Roll Cage installed in Singapore?

Mtang36

Neutral Newbie

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-20WxbNy-1000.html

I've asked LTA abour the installation of roll cages before and they replied with a huge No. Their reason showed that whoever was in charge of the issue, did not do their research. I'll not go into that... anyhow, what do you guys reckon? Does the car in the weblink have it on for real? Or just some fake tubings as cosmetics?

↡ Advertisement

Have you ever seen a drifter's car before?

If you have then you'll know the answer to your own question.

If not, I believe Chromas will be able to answer you.

I think I know who the owner is. [;)]

Edited by Icekitten

Neutral Newbie

heh heh heh, I remember they were catching cars with 3rd brakes lights citing as distraction before EU made it mandatory for all cars to have 3rd brake lights. I seriously wonder how decisions are made [;)]

Neutral Newbie

Yes, have seen cars prepped for drift events. Have driven cars with roll cages, but ain't it illegal to install it in Singapore? I dunno.. maybe times have changed and LTA's finally agreeable...

Not surprising if there are exceptions for drifters' cars, after all they take part in events abroad and sort of give SG a name in the world of drifting.

There are many high performance cars taking part in track events in MY too. Do you really think all of them are LTA-friendly?

Just give them a break. No point feeling sore that they can mod, and you cannot, coz they have truly valid reasons for doing such mods.

Neutral Newbie

Nah, not attacking them or anything actually... will be very happy infact that they've got 'em installed. Would love to see more cars in Singapore with roll cages. [:)] Was just wondering if this one had it on for real. Do you happen to know if it is?

I think LTA has the 'kiasee' syndrome. They scared dunno which ah dog and ah cat do the 'unprofessional' installation.

In an event of a crash the roll cage might not protect u worse it will go through your head or your body. That's why race events drivers ALWAYS wear HELMET so that they wun suffer permanant head damage in a crash.

And then there's a good chance u'll be trap in your roll caged car for good in a crash.

In a crash your roll cage might also cause injury to other road users if welds on the roll cage is not strong enough.

There are many possiblities as to what will happen. Just remember our cars are design for street use, race cars are for race events. U dun see F1 or WRC cars share roads with street cars?

yup i also dun understand the rationale behind not allowing roll cages [hur]

The rol cage protects the driver from being crushed when the car body crumbles upon impact. If hitting the roll cage is a concern, maybe can introduce compusory 4pt seat belts along with FIA appoved seats... padding or side airbags for the roll cage.. [laugh]

wanna mod, must do it all the way.. then become legal

i think the welding of the roll cage wld be stronger than the stock structure of the car.. the point is to enclose the driver in a cage so he doesn't get crushed. trapped inside is ok... there's always SCDF [laugh]

helmets alone won't help much if i'm not wrong... u can still injure your neck or spine in a serious crash. a neck support like the HANs would be useful [:)]

Neutral Newbie

Other countries aloow roll cages, however they must have certified paddings over the roll cage. The roll cage itself has to be certified. I believe that they're safe as well. The fastest and most powerful cars in the world rely on them... they must be of some good use. [:)]

I've asked LTA abour the installation of roll cages before and they replied with a huge No. Their reason showed that whoever was in charge of the issue, did not do their research. I'll not go into that... anyhow, what do you guys reckon? Does the car in the weblink have it on for real? Or just some fake tubings as cosmetics?

Can I ask what LTA said??? In aust, its legal to have approved cages and i know the rational behind not allowing all rollcages.

Oh and PM sent.

Edited by Elfenstar

Part of the rational in australia is that drivers may get trapped and injury from hitting the cage in less serious accidents.

Thats why all the approved street rollcages do not have a bar running across the length of the door. They have to be padded, and only approved cages (i.e. material and build) are allowed.

Neutral Newbie

I'm not taking side on lta but if they allow row cage to be installed then I think there will be more accidents on the road. Just imagine this will only encourage those reckless drivers or so call racers that roll cage will give them protection in crashes and they will just speed on any roads like nobody's business and cause dangers to other innocent drivers. Without row cage these crazy people already drive at high speed zip in and out of traffic without signalling. How many of people out there have this mentality that you only race in race tracks and not on public roads. I recalled afew years ago a straits times article interviewed afew so call racers and their teams and these crazy people race down orchard rd just to see who own the road. And why honda civic vtec's insurance is so high, why tp step up patrols on the roads? All thanks to these people.

Roll cages are useful. Only if paired with appropreiate safety equipment.

1) Are you prepared to wear a FIA approved helmet everytime you get into the car? If not, how do you feel about cracking your skull against bare metal of the rollcage in the event of an accident.

2) Are you prepared to wear a FIA approved Fire retardard suit everytime you get into the car? If not, would you like to be burned alive while struggling to escape from the car in the event of an accident

3) Are you prepared to install a FIA approved seats with HANS restraining device? Or do you rather smash your face against the rollcage in an accident.

4) Lastly are you prepared to waive off all liabilities in the event you are trapped in the car and SCDF personel in unable to free you in time becuase of the reinforce rollcages?

And the list goes on. It is true rollcages provide chassis strengthening and safety cages. But without the rest of the measures mentioned, it is more of a hazard to the driver.

mm... why can't s'pore do the same?

noticed that the rollcage on that S13 is like a simpler design than those full cages in rally cars.. seems like it's just there to reinforce the chasis n keep the shape of the car. is this like a street cage design?

what about those 5 star rating cars with all their safety devices, stability/traction control... etc. do these safety features encourage drivers to drive recklessly and inconsiderately knowing that they are invincible to crashes? [sweatdrop]

at the end of the day, it's still the driver.

↡ Advertisement