KIA Carens : got it last week but.....

Cosx

Neutral Newbie

Dear friends at this forum.... this is my first post in this forum and hope to join you guys/gals for a good time!

Got my Kia Carens last week. All was fine except some disappointment about the auto trans and the fuel consumption!

The auto trans gear shift seems so stiff and plunge to higher gear lower rev so fast that the car could sustain the necessary torque to go (especially uphill....)

The fuel consumption was also horrible, even after I add in the compensation for the differences in the size of the tyres... I am get so little km/litre that I am so embarassed to post! The specs says about 10-11 ...

I understand that new cars needs run-in but I don't that it is so bad... if any can help me on these questions, I would be most appreciative!

Cheers

COSX

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Hi Cosx, welcome to the Forum [cool]

Have you spoken to the people at Kia? C&C right? Perhaps they could reprogram your autobox for you. After that, you could record the mileage again to see if that improves the consumption. Let the vehicle run in first and try again.

Edited by Magfocus

Anyway, what is the capacity of your Carens? If it's the 2 litre model, it probably might be the inherent design of the vehicle such that the gearbox is optimising the available torque, due to the low engine capacity( low torque) in conjunction with the heavy body mass.

Neutral Newbie

the car is 1.8 Auto... the body weight is less that 1290kg, but it seems to me that the mileage is about only 8km/litres! The car is yet to due to for its first servicing; will probably check with the staff then... sigh [:/] ...

(edited)
the car is 1.8 Auto... the body weight is less that 1290kg, but it seems to me that the mileage is about only 8km/litres! The car is yet to due to for its first servicing; will probably check with the staff then... sigh [:/] ...

Usually for new cars, before the components have run in, its not unusual to see poor economy. Wait for the first servicing and see if it improves then! If you do know other owners of the same make and model, you should check with them as well..so that you could see if you are the odd one out... [:/]

Edited by Magfocus

(edited)

cosx,

What is the figure quoted in the manual? Perhaps you want to do a comparison. 8km/l for an auto sounds reasonable to me.

Tyre size? 15" I guess. anyway, give it sometime for the breaking in and later the engine should be more seasoned, say the first 5000

Edited by E46RadX

cosx,

What is the figure quoted in the manual? Perhaps you want to do a comparison. 8km/l for an auto sounds reasonable to me.

Tyre size? 15" I guess. anyway, give it sometime for the breaking in and later the engine should be more seasoned, say the first 5000

Nik,

Actually 8km/l is pretty bad for a 1.8 auto, Gavin's brick gets that and its a 2 litre turbo! Its auto as well. I guess that it could be because its still in the running in stage. Should be better once the engine has loosened up [:)]

Hi Cosx,

Welcome, and we hope you make MCF your regular pit-stop! w.r.t. your consumption, if you haven't done more than 1000km, I wouldn't start worrying as yet. My car's official figures are something like 14km/l, and I was shocked when it at first struggled to do better 10! Even after nearly 2000km, the best I could manage was 11, but now at over 4000km we're over 13. So this running-in thing can be quite significant, just be patient and I'm sure things will improve. [:)]

(edited)

Yeah, agree. Give it another 2-3000 km before you really do some calculations. Have a gd day

Edited by E46RadX

Neutral Newbie

E46RadX,

well, the specs in the manual did not mentioned anything, but the official specs I got from other people from the internet, is about 10+ km/litre for combined driving. Now it is about 7+ km/litre.

I added about 5% to the mileage after change 185/65 R14 to 195/60 R15.

Thanks for all the help (Thanks magfocus too).

Will just wait for the first and second servicing.... see also if anyone owning the car can give me some consolation... [:/]

Cheerio!

Neutral Newbie

Hi Seansene,

MCF will definitely be my official pit-stop (when I am not travelling that is...) I am so glad that I found this place.. (through my brother's recommendation!).

Used to be at Delphi but decided to migrate here.. [;)]

Thanks for the advise... but I am not hopeful (just called the Technical Advisor in C&C, and he confirmed that about 8-9km/litre is the norm..). Give him a piece of my mind and asked him to tell his agent in the showroom not to boast about the 10-11 figs... In fact someone in the internet also told me about 10-11 (he said he owe the car,... now I suspect he is from C&C).

Well at least the ride and the other features are ok... taking it with a "pint" of salt!

Cheers

COSX

Neutral Newbie

Hi Cosx,

8km/l sounds a tad low for a 1.8 NA auto. I'm pretty sure U can achieve at least 10km/l with the 1.3ton weight plus 1.8.

Let your car run into 1000km, send it for a Syn oil change plus get C&C to look into the auto tranny plus engine ECU programs. Perhaps there is some form of bug in the program which led to your auto tranny shifting so early [crazy]

Enjoy your stay in MCF! [:)]

Neutral Newbie

Hi, Cosx,

Interesting nic - sounds like some maths term which I've forgotten about. Anyway, I know you've heard this quite a few times, but welcome to MCF.

And, oh, by the way, a pint of salt is quite a lot.... [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Hi Renegade,

put to good use immediately after my brother taught me how to calculate..

well, after this setback a pinch of salt is not enough...

[:)] how come I did not know this place earlier...

Welcome fellow Kia owner! [:)] I went to the recent Kia seminar, and the general feedback is that the fuel consumption of the Carens is quite bad. [:(]

But like the other forumers said, if you can get 7-8km/l during running-in, the mileage will surely improve after about 10,000km!

Neutral Newbie

Dear Cosx

Congrats on your new purchase. I hope you will find driving the Carens a pleasure. First of all, the auto tranny design for the Carens is not really bulletproof. The comp ratio if I didn't remember wrongly is pretty close. 9.5:1 The moving off speed from stop is rather bad. Thus you will have a tendency to feed more gas to push it on. That consumes petrol and for a fairly new car, pls take it easy on the gas for a start. Let her accelerate smoothly and gradually. One thing you'll need to keep track constantly is the colour and viscosity and smell of the engine oil. For the first three oil change up to 10K km, i suggest you stick to semi syn for oil and pls change your filter everytime you change oil. Use a full sun oil probably after the 10K mark. That's when you will most likely achieve the promoted fuelage. Of cos, this data is based on average driving and not treating your Carens like a F1 car.

As for your fuel consumption, dun worry, it'll improve as your mileage imcreases. But a large part depends on how you drive your vehicle. Many similar car owners do not necessary get the same consumtion as each have their own habit of driving. But I believe in time to come, with a strict maintainance schedule, you'll do avg 10km/L.

Lester

Neutral Newbie

Hi Huggable,

arrg... I knew it! But why did my agent told me its good [:(]

sob! sob!

thanks..

↡ Advertisement