Bonnet soundproofing

F1fan

Neutral Newbie

Find my engine note a little too audible, would like to soundproof my bonnet.

Any bros here has got your bonnet soundproofed either through

i) DIY

ii) Done at accessories shop

to share the effectiveness and best material to consider? For those who DIY, some pics would go a long way.

↡ Advertisement

I got 10mm 3ft*4ft Superlon sheets and adhesive from Asiatic. The 10mm sheet and adhesive cost S$7.60 each, I did not check the price of the other sizes.

There is not much reduction in noise in fact, the main purpose of insulating the bonnet is for paint protection.

More info

http://www.asiaticgroup.com.sg/group/asiat...ell_tubing.html

Sizes avaliable

http://www.superlon.com.my/insul-Standardsizes.html

Contact

152, Owen Road

Singapore 218945

Tel + 65 6293 1958

Fax + 65 6292 6066

Email [email protected]

dscf0050gl9.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Garlic

Bonnet SP will have minimal effect on blocking noise into cabin. To effectively block engine noise you will need to do firewall SP which is a hell of a job... Need to remove dashboard etc to do a good job [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Personally I DIY 4 doors (3 layers of bitumen + Armaflex), boot well (same 3 layers) floor pan (1 layer bitumen and 1 layer Armaflex) and wheel arcs. Bonnet I used heat absorbing material... More for paint protection too...

Some pics of materials used... If you want pics of actual SP process let me know...

P1010035-1.jpg

Edited by Hobbes187

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the comments.

Quite keen to look at wheel arches/fender soundproofing too. Difficult to DIY?

Really depends on your car and whether you have a bodykit installed.

For my case, removing the 'banana leaf' was pretty tricky due to the frontlip and sideskirt. My factory soundproofing for the wheel arch is just a simple piece of sponge material.

Added multiple layers of bitumen and foam to both wheel arches, make sure you clean them with thinner before pastingl; its really dirty in there.

dscf0007zr1.jpg

I got the 10m roll... enough for the doors, boot and floor... I think boot area helps a lot especially for small hatchback like mine [:p]

What car you driving Garlic? I agree the satisfaction of doing it myself far outweighs the sweat, time and effort put into it... Easily can spend the whole day in the MSCP doing this [laugh]

Some more pics...

P1010039.jpg

P1010042.jpg

P1010053.jpg

Nicely done! [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Driving a Rio '06 HB. [:)]

I used the aluminium backed ones my doors, 3 layers inside and another 3 outisde, pretty easy to work with except for the sharp edges. The plastic backed one is really value for money for horizontal surfaces. [thumbsup]

Used RaamMat doe my floorpan before I found Mav's contact. [:/]

Yep, I too can spend the entire day getting my fingers black and sticky. [laugh][laugh]

dscf0004ak4.jpg

dscf0039fw3.jpg

dscf0045ei8.jpg

dscf0035av8.jpg

dscf0016ay6.jpg

Edited by Garlic

Neutral Newbie
[thumbsup] wow, u guys are good. have the guts to dismantle and remove car parts, lots of patience and good workmanship. [thumbsup][thumbsup] Edited by F1fan

Bro your door looks very much like mine... I used cable hunter aluminium backed ones for the doors + 3 layers of Armaflex. The aluminium are really sharp so I wear gloves [scholar]

Love the solid sound of the closing doors now [laugh]

Think I've done all I can for the SP as I dont plan to do the roof... Where else you gonna do with the next 1/2 roll?

My next sound reduction mod will be quiet tires -- Hankook V8RS [sly]

Edited by Hobbes187