Road trip to Ipoh

Kelpie

1. Anyone here have visited Ipoh and stayed there before?

2. I would like to try out this place that I've not been to before. What can you do there and where should I stay to be near to shopping areas and places of interest?

Thank you.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

Ipoh is a small town, there are a few place of interest like temples. But if you want a place to relax, you can go to Lumut or Pangkor island, resorts there are very nice. Lumut is a short drive from Ipoh and pangkor island is just a boat ride from Lumut.

We had a good time staying at Swiss Garden resort at Lumut [thumbsup]. When you are about to return, spend half a day in Ipoh for makan like Ipoh Hor-Fun then visit the temples.

http://www.ipoh-online.com.my/map/perak/pkmap_std3.htm

1. How far is Lumut to Ipoh City?

2. Thought of spending a night in Ipoh and visit Kellie's Castle and Tambun for mini Sunway lagoon. I heard there are shopping places like Jusco, Tesco and Parkson Grand there too. If Lumut is not too far, I can stay in Lumut and drive to Ipoh during the day and back to Lumut for hotel.

3. Bascially, I will spend 2 nights in KL since Gentings is fully booked. Spend one night in Ipoh and when coming back, either spend one night in Melaka or Port Dickson then back to Singapore. Recently too many fallen tree incidents, best to avoid highland resorts and hilly places for now.

Regards,

Neutral Newbie

Try the beansprout n chicken rice there too but beware of kenna carrot head. Maybe slightly more ex comparing to a local.

Nearby the chicken rice stalls, there's a chinese cake n cookie shop, quite nice too.

You can also visit those caves that's along the way to NSH.

lumut to ipoh is pretty near. About 1 hour drive away? Or maybe lesser.

I stayed at the Swiss Garden last year too.. Not too bad. Pangkor is nice.. can take the yellow vans! [:p]

I just got back from The Swiss Garden Damai Laut 2 weeks back. Heaps of mosquitoes at their beach front restaurant. Be careful if you're bringing young ones as my girl got so badly bitten that they became sore and infected. The 3 areas on her tights and legs are very badly scarred now.

Drive from Ipoh to Lumut takes about 2.5 to 3 hours.

Lumut town to Swiss Garden Damai Laut takes about half hour.

The next bigger town around there would be Telok Intan which is like 1 hour from Lumut and the centre of attraction is the "leaning tower" smack in the centre of the town.

You can take a day ferry to Pangkor Island from Lumut town (think its RM$12 for a return ferry ticket). Just park there in secure paid lotsand hop onto a ferry. 3 ferry operators but choose the biggest one. Taxi (pink mini van) on Pangkor is RM$60 for a 3 hours island tour. Actually can cover in 2 hours. Not much there except if you're going to buy cheap dried fish, prawns, scallops etc....

I just got back from The Swiss Garden Damai Laut 2 weeks back. Heaps of mosquitoes at their beach front restaurant. Be careful if you're bringing young ones as my girl got so badly bitten that they became sore and infected. The 3 areas on her tights and legs are very badly scarred now.

Drive from Ipoh to Lumut takes about 2.5 to 3 hours.

Lumut town to Swiss Garden Damai Laut takes about half hour.

The next bigger town around there would be Telok Intan which is like 1 hour from Lumut and the centre of attraction is the "leaning tower" smack in the centre of the town.

You can take a day ferry to Pangkor Island from Lumut town (think its RM$12 for a return ferry ticket). Just park there in secure paid lotsand hop onto a ferry. 3 ferry operators but choose the biggest one. Taxi (pink mini van) on Pangkor is RM$60 for a 3 hours island tour. Actually can cover in 2 hours. Not much there except if you're going to buy cheap dried fish, prawns, scallops etc....

1. Thanks for the tips. Shall skip Lumut for now and stick to Ipoh city, concern about bites is one thing and also the travelling time of 2.5 to 3 hours. I'm bringing 2 kids(preshoolers) along. I believe you can also get those dried stuffs in Ipoh.

2. Only four hotels in Ipoh, Casuarina Parkroyal Hotel, Syuen Hotel Ipoh, Heritage Hotel Ipoh and Excelsior Hotel. Wonder which is a better pick?

Regards,

Try the beansprout n chicken rice there too but beware of kenna carrot head. Maybe slightly more ex comparing to a local.

Nearby the chicken rice stalls, there's a chinese cake n cookie shop, quite nice too.

You can also visit those caves that's along the way to NSH.

Not the Batu caves, I suppose?

Regards,

when u going har? how many days in total har?

Damn this june sch holidays I havent planned any drive trip yet

1. Lightly to be somewhere mid June. I'm contemplating to hit out for 5 days 4 nights.

2. Childrens wanted to go Gentings but hotels fully booked, should have done so earlier.

Regards,

lumut to ipoh is pretty near. About 1 hour drive away? Or maybe lesser.

I stayed at the Swiss Garden last year too.. Not too bad. Pangkor is nice.. can take the yellow vans! [:p]

1. Some said 2-3 hours leh?

2. Anyway, Cameron Highlands is just nearby, about 1 hour or less away?. If the weather is good may be can drive up. Alternatively, stay in Ipoh for one night and another at Cameron Highlands. What do you think?

Regards,

(edited)

Go Ipoh make sure go visit The Lost World of Tambun. The water theme park is run by the same people that run Sunway. Cheaper also. Can buy tix online before going.

See this VT page by wild_orchid

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/7c61b/138ec7/

Take Heritage Hotel.

Lost World of Tambun

http://www.sunway.com.my/lostworldoftambun/main-tb.asp

Edited by Genie47

Go Ipoh make sure go visit The Lost World of Tambun. The water theme park is run by the same people that run Sunway. Cheaper also. Can buy tix online before going.

See this VT page by wild_orchid

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/7c61b/138ec7/

Take Heritage Hotel.

1. I thought she looked quite "Wild", [laugh]. Yap, was thinking about Heritage too but heard its rooms are rather small.

2. Yap, wanted to visit the lost world. Any good recommendation for hotel in Cameron Highlands?

Regards,

(edited)

No recommendations. IMHO, CH standard drop a lot.

Eh? She not wild lah. Got children already but she is a really hip mom.

Edited by Genie47

1. I have 5 days 4 nights to kill. After discounting two nights in KL, I'm left with 2. So thought of going to Ipoh and Cameron Highlands. What other recommendations do you have in mind, if I'm prepared to give CH a miss?

2, She sure looks "hip", [nosebleed].

Thank you.

Regards,

Neutral Newbie

Hello

Could you advise how long it would take from 2nd Link to Swiss Garden Damai Laut.

You mentioned plenty of mozzies - is that just at the eating spot or generally the whole resort is swarmed ?

Don't go to CH then. Go to Ipoh to get good food and enjoy Tambun. Don't forget a visit to Kellie's Castle.

Right on! I will go to Ipoh this June school holidays. Is one night enough for Ipoh? I plan to visit Kellie's Castle, Lost world and to do some shoppings for the local seafood product.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement