Will changing of rims & tyres affect ABS operation?

Friendstar

Hi, was tinking of changing my stock rims to bigger ones since my tyres are due for replacement.

But was afraid my abs will not work properly. pls kindly advice =)

↡ Advertisement

ABS works by detecting slip. if u use better, grippier tyres, yr ABS will hv less work to do. so unless u are going from 15" to a 22", nothing to worry abt.

Neutral Newbie

Technically it WILL affect the performance.

If the gripping level of the new tyre is much higher that your original tyre.

The accelerometer will sense a higher decelerationg G-force before the tyre start to lock. The radius of the bigger rim may also cause the 'rate of rotation at the imminent lock point' to be different.

Thus computer braking algorithm may not be able to adjust accurately and will pulse the master cylinder pressure non-optimally. Therefore you may actually need to change the anti-lock brake ECU. But of course in the worst case situation, the wheels will only lock the tyre, so there is no real danger. But there is a world of difference in a wet racing track condition for those race car drivers!

Its the same for the fuel injection algorithm...its designed for a range of air filter/exhaust/air flow/fuel type/ etc. If you change something in your engine system, then you will need to reprograme the ECU (which many WRX/EVO/BMW has done it)