Castrol Edge

Kieran1975

I used Castrol Edge SPT for 11,000km. Purposely dragged the OCI a bit but the oil still performed very well on my kimchi ride. Engine still very smooth.

Then I switched to Mobil 1 0w40 european formula and can feel difference straight away. Even when the oil is totally new, can feel more engine vibrations when idling. Looks like I will switch back to SPT during next oil change.

↡ Advertisement

Try Idemitsu Extreme Touring 5W40. Even better!

I have tried both and personally feel that the Castrol is smoother. Pennzoil is also as good.

Using Castrol Edge 5w30, find engine noisy and not fuel efficient

What oil were u using b4 this? Also 30 weight?

Chk the amt by yr dipstick if its to the "F" mark.

If the oil dun suit yr car, just go back to the previous oil n see how.......or did the mech play around with yr car to make it spoil so he can get more biz from u?

When u change oil, did u also change spark plugs, airfilter etc? Were the plugs n oil filter the correct type n installed properly?

Edited by Pisces69

besides amazon where can i buy engine oil online that ships without problem?

Not that I know but amazon pricing is damn cheap.

Plus free shipping... nothing can beat that man...

What oil were u using b4 this? Also 30 weight?

Chk the amt by yr dipstick if its to the "F" mark.

If the oil dun suit yr car, just go back to the previous oil n see how.......or did the mech play around with yr car to make it spoil so he can get more biz from u?

When u change oil, did u also change spark plugs, airfilter etc? Were the plugs n oil filter the correct type n installed properly?

you change air filter every time you change oil? or you mean oil filter??

you change air filter every time you change oil? or you mean oil filter??

Oil filter must b changed when u change EO.

My air filter I change every 40K km only. Thats after 4 EO changes. Spark plugs I change every 20K km.

All this is according to my handbook.

I have been using 5w20 since I drove my car from 16000km mileage till 92000km... FC have been 12km+ to 13km+/liter for past 3 years..

Recently use castrol 5w40 from workshop as lazy to go buy EO myself.. Wah the FC immediately drop to 11km to 11.5km per liter after 3 full tank of refuel.. Some more I change new ATF and new set of spark plug together..

Thick oil really 吃油

Edited by Chucky2007

I have been using 5w20 since I drove my car from 16000km mileage till 92000km... FC have been 12km+ to 13km+/liter for past 3 years..

Recently use castrol 5w40 from workshop as lazy to go buy EO myself.. Wah the FC immediately drop to 11km to 11.5km per liter after 3 full tank of refuel.. Some more I change new ATF and new set of spark plug together..

Thick oil really 吃油

Any bros can advice? thick oil really 吃油?

Any bros can advice? thick oil really 吃油?

Thicker oil higher resistance to engine. Same as overfilled oil.

What is the different between SL and SM?

Any improvement in performance or FC?

Do you feel your engine more power or quite when using 0W40?

Any FR on this engine oil?

http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm

Some Engine Oils Currently on the Shelves Can Harm Your Engine - Read the Lables!

There are engine oils currently on the shelves at auto parts stores, gas station convenience stores, food stores, and other retail outlets that can cause harm to your car’s engine. Yes, you heard correctly - Cause harm to your car’s engine. These are obsolete engine oils formulated for use in cars built prior to the 1930s! Know how to read the labels on the front and back of the bottles of oil you buy or you may be using product that can cause unsatisfactory performance or harm to your engine.

The service rating of passenger car and commercial automotive motor oils is classified by the American Petroleum Institute (API). The program certifies that engine oil meets certain Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) quality and performance standards. The service rating is shown in the API "Service Symbol Donut" on the product label. As shown in the illustration below, engine oils with an API SA Service Classification were formulated for use in cars built prior to 1930, and are now obsolete. Yet, there are still not hard to find in retail outlets. Read on about what you need to read on the labels.

tlin456.gif

The current API Service Classification is SN

The labels include two important pieces of information to determine if an engine oil is appropriate for use in your vehicle. The first piece of information speaks to viscosity grade. The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) defines a numerical system for grading motor oils according to viscosity. The suffixes (0, 5, 10, 15 and 25) followed by the letter W designate the engine oil's "winter" grade.

Look to your owner's manual. It specifies the viscosity grade required for your car's engine. Today, the most common grades are 5W-30.

Watch for the "W"

Whereas the labeling on the bottle of engine oil may suggest the product is a 5W-30, note, if there is no "W" between the 5 and the 30 it may not be a 5W-30. As an example, a SAE 5-30 is not the same as an SAE 5W-30.

The next 'code" to look for is the API Service Classification. Although it might appear complicated to understand at the start, it is really a simple system to get your arms around. Think of it this way, when cars were first built, the oil they required needed an API SA Service Classification. From there, it moved to SB, SC, SD, and so on (skipping only SI and SK). The current API Service Classification is SN.

So if you buy an engine oil meeting only API SA, it's an engine oil formulated for use in vehicles built in the 1920s. And SA is not hard to find mixed in with SM on the shelves at c-stores and others. Furthermore, it's also not hard to find SF, SJ and other API Service Categories on the shelves. Also, don't let price guide you. Engine oils with a Service Classification prior to SN (including SA) are often priced close to that of API SN.

The service rating of passenger car and commercial automotive motor oils is classified by the American Petroleum Institute (API). The program certifies that an oil meets certain Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) quality and performance standards. The service rating is shown in the API "Service Symbol Donut" on the product label.

donut.gifThe labels include two important pieces of information to determine if an engine oil is appropriate for use in your vehicle. The first piece of information speaks to viscosity grade. The Society of Automotive Engineers(SAE) defines a numerical system for grading motor oils according to viscosity. The suffixes (0, 5, 10, 15 and 25) followed by the letter W designate the engine oil's "winter" grade.

Look to your owner's manual. It specifies the viscosity grade required for your car's engine. Today, the most common grades are 5W-30 and 10W-30.

Watch for the "W"

Whereas the labeling on the bottle of engine oil may suggest the product is a 10W-30, note, if there is no "W" between the 10 and the 30 it may not be a 10W-30. As an example, a SAE 10-30 is not the same as an SAE 10W30.

The next 'code" to look for is the API Service Classification. Although it might appear complicated to understand at the start, it is really a simple system to get your arms around. Think of it this way, when cars were first built, the oil they required needed an API SA Service Classification. From there, it moved to SB, SC, SD, and so on (skipping only SI). The current API Service Classification is SM.

So if you are buying an SA oil, it's an engine oil formulated for use in vehicles built in the 1920s. And SA is not hard to find mixed in with SM on the shelves at c-stores and others. Furthermore, it's also not hard to find SF, SJ and other API Service Categories on the shelves. Also, don't let price guide you. Engine oils with a Service Classification prior to SM (including SA) are often priced close to that of SM.

Always consult your vehicle owner's manual to determine what motor oil you should use, and READ THE LABELS ON THE OIL YOU BUY.

• Dislike 1

i recently bought castrol edge titanium 5w40 for $90 at sin ming stockist. Cheap or ex? I see NTUC amk hub is selling at $99 0w 40.

How many quarts did you got for $90?

Mx trading sells the 5w30 thickness grade at $16.50 per quart.

4 litres.

4 liters is about 4.23 quarts.

That works out to $21.28 per quart.

You paid about 29% more per quart, assuming 5w30 price similar to 5w40.

I am also buying Castro edge soon, anybody know where is the cheapest price in sg?