General speed limit

Trusty

Twincharged

Expressway exits typically 50km/h. They expect you to go from 90km/h to 50km/h suddenly. Yeah right.

Its not really sudden. Cars exiting the expressway are supposed to keep left in advance, so technically they should be in the third lane for at least a few hundred meters already. From 90-50km/h in that period of time is not too sudden especially since by the time you join the 3rd lane you'll be at the speed of the 3rd lane which is usually around 60km/h. The only people who feel that from 90-50km/h in the exits is too sudden are those who love to cut across 2 or 3 lanes at the last minute to exit. 

↡ Advertisement

Just like clementi ave 6 from pie. Also got this sign and as well in sentosa bridge

You go test the Sentosa bridge one leh... I don't dare...  [:p]  :XD:

Expressway exits typically 50km/h. They expect you to go from 90km/h to 50km/h suddenly. Yeah right.

Can lah... 4 down to 3, tap brake, tap brake, signal left, check clear, change lane, maintain gear 3, tap brake. 50 liao.

For more effect down to 2, road clear, signal, step accelerator, exit smoothly.

You go test the Sentosa bridge one leh... I don't dare... [:p]:XD:

Can lah... 4 down to 3, tap brake, tap brake, signal left, check clear, change lane, maintain gear 3, tap brake. 50 liao.

For more effect down to 2, road clear, signal, step accelerator, exit smoothly.

Clementi ave 6 tested

Sentosa one if i remember correctly got speed cam around there haha

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The speed limits here are unrealistically low.

Remember, I just came back from Germany. Much of the Autobahn is unrestricted, although there are stretches that are limited. But a lot of it, even the unrestricted stretches, are not the wide-laned, forgiving expanses of tarmac that most people think them to be. The road can suddenly narrow and lanes may quickly end. The barrier separating traffic going in opposite direction may be comprised of structurally weak plasticky stuff. In fact, I'd say that some Singapore highways are much safer for supporting Autobahn speeds.

Yet they typically travel at 150+km/h even on the fast (left) lane of unrestricted sections (even the ones in relatively poor repair) while we're limited to 90 on our fast (right) lane.

Is it just because Asians can't drive or what?!

• Praise 2

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The speed limits here are unrealistically low.

Remember, I just came back from Germany. Much of the Autobahn is unrestricted, although there are stretches that are limited. But a lot of it, even the unrestricted stretches, are not the wide-laned, forgiving expanses of tarmac that most people think them to be. The road can suddenly narrow and lanes may quickly end. The barrier separating traffic going in opposite direction may be comprised of structurally weak plasticky stuff. In fact, I'd say that some Singapore highways are much safer for supporting Autobahn speeds.

Yet they typically travel at 150+km/h even on the fast (left) lane of unrestricted sections (even the ones in relatively poor repair) while we're limited to 90 on our fast (right) lane.

I feel 1 key reason is Culture.

Over there, if someone travel at highspeed and get killed because of it, the general sentiment is that the person in question is responsible for his/her own death. i.e. can choose not to go beyond a speed in which you cannot control the vehicle. The belief is "You are responsible for your own well being. Nobody owe you a living."

Over here, once something bad happen, the general sentiment is gahment or somebody must step in/come in to regulate/enforce etc etc to prevent future occurrence. The belief is "Everybody (especially the gahment) owe me a living."

:a-bang:

• Praise 1

They have autobahns through city areas?  And the distance between each exit is how far? 

The speed limits here are fine for the expressways.  The distances are short, and you have a diverse range of vehicles using the expressways.  If you have some doing 150 and others doing 50, you are asking for regular and very dangerous accidents.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

With the amount of exits we have, our expressways aren't really similar to their Autobahn  Our expressways have so many exits that some foreigners don't even feel like it is a highway at all. More like a major road in their country to them. So we should compare the speed limits to those of their major roads rather than their autobahn.

• Praise 1

They have autobahns through city areas?  And the distance between each exit is how far? 

