LTA taking steps to snuff out blinding headlamps

User12343

Good move by LTA thumbsup.gif, but how they enforce it??? laugh.gif

ST 30/4

THE so-called 'white light' on the road is making motorists see red.

The rash of illegally fitted high-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps - which throw extremely bright white beams often blinding to other road users - has also caught the attention of the Land Transport Authority.

The LTA said it received 43 complaints last year regarding blinding headlamps - or nearly once every week.

It is now planning to ban the import of vehicles with HID lamps unless they come with proper anti-glare devices such as a self-levelling system. A self-levelling system automatically adjusts the lights so they do not point higher than they should.

'We will consult the industry before making any decision to implement this,' an LTA spokesman said.

The Straits Times understands that the main cause of complaints are illegally modified headlamps which, like other illegal modifications, can draw a fine of up to $1,000 or a jail term of up to three months for first offenders.

Many consumers are unaware that many parallel importers sell their cars with these illegal fittings.

Surveyor Hermanto Kassanri, 35, was shocked when he found that the Honda Stream seven-seater he bought three months ago had these illegal fittings.

'I discovered this when I went to the workshop for servicing. My mechanic pointed out that the car's headlights were illegal,' he said. 'It's worrying.'

Another Honda Stream owner, renovation agent Kamil F.S., 32, said he found out about his illegal lights through an online car forum. 'I will go back to the importer and see what can be done,' he said.

Mr Neo Nam Heng, president of the parallel importers' Automotive Importers and Exporters Association, said 'all importers should be aware of and compliant to all rules and technical requirements'.

But industry sources say many parallel importers 'bend' these rules.

Pinnacle Motors admitted that it had sold cars fitted with the illegal HID lamps, but said it was taking steps to rectify that.

Its managing director Larry Teo told The Straits Times that he would 'recall' all the cars and replace them with the original headlights.

He said his company had sold 'over 100'' of such cars, mainly Hondas and Toyotas. 'It's a competitive market and we're not the only ones doing it. We meant no harm,'' he said, adding that 'our laws are not advanced'.

HID lamps fitted by parallel importers are not the only kind making motorists squint. Some cars sold by authorised agents too can be blinding.

This can happen when the rear of the vehicle is heavily loaded, thereby lifting its nose. The slight tilt in angle is enough to get the HID light into the eyes of other drivers.

Which is why the LTA is looking to implement the self-levelling device requirement - which is mandatory in Europe.

For those who bought cars with illegal modifications, the LTA advises them to keep documentation proof.

'They will have to give a statement and provide evidence, such as the sales agreement to the investigation officer,' the spokesman said. 'Appropriate action will be taken against the culpable party who caused the offence.'

IGNORANT UNTIL...

'I discovered this when I went to the workshop for servicing. My mechanic pointed out that the car's headlights were illegal. It's worrying.'

SURVEYOR HERMANTO KASSANRI, 35, who was shocked when he found that the Honda Stream he bought recently had these illegal fittings

Edited by User12343
↡ Advertisement

Wow... installing illegal HIDs can get one in jail, but hitting people with iron rod only results in $1000 fine.

about blardy farking time some useless overpaid taxwasters start performing as per their job description ....

instead of scheming how to rip more money out from our pockets

I guess some owner paying higher price for HID as they thought they get the original one with auto-leveling device.

Now PI said recall and fixed back the original one, so is it means no refund for the ilegal HID? Just thinking from buyer point of view [hur]

can't blame the PI dealers though. aftermarket stuffs installed locally are at least 3x cheaper than done at overseas dealers, else how do the PI price their cars so attractive? at least some PI dealers are conscientious enuf to voluntarily recall them and make good.

I choose to think it is more of a reputation-saving move to recall illegally fitted vehicles sold by them. Their intention to install illegal mods in their customers' cars is simply incorrigible. If no one brought this issue up, they would most probably keep quiet about it. This is very unethical practice. [shakehead]

cant blame them on this issue oso...

when that's demand.. there would be supply...

i would say most of the time the HID is requested by the buyer.

gud ah gud ah, finally...sky got eyes man. Its about time.

Wah this pinnacle motors talking chock man. Just because competitive market, they also sell illegal items [thumbsdown] .

Neutral Newbie

wat a crap rule. i think xenon fitted originally by the car manufacture should be OK.

eg, bmw 5 series, 7 series, ferrari f430,etc. the xenon come standard.

ONLY the aftermarket HID should be banned!!

an easy way for LTA to enforce. wef, all new cars will have to go thru inspection first, and attached a seal to verify that the car has passed the test before releasing it to the customer.

wait till you see those who dont use headlights but fog light. Think these people really are retards [hur]

People use headlights first and only in very hazy conditions do u need foglights to support if not bright enuf(which u hardly require in SG).

Mine comes with factory fitted auto leveling HID with small projector anti glare sh** that directs beam on the road and not spotlights in concert halls.

I have repeatedly see a lot of cars fitted with illegally, HIDs on normal headlights system currently fitted. Its amazingly bright!! The lights are not directed properly and cannot be directed since normal headlights for Halogen are spread, instead of directed....

Furthermore, both rear and front foggies are turned on at the same time. Its brighter then any christmas trees I've even seen!!

For those factory fitted ones, they are usually from a distance, quite dim. Directed beams do not spread and in fact, has a much leaner beam then halogens. Due to the autoleveling system, it will prevent a lot of unnecessary glare. Also, factory fitted ones comes in 4000k HIDs.

One of my friends will take note of vehicle numbers with these lights and complain to LTA. So... I would not be surprise more and more people doing this in the future as well.

Rgds

I've been blinded by more Taxi's than HIDs and my car's pretty low plus I got bad astig! I don't know what they are complaining about.

↡ Advertisement