Mazda MX-5 Hardtop

Kiss29

Neutral Newbie

My army good friend just received his 7 months fat bonus, and is determined to buy a MX-5 convertible. Knowing that I am 'expert' in cars, he consulted me where to buy cheaply.

I told him PI. He already got a Altis which he intend to let his wife drive, and the new MX-5 for him(or in his own words, if his wife is able to give him good service the night before, she can have the car for a few days - Haa Haa)

So flipping thru the newspaper, he saw a few ads that sells the hardtop version at $82k range(after cash rebates of course).

Now to expedite his sourcing effort he wants to know the 'standard' features of the car that is available from different PI. Like some may bring in original keyless entry or maybe original Bose Hifi. He wants to get the car before CNY. He also don't want to overpay for a lesser featured car, meaning for the same price maybe another PI has a unit that is better equipped.

Colors is not important to him....as a engineer...he is much interested in the standard equipment aspect of the car.

He understands the cash rebates system sonewhat and knows that ALL PI are out for a living. He is expected to place order this weekends, provided he can get one ready stock for CNY.

What he wants is to get a better equipped car at a 'normal price'. Not wanting to be carrot head chopped!

Anyone with some local knowledge of MX-5 to help?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

After checking the official Mazda listed price

AD price is $113K

PI price is $82K(after all the trickery rebates)

Thats $30k price difference....(A Nissan Latio weekend car can be bought!!)

Honestly it would be better to get from PI. Any problems with the car can be cushioned by the hugh price savings.

Also since its his second car, I think even if the car is in the workshop waiting for parts from Japan will not be a hassle(once again thinking of the HUGE $30k savings). He can always rent a car with the $30k savings??

Am I 'right' in the above reasoning? Any other point of view?

Actually, try not to look at the price after rebate...Look at those before rebate...Because the loans and rebates are based on them...

Just my 2 cents... [sweatdrop]

There should be 2 versions of MX-5 hardtop from PI.

The basic and full-spec model.

The basic is rarely had any equipment from the factory, no radio, bare steering, no leather, etc. All of which would be fitted locally, for example, depending on PI, you might get double-din HU, leather, leather-strapped steering wheel, etc.

I think a full car costs from PI for basic model should be around $93K for manual. It all depends on what is important to your friend. For me, the basic would be enough as the Bose hi-fi is not that great, and if you PI a Japanese radio in, the frequency would be wrong. Local leather is fine and they also wrap the steering wheel for you to get that chunky feeling.

Be careful which PI you buy from though .. I have no suggestion on which PI to go as I have not bought any cars from any PI before. All I know is hearsay.

Is $82k inclusive of COE?

Don't worry about maintenance. Its Jap and not an exotic. Local workshops are more than able to service it.

I was at Mazda Motor recently to test drive the MX-5 cabriolet to feel the performance. Though it is a fun and rather powerful car (1900cc & 160bhp), the senior sales staff who attended to me advised me that if really want power, the Mazda 6 MPS (2261cc & 260 bhp) would be a better buy.

But at the end of the day, it depends on the purchaser's choice.

As for me, since I have 2 grown-up children, I have a 4-door 1.6 Mit Lancer and a 2-door Merc CLK. However, the latter can seat 4 person comfortably whenever we go for functions, etc.

After checking the official Mazda listed price

AD price is $113K

PI price is $82K(after all the trickery rebates)

is this for the manual, auto or the roadster coupe version?

Neutral Newbie

Well...I have a Geely to transport my family and when I want to feel the power and open air wind rush.........I take my RXK (motorcycle)!!

Out of curiousity...after all that...did your friend get a PI version? Was there a big discrepancy between that and the 'authorised' version, and how much did it cost him to close the gap?

My army good friend just received his 7 months fat bonus, and is determined to buy a MX-5 convertible. Knowing that I am 'expert' in cars, he consulted me where to buy cheaply.

I told him PI. He already got a Altis which he intend to let his wife drive, and the new MX-5 for him(or in his own words, if his wife is able to give him good service the night before, she can have the car for a few days - Haa Haa)

So flipping thru the newspaper, he saw a few ads that sells the hardtop version at $82k range(after cash rebates of course).

Now to expedite his sourcing effort he wants to know the 'standard' features of the car that is available from different PI. Like some may bring in original keyless entry or maybe original Bose Hifi. He wants to get the car before CNY. He also don't want to overpay for a lesser featured car, meaning for the same price maybe another PI has a unit that is better equipped.

Colors is not important to him....as a engineer...he is much interested in the standard equipment aspect of the car.

He understands the cash rebates system sonewhat and knows that ALL PI are out for a living. He is expected to place order this weekends, provided he can get one ready stock for CNY.

What he wants is to get a better equipped car at a 'normal price'. Not wanting to be carrot head chopped!

Anyone with some local knowledge of MX-5 to help?