Is it worth buying second hand ICE equipment?

Garlic

Hi guys,

I have a friend whose collecting his new car soon and wishes to install an entry level sound system.

I have managed to get him a quotation which cost slightly over 1K with brand new components. However, he has expressed interest in another guy's second hand setup as its cheaper. After factoring in the cost of transferring it from one car to another, its not really that cheap either.

My question here is, is it worth the risk buying second hand ICE equipment? From what I know, the seller is someone who loves to blast his music and the setup is about 1.5yrs old.

I hope I can talk him out of it as I feel its not a wise move, do not want him to be penny wise pound foolish.

What is the average lifespan of an amp and component speaker?

Thanks [:)]

↡ Advertisement

I have a friend whose collecting his new car soon and wishes to install an entry level sound system.

Entry level systems is the right way to go if you are not into high quality expectations

I have managed to get him a quotation which cost slightly over 1K with brand new components. However, he has expressed interest in another guy's second hand setup as its cheaper. After factoring in the cost of transferring it from one car to another, its not really that cheap either.

The transfering of a setup to another shld not be that high a cost. maybe you can let us know what is the cost exactly for us to give u some advice. but as a genral guideline, 2nd hand equipment shld not be more that 50% unless if it is of a reputable brand or a collectors' item. even so, the price shld not differ that much.

My question here is, is it worth the risk buying second hand ICE equipment? From what I know, the seller is someone who loves to blast his music and the setup is about 1.5yrs old.

Blasting music has alot of different levels. too many non ice people, they would consider our normal listening level to be blasting. if he is not really pushing the system to its max ie if go anymore, the speakers will burn, it shld be fine.

But just a word of advice, it would be wise to do your own research on the things you are abt to buy from the seller and do your own assessment of the state of the product. a calculated risk is definitely safer.... so cant really say whether taking the risk is worth it or not...

One more thing would be that a system might sound good in someone's car but might not sound that same in another.....

I hope I can talk him out of it as I feel its not a wise move, do not want him to be penny wise pound foolish.

It is true that one shld not be penny wise and pound fool.... but i am penny wise and pound fool... my whole setup is 2nd hand and i mean WHOLE except for my caps.... they have not given me any problem since. the only problem so far was the installers and i have eradicated that by deciding to go DIY

What is the average lifespan of an amp and component speaker?

Speakers shld be alive for 7-10yrs amps depend. if you are getting tube amp, 5000hrs not so sure abt solid states

Hope your friend will have a good time choosing his system and we welcome him into the ice community!!

What does the slightly over $1K consist of? Tweeter + Mid Brass + AMP? What brand? Is this Entry level? [:)] You should be able to get the above setup around $800

For 2nd hand product, although hardware should be sold at half price, but the installation fee might work up to be around $250. Do take note

I am also looking around at this stage, trying to find good deals ... [laugh]

Depends...

if it's speaker, I would prefer new ones coz 2nd hand usually have higher rate of "wear and tear" and given the tropical climate, the material deteriorate much faster.

As for amp, I would compare the price of it new vs the 2nd hand. it must be a fair price.

Next up will be the cost of transferring the 2nd hand product vs the overall cost of buying a new one which usually factor in the installation price.

Sound easy but if your friend don't know a single thingy, then too bad.

But at around 1k, I think it's a good lesson learnt if it turn out unpleasant.

Well, there's always this forum...

Simply list out what you get brand new and the price...

And list out what you get 2nd hand and the price and i'm pretty sure you'll get lots of good advice which to go for :)

As for me, i like 2nd hand...My old setup was completely 2nd hand...except i had to go through buying 2 power caps that didn't work but got a refund...

My speakers,amps and woofer all 2nd hand..all no problem...

But i've since changed all to brand new cause well, i got a good deal and maybe you do to?

Just list out what you'll be getting...many of us will roughly know the actual prices and advice you if you've been "cut" or are getting a good deal.

(edited)

The quotation I got him consists of a set of 6.5" component speakers, 4 channel amp, a pair of coaxial and 12" woofer with box. After factoring in installation charges, its slightly over 1K, all the components are from the DB drive range.

As for the second hand set, the seller has requested to perform the swap at his own installer and it will cost $300 inclusive of new wires.

Edited by Garlic

Neutral Newbie

my whole setup is also 2nd hand, HU amps front components and sub

i think the main thing is to research on what you are going to buy, and the price when new and the person is offering and if its worth it or not

best is if u can audit before buying. if you like the sound, then why not get the whole setup even though its 2nd hand?

Ah...DB Drive range...i'm running a full DB drive range...they're best bang for the buck products.

Anyways, just wondering, component speaker plus coaxial speakre plus woofer with box but only 1 4ch Amp? Is there even going to be enough? You'll need at least 5ch unless you intend to run the coaxials via the HU...If so, then why bother with coaxials...just stay with your stock speakers, doubt it's gonna be much diff if they're not going to be powered by an amp...

Well, if you still need to consider, you can come down on Wed for our ICE meetup and you can hear my full DB and then decide if you want DB or the 2nd hand one :)

Neutral Newbie

50W max power, but about 17-18W RMS power. don't be fooled. but 17W RMS is quite loud enough for pesky rear speakers. some people prefer to run 0W power if they don't have the capability to tune these rears correctly. i can sell u a good 2nd hand amp with 0W power if u're willing to part with your hard-earned moolah.