Auto trans the way of the future?

Vtfoo

Neutral Newbie

This topic is sensitive to say the least.

But with the introduction of the WRX 2.0 Auto, it just occurs to me that it may well spell the beginning of the end for the good old stick and the clucth pedal.

With more and more auto trans offering manual over-ride as well and 6-speed auto, what does the future hold for the faithful manual trans?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

The torque converter will never be as effective and efficient as the good old clutch. I think the future is sequential manual, i.e. Selespeed, Dual Logic, SMG, DSG, etc, in much improved form to provide the smoothness of auto with the effectiveness and efficiency of a true manual.

Neutral Newbie

There will be less and less manual and more and more auto trans in future. Eventually, car sold as auto is cheaper than manual and because manual became a scarce item, servicing of manual become more ex than auto. Would you still insist on manual then?

A case in point is the Tuscani, many people like to have manual because of the better pick up but the Agent only bring in auto with the better spec and sells at a competitive price. end up all go for the auto tranny cos it is a better buy. And frankly, here in sg the auto is more useful than the manual. Besides, there is this tiptronic shift that you may like to explore when you headed North.

Edited by Mobilio

Neutral Newbie

Manual gearboxes don't need servicing lah. Just need to replace clutch when it wears out and typically it will outlast the kind of driving S'pore drivers do before they sell off their rides.

The auto thingy is only perculiar to a few countries where drivers are not too keen to learn and be engaged with driving. Such countries include US and S'pore. Ask any car enthusiast (real one who understand the technical aspect of driving, not those who are more concerned with how their cars look), the manual gearbox is always preferred as it provide a more rewarding experience and more reliable.

Tiptronic is just a toy - something to please the lazy drivers out there. If you want true racing technology, get the sequential manual.

Neutral Newbie

But 99% of the time we are caught in the Jam now in all our expressway, I'll still prefer to drive auto if the price is not significantly large. I won't go to a circuit to burn tyre for sure. Better still if the auto come with cruise control, you can avoid summon in the likely spot up North. My friend driving Lancer CVT gives him a return of 14km per little which is quite impressive.

Neutral Newbie

Agreed that in traffic congestion, auto is easier to drive than manual. But driving in traffic congestion is not really driving; one can't really enjoy the ride in traffic congestion. I always plan my trip to avoid traffic congestion. Anyway, traffic congestion in S'pore is not as bad as in other large cities such as KL and Bangkok. The trouble with S'pore traffic is road-hogging and lack of driving skills when it is wet (probably made worst by wrong choice of tyres for our kind of weather, i.e. prefering quietness over traction in the wet).

Cruise control is a separate system from auto or manual gearboxes. My ride got a 6-speed manual and also equiped with cruise control.

Anyway, I tried many auto cars and just can't accept driving with the feeling of "being driven".

Neutral Newbie

I don't understand how manual car can equipped with cruise control as it needs to change gear when required. Pardon me for my limited knowledge.

With more and more auto trans offering manual over-ride as well and 6-speed auto, what does the future hold for the faithful manual trans?

probably MI marketing think all WRX & STI owners wanna their wifey and gf to drive them......... [:p][:p][:p]

Neutral Newbie

DSG is essentially a sequential manual such as Selespeed (Alfa), Dual Logic (Maserati) and SMG (BMW) but with 2 clutches to reduce upshift time. That's why I think the future is sequential gearbox and not auto, as the clutch is more effective and efficient than the torque converter.

Neutral Newbie

This is not what MI think but a true fact. Many wify complaint that the hubby enjoy the drive while they have to take a cab. The statistic prove it as the first batch of auto WRX was sold sold out within weeks.

Neutral Newbie

With an auto or sequential manual put in auto mode, the cruise control effect the gear changes necessary when the speed drops to below what the currently engaged gear can handle. In a manual, the cruise control doesn't mess about with the gearbox but instead, the driver decides which gear he wants the car to cruise in. Anyway, cruise control is meant for highway run which means the travelling speed is relatively high and doesn't vary over a wide range, i.e. can just put in one gear (typically the highest ratio, e.g. 5th or 6th) and cruise, so no need to change gear lah. i drive in 6th from 70km/h onwards all the time and just depress the accelerator to overtake. If want to overtake like in F1 then downshift to 3rd or 4th lor.

not completely true la.. only singapore is too small.. n traffic lite everywher.. tats y auto better preferred...

i went holland n china recently... hardly auto car... mostly manual... n it's a law in holland to drive manual for environment purpose... auto pay more tax thou... haha...

Neutral Newbie

The manual trannies are still imho, more rugard and they outlast the auto tranny relatively easily. Servicing is relatively simple, just drain and top up. No hassle like most of the auto tranny, where the workshops insisting on flushing. The last one i went to threatened that if i don't flush my tranny, it will up lorry soon. Then i ask how much would they charge? Slightly over half a grand, for tranny alone.

I still think it would take many decades for the brained transmission to be cheaper than the no brainer simpler design transmission.

Edited by Megalord

Yes, I believe MI is targeting to get more lady owners of their WRXs, which is why they brought in the auto variants.

Looking at the fact that in the US, majority of the vehicles, be it cars or trucks, are auto.

↡ Advertisement