What can I do with an additional 4 channel amp?

Dwoon

Hi all,

I'm currently running a 4 channel amp in the car. Setup is passive and having a 12" sub.

I now come across a 4 channel amp which is given together with a used HU which I am intending to get.

What can I do with this additional 4 channel amp? Can I use it to drive the rears (currently run by HU) and sub?

Any advise what or how to use it effecively or is it possible to even incorporate into the setup.

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Errrr.... how?

How much more auxilary stuff do I need? Cross-overs? etc.... finally, I understand that if I do not know how to tune, the sound might comes out even worse off right?

Are you running a pair of 2-way? What is the head unit? Yes, you will need a crossover to support. Otherwise, you can opt for a processor or a HU that has built in processor.

You will need extra speaker cables, interconnects. Not really a lot. The portion where it really needs a lot, is tuning them right. You can start to appreciate the concept first before jumping into active. Meetups are good opportunities to learn more.

You will have to discern the differences between passive and active and derive at its pros and cons to make the final decision. People has different opinions. Its important that you form your own and not under the influence of others. I am only suggesting. Do listen to more setups. wink.gif

Thanks for the advise.

My HU is still stock but might be getting a used Kenwood DPX-8030 HU (that's where the additional 4 channel amp is thrown in).

Err... what is 2-way? As in component speakers? If so, yes. Only the front. Rears are still stock paper ones.

What is your recommendation? Or should I ask.... what sorta $$$ would it set me back to go active? Tuning fees etc.... guess I'll just hold onto the amp in the meanwhile and just install the HU.

Thanks.

It should not cost you much if you know what you are looking for in 2nd hand sales. So, to save much more, first is to understand and appreciate the many brands around. I can see that you have just started off, I would like you to come to our meetups on Weds to see more and learn more.

You will potentially spend at least $1k...that is the time you start to be poisoned by ICE. Welcome onboard.

Yupe ..... bridge the more powerful amp to drive the mid for front components on one channel and the sub on the other channel.

Use the other amp for the tweeters and rear speakers ......

Or just sell it and use moolah to upgrade other components ..... [flowerface]