Mitsubishi Colt handling

Zert88

Hi, I have test drive a Colt today and found that handling is abit strange. Is it normal that the steering doesn't roll back immediately after making a turn? It doesn't even align back with the slightest turn. Any Colt owners out there care to comment on this?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

my previous car is colt. i didn't have that problem which you describe. served me well for 2 and a half years.

The Colt has relatively light steering feel, either because of the leverage ratio or too much power assistance. So chances are that is the reason why it does not want to self centre.

I find the steering too light for my liking. But it is something you quickly get used to.

Neutral Newbie

Nowadays many car uses the electric power steering for saving FC, thats way so light, unlike last time all use hyraulic power steering.

I also find the steering too light, if the steering doesn't self centre [shakehead] I have to rethink the idea of getting a Colt.

I may have to test drive again, the test route the SE arrange is too short and the traffic is slow. I like the Colt but I'm stuck at the handling problem. If it's too uncomfortable for me to accept, I think I'll have to give it up [smallcry]

Neutral Newbie

don't worry too much about the light steering. you'll get used to it. after getting used to light steering, i had problem adjusting to a heavier steering on my new ride. but i got over that within a day. just a matter of adjusting.

2 solutions to that: [ol] [*]change to heavier rims, or stickier tires [*]change to Colt Ralliart Version-R, the steering wheel feeling is much heavier.[/ol]

All in all, arrange for another test drive, I have not heard people complaining in Colt forum.thumbsup.gif [reply]

I also find the steering too light, if the steering doesn't self centre shakehead.gif I have to rethink the idea of getting a Colt.

I may have to test drive again, the test route the SE arrange is too short and the traffic is slow. I like the Colt but I'm stuck at the handling problem. If it's too uncomfortable for me to accept, I think I'll have to give it up smallcry.gif

I liked the Colt's engine a lot. Has decent low RPM torque as well as a decent top end zing. Why I didn't buy it was because of its boxy styling.

I have no problem with light steering, my main concern is the steering self centering. I thought its strange that the steering doesn't return after making a turn. I want to find out if this is normal for Colt.

Colt's engine is the main reason why I choose it over other cars in it's range, however I haven't test drive other makes yet.

As for boxy, nothing is more boxy than a Voxy [laugh] Anybody interested?? [sly]

post-2-1179234191_thumb.jpg

i agree that the Colt steering does not self-centers itself after turning. But i would say this happens only when you are almost at full lock in slow speeds. One of the feature i noticed about the car was that the steering is able to turn to an angle almost impossible for normal sedan cars, rather like the big continental cars such as Volvo or Mercedes. These cars in fact have a smaller turning radius compared to most normal 1.6l japanese sedans due to this capability, resulting in much ease in tight U-turns over many 2 lanes road in Singapore.

The colt is already short in length by itself, coupled with this ability to turn, i find that tight spaces are a breeze to negotiate, so much so that any other car makes me wanna complain. Dun worry about high speed instability or anything like dat associated with the steering characteristics. It does in fact self centers itself, but it does so in a somewhat gradual and subtle way as compared to other sedan cars. Its like when you negotiate a high speed bend, you can feel the steering wheel loading up in resistance as you steer the car through. Anything happens and you let go, the car will jerk back into the straight and you will have to react rather quickly to prevent going off the road. In the Colt, when you let go, it self centers too, but much more gradually that it wouldnt give you a heart attack when you suddenly lose your grip on the steering wheel.

So i say...if you like the Colt for all the other reasons, this is one that should not be putting you off from acquiring this drive.

[sweatdrop] Volvo and Merc have a much bigger engine which took up most of the space. Even for big engine Japanese cars have poor turning radius.

Cannot compare with a 1.5L car. [laugh]

IMO handling involves a couple of factors, as in the suspension setup, the chassis and the steering. U are only spending so much on a 1.5L car of course u cannot expect Volvo or Merc kind of handling.

What u pay for is what u get.

Nowadays many car uses the electric power steering for saving FC, thats way so light, unlike last time all use hyraulic power steering.

... then end up battery only last 1 year plus. [:|]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Great comments, S2077s.

I've just got my new Colt(A). In fact, I especially like the electronic steering and the so-called "light-feel" when negotiating tight turns at slow speed. The MIVEC engine is responsive and I love it. I'm still doing my soft run-in at the moment and hence can't reall rev up the RPM much.. still, IMO, the ride is smooth and steady. By the way, from what I understand and experience, the "feel" of the steering wheel increases proportionately with your speed.. and hence, the "light" steering gradually changes to a more firm steering as u increases your car speed.

The car is pretty spacious relative its competitors in the 1.5 hatchback class. The Auto sports version comes with cool stuff like the automated windows thingy.. which means if u forgot to wind down your windows or side-mirrors AFTER you've got off the car.. you can use the key to close the windows when you're at a distance away from the car too. I think this function is kinda convenient.

Edited by Ber82

i got used to my CP's lite steering. like it effortless [nod]

anyway, that's a rare car u got. how old is it? letting go?

Neutral Newbie
Hi, I have test drive a Colt today and found that handling is abit strange. Is it normal that the steering doesn't roll back immediately after making a turn? It doesn't even align back with the slightest turn. Any Colt owners out there care to comment on this?

It is caused by eletrical power steering. The Honda Jazz I drove have similar feeling also. It is more obvoius at low speed and bigger turn, for example, driving slowly in MSCP.

After driving a while, you can get used to it.

How is the ride of Colt? For Jazz the ride is too bumpy for comfortable ride.

Neutral Newbie

The electrical power steering is only one factor in a series of factors. I believe there may be more. Self centering is also affected by toe in/out. And to some extent the castor angles in the steering geometry. Guess mitsubishi had to decide what to compromise. At the end of the day its a matter of 'feel'.

↡ Advertisement