Appeal For Witnesses: Upper Paya Lebar Rd-Bartley Rd Junction 25 Oct 06

Agnoxis

Hi all peeps, there was an accident that took place at the Upper Paya Lebar Road - Bartley Road junction about a month back (25 Oct at 5.40pm). A motorcycle travelling along Upper Paya Lebar Road proceeded straight across the junction on a green light, but a Mercedes Benz in the opposite direction turned right into Bartley Road simultaneously, without checking whether the coast was clear. The motorcyclist was flung 10m onto Bartley Road and conveyed to hospital later with a fractured leg.

I've attached a picture of the aftermath of the accident. Basically, I'm hoping that if there are any witnesses to this accident, please contact me at 8112-7014. This is important because it concerns the liability of the accident and subsequently, the claim amount.

There were a lot of vehicles passing by the accident scene because it was the evening peak period and everyone was going back home. If you happened to have witnessed the accident, pls contact me. Thanks.

[inline accident.jpg]

post-1-1165051560_thumb.jpg

Edited by Agnoxis
↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Amendments have been made. Picture is up, but not very sharp.

Anyway, the motorcycle box demarcates where the bike was originally going straight. Upon impact at that point, the bike and rider were flung to the locations as shown in the picture. The car also continued turning right and stopped just next to the rider.

Edited by Agnoxis

Hi, I wish the pics would make a difference but from what my pillion (who escaped generally unharmed) captured, there was nothing relevant to how the accident took place. There was also no traffic junction camera at this stretch, therefore nobody can prove that the green light was in my favour. In fact, it had only turned green for less than 10s when I got hit, so it was definitely a case of the driver being rash/impatient/careless and turning right into my direction.

That's why I need witnesses to prove that it was a green light in my favour. Otherwise, based on what I understand from prior cases, the ruling is that I'm 20% liable for this accident and he's 80% at fault. That may even be further altered based on whatever he said to the traffic police (I'm not sure about this).

I hope he was honest and said that it was his fault. Otherwise, if he claimed that I beat the red light and it was a green right-turn arrow for him, I may be the one who ends up getting charged with an offence. Or the liability percentages could be affected.

What an irony eh? I follow all the laws of defensive and safe riding, end up getting ploughed by a careless driver, suffer a fractured leg and may even be punished further for it.

I urge anyone who might have witnessed this accident to contact me, so at least I may resolve what exactly transpired that day.

Bro, i really feel the sweat for you [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop] and was glad that you are not too badly hurted [:)]

Hope some kind souls presented at that moment would browse through this thread and be your witness [nod][nod][nod]

Tarzan666 > Read that you also got into an accident while on a motorbike last time. Care to share your experience with me (including insurance claims, recovery etc)? PM me if you're not comfortable sharing on this thread.

Vooth > What was your case about? Similar situation? Straight vs right turn?

Mzmazda > Thanks for your concern. Yeah, I'm quite thankful I'm not horrendously injured but a active guy being made to stay at home and hobble around on crutches certainly isn't too pleasant either. I'm hoping to be able to push my recovery so that I can walk properly by Chinese New Year, but there is likely to still be a limp. [thumbsdown]

Once again, hoping that some kind passerby can contact me with regards to the accident.

Really hope biker is alright & make sure merc doesn't get away with it.

Btw, are there any vehicles queueing to turn rite in biker's direction? If so, I guess merc driver's view was blocked & assume it's clear. [shakehead]

There were no vehicles in the bike's direction turning right because all 3 lanes were GO STRAIGHT only. There is absolutely no excuse for the Merc driver not to see an oncoming vehicle, particularly when the bike is ORANGE in colour.

The biker is doing OK, but won't be able to walk for a while (broken leg). Hopefully, there won't be any permanent side-effects. [blush]

Hopefully, justice will be served.

I think merc driver must be not concentrating on driving(talking on phone, sleepy etc) or simply cannot judge opposite vehicle's speed & decide if it's safe to cross. [shakehead]

Biker really unfortunate to be in wrong place at wrong time. If he had crossed junction seconds earlier, might have avoided accident. Now really need evidence from witnesses, otherwise anyone's word goes. I been in this scenario before. In the end, 50-50 cause no witness willing to step up. [bigcry]

In future, we need to extra defensive when crossing such junctions especially we see a vehicle from opposite right lane slowing down. U'd never know when he will shoot out.

Neutral Newbie

Bro, did you make any police report about the accident? Were there any traffic police investigation? Any news from the IO so far?

Edited by Acrs
↡ Advertisement