If you have a S'pore driving licence JPJ will not renew your M'sian licence

Phantom76

From The STAR:

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...2003&sec=nation

By TEH ENG HOCK

JOHOR BARU: Motorists will not be able to renew their driving licence if they have obtained a Singapore licence.

State Road Transport Department (JPJ) director Mohd Rosli Ramli said this was done to make it easier to trace drivers who committed traffic offences on either side of the Causeway.

↡ Advertisement

I know for sure if you want to convert to a Singapore license, you need to give up your Malaysian one.

But if a person takes and pass the Singapore license, how would JPJ know whether he has Singapore license?

Neutral Newbie

I would think they are being open minded. Not many country would accept his own citizen holding another country's driving license and driving in its own country with its own country registerd vehicle. Try asking our LTA to implement this rule and you would get F***.

In fact, it is better for Malaysian to hold SGP license and if one day they decide to go OZ, the license can be converted directly without having to go for another test. If they are still holding MYS license, they need to retake the test. This happenned to my friends in OZ recently. Anyway, you only need to pay one time charge of $50 for SGP license and it is valid for life thereafter, its a very good deal for Malaysian.

nothing new lar... it ahs been this way for many years already....

i think it's cross agreement btw both country....

just like, when i want to convert to SG license, LTA want me to retrieve a letter from JPJ provingg that i "kill" my MY license before SG allow me to convert..... IF this is all MY law, why should LTA be bother do i have valid MY license or not... [:p]

yalor... why bother....

SG license can drive both cars but MY license only MY car and not to mention SG license cost $50 for life.... [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Foreign license can only drive for 3 months after landing in OZ. If you work or study in OZ, you need to convert to OZ license in order to drive there.

No lah its another of their goondu mentality. What farking security reason? For one, I dont think SG driving licence std is inferiro to theirs, let alone many msian driving licence are bought with $$ without even going to test centres. Why do I know? My cousins in KL and PJ and Melaka all like that one [laugh]

If u can drive, u can drive. Well pay them RM$500 n see whether they will reconsider yr case or not, am sure they will. Malaysia Boleh Makan $$$ only

Neutral Newbie

If you have been in Australia for a period of more than 3 months, you cannot use a foreign licence, hence got to apply for their local licence.

Is it? when me go NZ and US, me apply international license which last one yr... only pay $20. No need to convert whatsoever.

When in Australia, nobody bothers whether I hv OZ license. They just see me SG license, and say OK, can drive..... so nvr know this rule.

Also, nvr hear my bro and sis-in-law mentioned abt changing license b4. But make sense to change to OZ license if go there long term lah.

Neutral Newbie

As a tourist, they accept you are on short term visit and do not require you to convert to their license. But for the long term use of their road. It would be wise to convert as you would be faced with severe penalty, e.g the insurance co. not paying for the damages or worse, the third party claim on losses after an accident which amount can be quite substantial.

Foreign license can only drive for 3 months after landing in OZ. If you work or study in OZ, you need to convert to OZ license in order to drive there.

Wrong, if you are in victoria, australia. If your visa is temporary, eg Student visa. You can drive on your overseas licence for indefinite period provided your licence is issued in English.

see: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licens...ersLicences.htm

I know for sure if you want to convert to a Singapore license, you need to give up your Malaysian one.

But if a person takes and pass the Singapore license, how would JPJ know whether he has Singapore license?

hi,

like bro nhyone says, how would JPJ know??

believe their central system is still like "half-bucket water"?.... [bounce2]

Neutral Newbie

Oops, mine is PR visa, I though all the same as they told me that foreign license can drive for 3 months and must convert it within the period. My wife's SGP license converted to OZ after a simple eye test. But SGP license invalidated by a punched hole. The OZ license valid for ten years and need to renew after that.