Noisy knocking when starting up cold engine

Ckoonyin

Dear bros and lao jiaos,

have having a problem that is driving me nuts. [hur]

Basically, i am experiencing this knocking sound when i start my engine whe it is cold especially in the morning. [:(]

I have went back to the mechanic and they have tightened the belt and lubricated the pulleys but problem persist and i think it is getting worst in terms of duration of the noise. [thumbsdown][furious]

It does goes away when the engine warms up but it comes back again once engine cools done. [:/]

I have attached a short video clip which i have taken as it is hard for me to describe the sound.

Help pls!!

p/s: the attached clip is in 3gp format. For those who do not have a player, it can be downloaded here http://www.download.com/3GP-Player-2006/30...4-10613952.html

knocking.3GP

Edited by Ckoonyin
↡ Advertisement

I have a similar problem once with my Sonata... after some troubleshooting, it appears be the oil/gas regulator leak or something... just change it and the issue is resolved.. Hope it helps... or it could be the idle pulley ball bearings...

oh but in your case after warming up it is ok?

As for the pully ball bearings, you are refering to those which the engine belt is wrapped around?

Neutral Newbie

mine previously got the sound of knocking too, so the machanic suggest to change the engine oil to semi syn. so now the knocking sound is gon't.

Hey guys, thank you for your kind effort in viewing the video.

So in summary what I believe that can be done is to change the oil to Semi Syn?

Other than that, what else can I do to resolve the problem? What can I tell to the mech to resolve the problem?

The hard part is by the time I drive to the workshop, the engine is warmed up liao and no more sound :(

Any advise?

Neutral Newbie

Hi... sorry to dig up such an old thread.. may i know whether the issue is finally resolved and how... me having same problem for 07 latio... Thanks

Hi... sorry to dig up such an old thread.. may i know whether the issue is finally resolved and how... me having same problem for 07 latio... Thanks

why not bring to WS check?

Maybe can try using lower temperature and thinner viscosity of syn engine oil eg. 0W30?

Neutral Newbie

A bit tricky coz the rattling sound is only for the first 10 sec or so.. After tt no more... Don know how to show WS.. lol. Thinner EO helps? How? Thnx

A bit tricky coz the rattling sound is only for the first 10 sec or so.. After tt no more... Don know how to show WS.. lol. Thinner EO helps? How? Thnx

Cud it b yr engine design e top of engine where cams r all oil drain down to sump.

U start it takes a few seconds to pump up e oil to cams.

Or yr oil filter not original n oil drains out when u park?

↡ Advertisement