S'pore car caught by Malaysian windows tint laws

Fabulous

Extracted from http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/viewPost1917.aspx

Your car windows may be tinted too dark for Malaysia.

Lawrence Lee, 47, was on his way to Malacca on Feb 10 when he was stopped by the Malaysian traffic police for having side windows that were too dark.

According to Mr Lee, the traffic police tested his windows and found that the light transmittance was about 30%, below the 50% required in Malaysia. Mr Lee was fined RM300.

The official website of the Malaysian transport authority states that 70% of all light must be able to pass through the front and rear windscreens and 50% of light through the side windows.

Offenders can be fined up to RM500 and even be imprisoned up to 2 weeks.

In comparison, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) allows darker rear windows in Singapore: the resultant light transmittance for the rear windscreen and rear passenger windows only need to be more than 25%. For front windscreen and front side windows, the requirement is 70%.

In other words, your tinted rear windows may be perfectly legal in Singapore, but run afoul of the laws in Malaysia when you drive up north.

"I just want to raise the awareness that you can be booked for things other than speeding, and I urge other drivers to be careful," Mr Lee explained. "I wonder if they'll book me for my big sports rims next time?"

[jawdrop]

Looked like Malaysia damn "Bway Song" Singaporeans and is trying to find fault with us, sometimes I was thinking, is it worth risking going inside??

post-1-1171386143_thumb.jpg

post-1-1171386144_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fabulous
↡ Advertisement

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/viewPost1917.aspx

i would have f**cked that bloody officer.

The law should only be applicable to local cars what!!

And it's the malaysian cars that are heavily tinted most of the time anyways.

I think our traffic police should set up rd blocks just after our customs. Fine all their heavily illegally mod-ed protons(being generic)

Edited by Carcraze

Supercharged

you mean wherever a SG reg'd vehicle goes it is only governed by SG law? hur.gif

then SG gov can take over Malaysia just by sending SG cars over... drivingcar.gif

laugh.gif

Neutral Newbie

so so true!!!

but people still wants to go in there for the sake of going in... why not rent?? it cost a little more but how many times can u afford to pay blood suckers!!

Neutral Newbie

Hmmm... I was once stopped by their TP for having white lights... they show me some article written in malay which I could not understand.. probably they are more interested in some undertable money... So I told them my car is legal in Singapore and govern by my country law... If they wish, they could issue a summon and I be gladly pay in JB... Needless to say, no summon issued... [rolleyes]

Morale of the story... Corruption is very open, I am wondering if anyone knows which authority in Malaysia can we report for corruption.. hmmm

Thats bullsh|t.

The car is a singapore registered vehicle. What jurisdiction do they have???

There is indeed a minor clause.... think from 1978 tat allow either country to excerise the other country traffic rules.

Tats the based for the OPC thingy last time round

Thats bullsh|t.

The car is a singapore registered vehicle. What jurisdiction do they have???

When you drive over...you are bound by M'sian law. Comply or dun go.

Not whacking SG cars only...my friend's M'sian registered car also kenna.

Neutral Newbie

Yeah, Why LTA did not do anything to those stupidly moded and dangarous Malaysian Car in Singapore????They endanger the road user in Singapore too...Why TP not do anything on them instead keep booking it own people for speeding lah... [rifle]