Fuel Additives.. Do They Actually Work?

J_c_boy

Good morning, Brothers [wave]

I'm sure that in the course of our car ownership, fuel additives are definitely one of the most marketed products at the service workshops. Question is, are the chemicals as efficacious as what the manufacturers claim them to be? An episode of 'MythBusters' screened on Discovery channel yesterday compared the various genres of fuel additives, ranging from the straightforward fuel 'adhesives' and 'start-up magnets' to complicated 'hydrogen combustion engines'. And guess what? The wide variety of fuel enhancement products achieve merely identical or for some, lower fuel economy as compared to the native fuel.

So, Brothers, any experience with the fuel additives? Opinions as far as I gather seem to be divided between the good and the bad.

Thank you and have a great day ahead [sunny]

↡ Advertisement

The Tests done by Mythbusters. Do they meet your scrutiny? Did they run controls? Do their controls satisfy you?

What would you like to see more tested?

You got to look into their results and their methodology. Make your decision to either believe their test results or not. The above questions are important. No controls, no talk.

i've tried diesel additives when i was driving a van. they did have some effect. perhaps it's because i was using the diesel from "industrial" pumps.

i have not, and will not try petrol additives for the forseeable future. reason being that the petrol companies have already (claimed, advertised and marketed) that their petrol contains detergents (techron for e.g.) and whatnot to clean your engine that i shall just not bother. but i shall suspend judgement until i try it for myself

I've tried the black bottle STP Fuel Injector Cleaner, a bottle per tank full, I gained 40km extra. It worked for me but not economically viable.

Edited by Kklee

Neutral Newbie

Yah exactly!

There are additives that cleans the fuel system.

There are additives that cleans the combustion.

There are additives that boost octance.

There are many on the market that do work very well at what they are designed to do.

And then, there are "additives" that have ridiculous claims of doing everything under the sun at unbelievable efficiency that is plain BS.

Good morning, Brothers [wave]

I'm sure that in the course of our car ownership, fuel additives are definitely one of the most marketed products at the service workshops. Question is, are the chemicals as efficacious as what the manufacturers claim them to be? An episode of 'MythBusters' screened on Discovery channel yesterday compared the various genres of fuel additives, ranging from the straightforward fuel 'adhesives' and 'start-up magnets' to complicated 'hydrogen combustion engines'. And guess what? The wide variety of fuel enhancement products achieve merely identical or for some, lower fuel economy as compared to the native fuel.

So, Brothers, any experience with the fuel additives? Opinions as far as I gather seem to be divided between the good and the bad.

Thank you and have a great day ahead [sunny]

1. Their result are usually short-lived. I've tried octane booster (given free when purchase some engine oil). Well, slightly more mileage gained. Not sure whether alright to use it on a prolonged basis?

2. I used engine cleanser before (alos given free), claimed to clear sludge and dirt built-up and etc. Anyway, I can't tell the effect too. So I thought the result would only be more significant for COE cars.

Regards,