All about Aftermarket Manual Gear Knobs

Falc

Let's discuss the following options: sly.gif

1) get a counter-sunk one, which will shorten the throw but at increased effort?

2) Or a counter-weight (heavier) one, which according to law of kinetic energy, people claim they make shifting easier.

3) Or both counter-sunk and counter-weight, BUT from a generic brand like Razo which is not metallically threaded specifically for the car ?? I scared it wont thread properly sweatdrop.gif

Of coz looks are important too. laugh.gif So please also share your swee knobs if u have the pic. cool.gif

Edited by BabyBlade
↡ Advertisement

I use a lightweight white color ping pong ball gear knob from Blitz.

The lightweight of the knob makes it very easy to shift.

Is it spherical and countersunk?

Won't the lightweight make shifting tiresome on daily basis, unless u use it for track only. sly.gif

Erm, it's ball with threads done properly for my car size. So about 3/4 inch of the original screw shaft goes into the ball. The top is only slightly flat for the logo.

I dunno what you mean by countersunk? got eg. pic?

Lightweight is actually very easy to drive, plus I do shift gears a lot with my Silvia.

It just means a lower overall height (sunken in) as the shaft sticks deeper into the knob/ball as u also mentioned. I'm looking at something like this:

Voodoo_knob_smooth_croppedtn_.jpg

Don't all screw threads have to go into the gear knob? [confused]

Do you mean a short shifter instead? I don't think simply changing your gear knob can affect your throw much.

Edited by Icekitten

Cant find a pic to illustrate. Basically the countersunk knobs have threads all the way from bottom to near it's tip while the normal ones may say only go 1/4 into the height. Hence the former will sit lower.

The big knob feels quite natural in my palm when I'm shifting. So far so good for drift use. I may change to a stick knob and try in the future too.

Hmmmm, not sure leh. They gave it to me last time to use. But not expensive at all.

There are two sizes as some Jap cars have two thread sizes.

Hi all,

Any idea how to change the manual gear knob of Picanto 2008 model?

Just pull out or turn? And if thread, what is the size?

Thanks

Beg to differ, light weight knob will need more effort to shift then a weighted one for sure.

Tighten the knob lower will not make it shorter to throw but will only make it more difficult. U need a short shifter for

That. Instead, the higher the knob, the easier to shift, just like those lorry n older bus.

Bigger knob might be easier to shift too.

It just means a lower overall height (sunken in) as the shaft sticks deeper into the knob/ball as u also mentioned. I'm looking at something like this:

Look at Blox knob for something like this

Neutral Newbie

dont mind me hijacking this thread. i need 2 ask something as i cant search it in the forums and cant post a topic. i figured since people are talking about manual might as well ask here

Guys about manual right. ive seen cars that doesnt need biting points when changing/shifting gears. why is this so? they just clutch in change gear clutch out immediately no biting point.

and all cars are able to do that?

Neutral Newbie

Hi

First question, have you ever personally driven a manual or stick shift car before?

Cheers

dont mind me hijacking this thread. i need 2 ask something as i cant search it in the forums and cant post a topic. i figured since people are talking about manual might as well ask here

Guys about manual right. ive seen cars that doesnt need biting points when changing/shifting gears. why is this so? they just clutch in change gear clutch out immediately no biting point.

and all cars are able to do that?

Neutral Newbie

Hi

First question, have you ever personally driven a manual or stick shift car before?

Cheers

hi yes ive driven manual.

im not very knowledgable however ive driven manual quite a number of times.

↡ Advertisement