Why conti car has longer servicing interval?

Roh96

(edited)

Anyone know why conti car like Renault, BMW, Merc etc. can have longer servicing interval like 15k or 20k whereas Jap/Korean cars only 10k? Is it bcos the engine block is of better quality?

Edited by Roh96
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Conti cars have a bigger engine oil capacity.....guess that explains why it has a longer servicing interval. My engine oil capacity is 5L for a 1.6L Renault Megane!

Ivan has nailed it. The smallest oil sump on a Japanese car is either a Mazda or Nissan. 3qt oil capacity only.

My Mazda use roughly 3.3 - 3.5L of engine oil and it's full liao. Oil change every 10K. Come to think of it, isn't this quite efficient given that 3.5L can also tahan 10K?

Actually efficient enough. The depends on their engineering philosophy. Europeans like to save environment. If using oil for longer means less oil waste, they would do it.

Neutral Newbie

i think is in terms of practicality. in europe and states, i think it is easy to hit 15k in weeks.... i can't imagine that i have to keep going back for servicing every few weeks? [laugh]

Conti cars have a bigger engine oil capacity.....guess that explains why it has a longer servicing interval. My engine oil capacity is 5L for a 1.6L Renault Megane!

does it mean that jap cars that have larger engine oil capacity that have longer service interval? but so far jap cars regardless of engine oil capacity, the service interval is still the same le.

Neutral Newbie

I agree with ronnie.

Basically Jap cars are built for short trips. So engine oil gets 'dirty' more easily.

European cars are generally for long distances travelling across vast span of nothings.

So the design brief is different for the cars designers.

Then how about European cars tat suffer traffic conditions like Sillypore,start go...stop go ...stop,less of freeway travelling

My Mazda use roughly 3.3 - 3.5L of engine oil and it's full liao. Oil change every 10K. Come to think of it, isn't this quite efficient given that 3.5L can also tahan 10K?

Wah! 3.5L! That's fantastic! Mine is 7L, plus got oil cooler, so must put another 0.5L in, altogether 7.5L. Can die.

I service once you can service twice. So longer service interval also no use. Comes back to the same...

If you got oil cooler, can install bypass filtration system if your engine bay got space. Your oil can last 50k. laugh.gif

How about small cc conti car, their engine oil capacity is not much diff from Jap/Korean make but still can last longer?

Well... I don't think our engine will be damaged if we service our jap car at 10k or 15k loh.

It's not like the average joe here redline their cars everyday.

If not for the warranty issues, I would jolly service at 15k instead of 10k interval.

Actually, considering most driving is start-stop in sg (and our "highway" driving isn't very highway), our servicing intervals should be shorter. Short distance, start-stop driving is the hardest on not only the oil but the engine as well.

↡ Advertisement