The speed limits here are fine for the expressways.  The distances are short, and you have a diverse range of vehicles using the expressways.  If you have some doing 150 and others doing 50, you are asking for regular and very dangerous accidents.

Fair points.

Still, I believe the are still room to go higher even for Sillypore's context.

Our expressways should have no problem at all to accommodate up to 110km/hr without any corresponding increase in road accident statistic.

We have a bad driving culture here where we talk about entitlement.  In addition, most drivers are not aware of oncoming traffic.

Lastly, if really need to overtake, just step harder on the accelerator.

• Praise 1

Just like clementi ave 6 from pie. Also got this sign and as well in sentosa bridge

Sentosa bridge there is speed camera.

On the island, after merlion towards the bridge outside RWS also a speed camera.

• Praise 1

If set limit to 110kmh, our gahmen lose revenue le haha

Set to 110 better. More accident = more car scrap

No use coe quota remain the same

It will only benefit repair workshops

On serious note, i think some stretch really must increase to 110 like in ecp, bke, kje, aye near tuas and some stretch in tpe and pie

No use coe quota remain the same

It will only benefit repair workshops

On serious note, i think some stretch really must increase to 110 like in ecp, bke, kje, aye near tuas and some stretch in tpe and pie

I think most part of our expressway should be increase to 110km/h.

During peak period, certain stretch of expressway should be reduced.  Unfortunately, most of our drivers and LTA can't handle change.

I don't know what you mean by "through city areas", because even our expressways don't literally go through the city areas.

However, the Autobahn certainly connects big cities. A3 connects Frankfurt to Nuerberg, passing many towns along the way.

This is what an unrestricted stretch of the A3 looks like for instance (not my video):

If you look at the condition of the roads, it's not fantastic. I've driven on many stretches of the N-S highway that are much better maintained. And even stretches of some Singapore roads look like they can easily sustain higher speeds.

You asked about exits. Exits (Ausfahrten) don't occur every kilometer like in our expressways in that video, but there are stretches where exits are a little more frequent. Still, the frequency of exits shouldn't matter too much if people obey strict lane discipline - i.e. they keep to the fast lane until they judge that it's the right time for them to filter to the slower lanes in preparation for exiting (i.e. they don't do dumbass things like chiong across all the lanes straight to the exit, something beloved of Sillyporeans). If proper lane discipline can be maintained (and slow ass vehicles kept off the fast lane), we can do much better in terms of speed limit. I'm not asking for an unrestricted highway, I know that's unrealistic. But we can easily up the limit in many 90 stretchs to 110km/h, as someone else suggested.

Interestingly, the video highlights one example of unexpected driver behaviour in Germany that I did observe when I was there. I always assumed drivers in the fast lane (left) would move over with alacrity when approached rapidly by a fast vehicle. But they don't - they take their time. And often, they don't signal. In this respect, I actually find the Malaysians have better road etiquette.

But both nationalities have Singaporeans beat hollow in terms of road sense and courtesy. And even with the limitations in German road behaviour, they still trust the populace enough to leave a lot of the Autobahn unrestricted. Looks like Singaporeans still have a long way to go toward earning a modicum of trust.

I think most part of our expressway should be increase to 110km/h.

During peak period, certain stretch of expressway should be reduced. Unfortunately, most of our drivers and LTA can't handle change.

Yeah generally can but they need to change the signage too. For example exit should be placed 3km before instead of 2km

Supercharged

Its not really sudden.

really? 

i challenge u to follow the 50km/h strictly and then see how suddenly u become mobile chicane,

with most other vehicles either jam brake behind u or zooming past you.

i oredi noe, coz i most of the time try to obey the speed limits, even the stupidly low ones...

prease be more realistic can?

how many motorists actually follow the 50km/h limit? most go at least 70km/h w/o breaking a sweat!

so why put such an unnecessarily low limit?

Edited by Eyke
↡ Advertisement