Audi sales continue to race ahead

Meggyc

Neutral Newbie

German marque beat rivals in S'pore last year with 21% jump in sales

By SAMUEL EE (BT 24/1/07)

IN LINE with its worldwide performance, Audi was the fastest-growing brand in the luxury-car segment in Singapore too last year, with sales up 21 per cent to 651 units.

Audi was the only premium brand to register double-digit growth in Singapore in 2006

With the car as the only premium brand to register double-digit growth, its authorised distributor Premium Automobiles has set sights on selling 850 units this year.

The German marque has been growing steadily over the past few years, with 465 units sold in 2004 and 537 units in 2005.

Arguably, Audi's main competitors here have a volume of up to six times, but their sales registered only single-digit gains in 2006.

For example, fellow German manufacturer BMW saw sales rise 6.1 per cent to 3,680 units, while Mercedes-Benz grew by 6.3 per cent to 3,182 units. Japan's Lexus chalked up 5.3 per cent more units to 2,045.

As in previous years, the bulk of Audi models registered last year was of the A4 saloon. But the gap between the 44 per cent of A4 sold and the 33 per cent of the slightly larger A6 sedan chosen by customers is narrowing, according to Premium's chief operating officer, Marc Singleton.

'We anticipate that in 2007, the A6 will equal or surpass the A4 in volume,' he says, adding that the A6's increasing popularity is due to its wider engine options and growing brand recognition.

Mr Singleton expects the A4 and A6 to account for 31 per cent each of total Audi sales in 2007.

The arrival of new models will also play a part in the A4's lower contribution to overall volume. These include the A3 hatchback and its performance variant, the 265hp turbocharged S3 with quattro all-wheel-drive; as well as fun lifestyle models like the TT Coupe and the R8 supercar.

Together, these two segments are expected to account for 28 per cent of total sales next year.

Audi's traditional strength in the performance segment will also get a powerful boost this year, with the introduction of models like the RS4 Cabriolet and the 450hp S8 performance limousine. The latter, which has a 5.2-litre naturally aspirated V10, costs $455,000 and is being launched this month.

These new sports models are also expected to continue playing a big role in elevating the Audi brand image.

'With the line-up of performance models, 2007 will also mark the year when Audi's offensive in the 'fun' segment will intensify,' said Mr Singleton. 'On the international motoring scene, Audi will launch the A5 Coupe and the RS6 in the second half of 2007. From a marketing viewpoint, the arrival of these models will certainly resurrect and kindle interest in other models within the Audi line-up.'

He adds that Premium's after-sales service has also played a key role in its efforts to grow volume.

'Having established a strong foundation in the area of after-sales, Premium Automobiles will capitalise on this competitive advantage by highlighting our commitment to service,' he says. 'The challenge, as Audi grows in volume, is to maintain the high standards of service that our customers have come to expect from us.'

Audi is the fastest-growing premium brand in the world, achieving record sales for the 11th year running. The Ingolstadt-based car-maker sold 905,000 cars last year, an increase of 9.2 per cent, and it will be announcing record revenue and earnings soon.

1118.jpg

le_mans_2004.jpg

header.jpg

1105.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TfbcvRg7MY

Edited by Meggyc
↡ Advertisement

personally the RS4 is a super car but mainstream model the audi a4 2.0 which is the main seller at premium is really a lousy drive IMHO. engine very noisy when pushed.

i would really prefer a 320i to the A4.

somehow front wheel drive cars are not as fun to drive as rear wheel ones

the A6 is nice to drive and have good prescence, but strictly for businessmen ...

tried out the new TT coupe 2.0 .....awesome.. but it is a strict two seater and the golf GTI gives you the same engine for a lot less moola. the TT coupe's biggest enemies will be the Z4 (even more expensive ) and the 350Z ( which is cheaper and oh so lovely to drive) [flowerface]

Marc Singleton used to be from Performance Motors right? Seems like he's really good in what he does. But I remembered he was charged for taking bribes...he admitted guilty and was fined.

