Castrol Edge

Kieran1975

Courtesy of you in this thread, a lil bit of caution from Genie and my itchy backside (plus the 5W30 edge is on sale at my local autoshop) I swapped over to it today [laugh]

I could get the 0W30 syntec (a.k.a. GC) for around the same price but i would have to wait for a week for it to be sent over. Any idea whats the formulation differences??? I can't seem to find any info on edge in bitog.

Unless i can get edge this cheap in future, I'm planning on going back to elf (but on excellium 0w30) for the next change if everything goes well with the 30wt. Between the sale (which made it cheaper for edge), I couldnt be stuffed driving 20kms in start-stop traffic just to buy oil today.

On a good note, between the new oil, re-adjusted idle control (abt 100rpm up but still 100rpm below factory specs) and new plugs (plus a "refreshed" dizzy and new leads 5000kms ago), she's running sweet. If i didn't know i had a broken engine mount, i would not be able to tell [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

engine designed to take 20wt, as for 10wt, won't know until i try [sly]

haha, but problem would be where to source for it.

when using 20wt, the engine oil level remains same throughout the entire 10k km. UOA also shows no additional wear, in fact slightly lesser wear, most prob due to the better flow during cold starts.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

RP XPR 0W10 [bounce2]

hmm.. do u have the link where bob tested? couldn't find it.

now.. where to source for the oil.. and besides being expensive, it shouldn't be able to last [:(]

Edited by Cyberet

Hmmz... might give the syntec a try in future to see if it feels better... My oil changes are every 5000kms so i don't need a long drain.

On another note, the car seems to really like the 30wt. I'm sure the fresh plugs (vs 25000kms ones previously) and the increase in idle speed does help, but she does feel a lot more perky and smooth thus far.

For those who wants Castrol Edge 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil, I saw it at the new Autobacs Ubi. Japanese version one.

Not cheap though...5W-30 FE is $95 and 10W-30 is $85.