Wheel Alignment. Is it necessary?

Myprecious

Neutral Newbie

Hi Everybody,

Just want to check if you do your wheel alignment every 10 000km. I went komocco for my 10 000km servicing and they recommend me to do a wheel alignment. They told me that it is necessary to do this every 10 000km. Is this true?

When i ask him about the necessity of wheel alignment, they told me that fuel consumption might increase if the wheels are out of alignment. But i was wondering how much additional fuel might be incurred. The cost of wheel alignment at komocco was $120.

↡ Advertisement

Are you talking about wheel rotation and balancing?

This is recommended every 10,000km.

As for alignment, I think not.

wheel alignment only necessary if your car seriously drift to either left or right side when you are driving straight when hands off steering.

out of alignment wheels do not really affect FC, it affects the wearing out if your rubber tyre. That KMC service staff is trying to earn extra boinus by bluffing u. a very good alighment outside is only $50-$70 on all 4 wheels.

Dun be cheated by them. I drove a Hyundai but i really DO NOT TRUST KMC service staff on the things they tell me. Look at all this BS they are telling you!

Neutral Newbie

I know about wheel rotation and balancing. But they did not mention this during my servicing.

They mentioned about wheel alignment instead. That's why i want to check whether it is necessary. They told me that if i do not do that, misalignment of the wheel could cause my car to incur a higher fuel consumption and my steering wheel might not be align.

It cost quite a bit, $120, even though i am suppose to get free servicing for my 10 000km. So i was wondering if this is their tactic to earn more money.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks Bro!

Now i have more faith in my judgement. I will not do any more serving at their centre after my warranty period. I can't imagine Komocco earned so much for the sale of each car and they want to spoil their reputation by coming out with these dirty tricks.

I have a friend who is driving a Nissan Sunny and i heard from him that he has 3 years worth of free servicing. The free servicing includes free engine oil, filter, and labour. Which means that he doesn't have to pay a single cent!

A friend once told me that as unless you replacing your tires or rim you do not necessary need to do wheel alignment. But I personally felt when you had frequent traveling along bumpy road for long period of time or regular basis its best to get it check.

wheel rotation is process of swopping front tyre with back tyre to achieve a even tyre wear every 10000km so that in the long run yr front tyre will not be "bald" when yr back tyre is still ok.

wheel balancing is a process normally they take out individual tyres, put in a spinner and spin. then put some small counter weights at the rim.

Wheel rotation n balancing is 1 process. it cost normally around $20.

As for wheel alignment, KMC told u to do wheel alignment so that can avoid wheel not aligned and incur higher fuel cost? that's rubbish! its the other way round, after hitting kerb serveral time on yr front wheels, yr wheels not aligned, then u do alignment to FIX the problem. free servcing rubbish one.. free labour only.

well.. one rule when go back to authorised workshop:

1. If need to replace anything FREE during warranty period like water vapour inside headlight, corroded exhaust, damaged shock absorber.. go ahead.

2. If they advise u this need to do, that need to do.. but have to pay $$ bec not covered under warranty, dun bother doing it. Either all these works are not necessary, or even if necessary, since not covered under warranty, meaning if service outside (confirm cheaper and better) sure will not void warranty.

well yr friend nissan package is like that so good for him.. maybe he paid more for the car compared to other nissan? engine oil and oil filter cheap stuff..

when get new tyre, dun need to do wheel alignment, just wheel balancing. Logic is because the new tyre is 1st time fitting onto the rim, because not all fit are the same, when car travel at high speed it may wobble. so the see where is the uneven area and they paste those counter weight to prevent the wobbling.

Some of these Service Advisors know sh-it...

One of my SAs told me my 5w30 oil is too thin for my ride, when the manual clearly states that my ride can take w20 oil.

Neutral Newbie
Hi Everybody,

Just want to check if you do your wheel alignment every 10 000km. I went komocco for my 10 000km servicing and they recommend me to do a wheel alignment. They told me that it is necessary to do this every 10 000km. Is this true?

When i ask him about the necessity of wheel alignment, they told me that fuel consumption might increase if the wheels are out of alignment. But i was wondering how much additional fuel might be incurred. The cost of wheel alignment at komocco was $120.

wheel alignment is necessary every 10k only and if only, i restress, it is free.... simple as tat...

Wheel alignment is necessary, but at $120 its way to ex. Can get about less than 60 with rotation n balancing.wink.gif

I didnt do wheel alignment the last time and ended up with badly unevenly worn tires. Do it when u doing regular rotation.

Hi Everybody,

I will recommend kenny's alightment. He gives very good service, often booking an appointment needs 1 week or more in advanced!

i second that... Kenny's wheel alignment. [thumbsup]

go on weekdays then not so crowded. less than half of the stupid $120 komoco quote. + job professional done, better than those stamford's

Neutral Newbie

can PM me the contact for the computerized 4 wheel alignment, and the price you paid for it? Thanks.