Edited by Fcw75

Neutral Newbie

I suppose many of you have not drive the S line and Quattro Audi cars. [lipsrsealed]

In any case, the price tag of Audi/BMW/Mercedes are really way beyond the pockets of lots of people here, I don't suppose anyone would take a > 100K car for 'fun' driving [shocked]

yup....he is very clever at marketing.... [thumbsup] during the past one year, he has shifted a lot of sales of audi cars....the sales people at audi also very polite and helpful.....the A4 was going at around 114K + if i not wrong during the recent promotion. snapped up like hotcakes....too bad the price doesnt include free servicing....when those poor audi owners service their cars at premium automobiles then they will [jawdrop][furious]

bro meggyc

have u driven a RS4 before ? i wonder if they allow it for test drive....drool..... [:p] now a days a lot of audi put on s line badges dunno real a not. perhaps the s line badges are like bmw M badges...each badge gives u an extra +5 or +10 horsepower.. [laugh]

i'm sure audi quattro cars are great but at the exorbitant prices at which they are sold at in Singapore....i think few singaporeans will drive their precious expensive luxury makes hard....most of the audi owners are people who are very careful with their precious cars....they will never abuse it on a track

personally the RS4 is a super car but mainstream model the audi a4 2.0 which is the main seller at premium is really a lousy drive IMHO. engine very noisy when pushed.

i would really prefer a 320i to the A4.

somehow front wheel drive cars are not as fun to drive as rear wheel ones

the A6 is nice to drive and have good prescence, but strictly for businessmen ...

tried out the new TT coupe 2.0 .....awesome.. but it is a strict two seater and the golf GTI gives you the same engine for a lot less moola. the TT coupe's biggest enemies will be the Z4 (even more expensive ) and the 350Z ( which is cheaper and oh so lovely to drive) [flowerface]

i think alot depends on the target segment. a 350z while lovely to drive, is still a nissan. so the branding is different altogether. the 320 is a better car, but the a4 is quite a bit cheaper and dun forget the 320 is made is SA. audi has been known for its built quality and superd interiors. comparing a golf to a TT? ask any german how VW and audi are positioned and you'll get the answer. engine noisy? tat doesnt mean the drive is lousy. alfa engines are noisier but no alfisti is complaining. in fact, they want the noise!

have u driven a RS4 before ? i wonder if they allow it for test drive....drool..... now a days a lot of audi put on s line badges dunno real a not. perhaps the s line badges are like bmw M badges...each badge gives u an extra +5 or +10 horsepower..

i'm sure audi quattro cars are great but at the exorbitant prices at which they are sold at in Singapore....i think few singaporeans will drive their precious expensive luxury makes hard....most of the audi owners are people who are very careful with their precious cars....they will never abuse it on a track

RS4 not for open test drive, selected customers only. The test car is a Sprint blue saloon owned by the Audi boss.

in reality most guys that buy a RS4 dont bother to test really. it is a frighteningly fast car even fully loaded with 4 people. very easy to drive also and tuned to be very 'safe', too much power into a corner and the ESP/ASR will kick in and lower the engine output for you/brake the wheels etc. actually quite brainless to drive and the clutch is not heavy also. its positioned like a everyday 'supercar' like a 911 turbo - easy to drive, very fast and still everyday friendly.

BMW M is positioned equvalent to Audi RS range (or vice versa)

S-line is just a trim/styling package. usually sports suspension and S-line body kit+other little bits here and there. the engine output is the same as the regular models. The S-Line badges already come with the cars direct from the factory when you order a S-Line vehicle.

and yes, we track the Audi cars...but with great care :-P we have some GTIs that do a sub 2:50 at sepang.

[lipsrsealed] very likely it is after cashback from taking 7 or 10 year loan.....sure got gimmick one...but then again....it is a good chance to own a car with really nice interior.....but the bmw 320i is a better buy and drive IMHO.... [sly]

Neutral Newbie

These guys from Ingolstadt make the prettiest mass market consumer cars around- the A6 & Q7 especially. Lookswise, both in and out, the bimmers and the mercs cant hold a handle to these chaps.Its in the driving dynamics department where they are playing catch-up with the others, IMHO.

I am not an audi sales person and neither am I affiliated to them.

Just giving credit where its due.

Edited by Fang
↡ Advertisement