Lifting windscreen wipers when parking?

Redcafe10

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif you really learn fast! Ya, never lift your windscreen wipers even if you wash your car. Otherwise, the neighbor from Hell will accuse you of bringing him bad luck. Any misfortune or illness will be your fault - if you live next door to Liang Thow Yick. shakehead.gif
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

mmm .. just curious.. if lift up our wipers.. wont like heavy rain that keep pouring will slam our wipers on our windscreeen and smashed the windscreen ?

Always think of that . THat is why i din lift up my wipers.. [sweatdrop]

True ? Will happen ?

Hi bro,

Always see people lifting their front windscreen wipers when parking their cars under hot sun or rain, heard that this will prevent the wipers rubber from sticking to the windscreen.

Does this method really work or is there for other reasons?

I need to park in a un-sheltered car park at my work place, so I lift up my windscreen wipers...

I think by default the wiper blade may not rest perpendicular to the windscreen, the rubber or silicon blade is slanting to one side due to the wiping motion. Therefore if under the heat and over time, the rubber or silicon may "deform" and thereby causing juddering... By lifting up the wiper it gives the rubber or silicon a chance to resume its 'straight' form, thus maintaining its performance. I think this works cos my current set of wipers is with me for more than 2 years and still working ok. wink.gif

Neutral Newbie

The wipers do not have enough surface area for the pouring rain to cause it to slam down lah. Especially if it's pointing up in the sky, how to catch enough rain water to have the "push down" effect?

Anyway, has anyone tried removing away the whole wipers and watch where the Singapore "Tai Tai" put the parking summon?

To avoid......Getting Summon...... [laugh][laugh]

yup. u could be right. I am wondering if it is effective in avoiding summons.

Before this thread started, I thought ppl lift up wipers to avoid ppl putting advertisements on their windscreen. [laugh]

Don't think the wiper will slam back easily cos there's some spring mechanism there? Anyway, this sort of things never happen so far....

Anyway, has anyone tried removing away the whole wipers and watch where the Singapore "Tai Tai" put the parking summon?

More effective way would be removing the number plates and road tax disc, don't you think? sly.giflaugh.gif

(edited)

one way to avoid summons is park head in into a lot with a wall beside.

Then park as close as possible to this wall and as in as possible.

(i.e. after parking, your right side is beside wall and there's wall in front as well)

Then exit from passenger side & just display an expired coupon.

Done this way, no way fatimah can examine ur so-called coupon. [laugh]

Unless she climb onto ur bonnet to check.

Edited by Redboy

Neutral Newbie

There are pros and cons to doing this but I do notice that lifting the wipers might attract itchy-handed kids (or adults) to want to doing 'something' to the car [:/]

(edited)

Can see coupon but cannot see clearly the dates & times.

I tried putting coupon just beside ERP unit. Even I have difficulty looking at it.

But then these types of lots are hard to find.

Edited by Redboy

Neutral Newbie

I only worry lah.. so after hearing from Bro Dunno and u .. i will start lifting up wipers up after I change them later.. [;)]

Neutral Newbie

So if someone seldom drive his farrari/performance car....should he jack up the car so that the tyres will not get flat spots? You know sport cars are usually driven at high speed so a little flat spot may cause accident.

Jus to relate a true life experience.

I drove up to Malacca at abt 10am n parked in an open air car park till abt 3pm then head back SG. Halfway on the NSH, it started to pour. I turned on my wiper n could see the rubber disintegrated as it wipe across my windscreen!!! Kept left and slowed down in the pouring rain.

Came back SG, changed wiper n claybar the whole windscreen like siao to remove the melted rubber that sticked to the windscreen as the wiper was doing its job. [sweatdrop]

So now, whenever I parked in the open sun for long, I would lift my wipers.

Neutral Newbie

Dont tink wiper will smashed the windscreen but the wiper arm may break as it happen to me b4. It happen when I was putting the wiper down and it slip off my hand and slammed on the windscreen, den the arm broke. [:(]

↡ Advertisement