Moving Off

Kaka23

Was told that drivers should wait till their car engine has warm itself first before moving off. Is this accurate? Everyone in my family who drives both European and Japanese cars does not practice this. I've calculated and it takes at least 15 second for the engine to warm up. Just wanna know does the majority of drivers here practice this?

↡ Advertisement

old cars(ie. 10yrs ago) might need warming up but generally new cars nowadays do not require warming up, just drive off slowly and let the engine oil circulate.

Just drive off straight away - but be gentle with the accelerator the first 500m until the engine warms up.

Neutral Newbie

Driving off gently would warm up the engine faster then letting it idle. By idling you're wasting fuel. Nowadays modern car need not warmup just move off gently.

Do what your car tells you to...... you'll know it when it complains.

For me, I have a temperamental ride. If the engine is not fully warmed up, my auto gear shifts are very rough and jerky, causing "klunks".

15 secs is very fast. zhun bo? if that is correct, might as well just wait. put down bag + sit down + close door + put in cash card + put on safety belt already take more than 15 secs. start engine before doing all that can liao.

Neutral Newbie
Was told that drivers should wait till their car engine has warm itself first before moving off. Is this accurate? Everyone in my family who drives both European and Japanese cars does not practice this. I've calculated and it takes at least 15 second for the engine to warm up. Just wanna know does the majority of drivers here practice this?

For new cars there is no need for warm up. You may drive off straight away but limit your revs till the engine build up to optimum operating temperature. For this to happen this can take about 5 minutes.

Do not bother to rely on your factory water temp gauge because it is not accurate as it indicates normal water temp. too early.

Neutral Newbie

No problem moving off immediately after starting for cars nowadays. Just take note not to rev hard until it warms up (if you love your car enough). [sweatdrop]

eddie (90085584)

I still practice warming up my ride and awaiting til the needle is above the cold mark before moving off [;)]

It's been a habit liao since i started driving almost 10 years back [;)]

no need to warm up...btw, I don't think 15seconds is enough to warm up the engine anyway.

i dun care. i dun even off my aircon and head unit before switching off the car engine.

i do that too. i've been doing this since the 1st day I drive.

Normally, before I crank the engine, I wait 5 secs. After starting the engine, I wait 10-15 secs too..

I see my friend's honda city(newest version), it have a light, which will goes off when the engine has warmed up.. It took about 10-15 secs too(After being stationary for few hours)..

No need to warm up for fuel direct injection cars IMO. But on cold start-ups in the morning i do let the idling rpm settle to around 1k b4 moving off. Takes around 1~2 mins.