Recommended TV Tuner?

Carlover76

Neutral Newbie

I intend to install a TV tuner on my car but not sure which brand of Digital TV Tuners are good?

I have heard brands like VAV, Unify etc and there are some china brands selling around $160 without installation.

Their feedback is that TV Mobile is very clear even in the move but other channels like CH5,8, Channelnewsasia are not very clear in other areas, only clear in the west.

Not sure other brands like VAV will suffer the same problem? Anyone installing the TV Tuners in your car can give me some feedback, thanks.

↡ Advertisement

I installed VAV DIgital tuner with twin antenna ard $600+ incl labour, veri clear,little distortion.can get ch5,ch8,cna,tv mobile and teletext...other brands i not too sure.

$160 cant get la..unless u tokin abt analogue..then ur wasting ur $$...u b more frustrated at the distorted channels.

Say u installed digital already,try 2 drive ard to c any distortion..if ok then gd..but if not...can go back complain 2 installer.

i heard it was a matter of speed travelled

was told some are good for speeds up to 60km/h while others can receive even at 200km/h

try this

www.innovasiatech.com

they have one that they guarantee up to 250km/h but cost $550

Neutral Newbie

Thanks, I have check out the Innovasiatech and their price for the antenna is $520, they are giving total of 3 antennas, 2 digital antennas and 1 analog antenna.

Of course their warranty is very attractive, 1st year one-to-one exchange and after 1 year warranty, they will help you send back for repair and at the mean time, they will loan you another set for usage. thumbsup.gif

the chap i spoke to when i was there was a rather honest guy

and i think they get mass orders from PIs

i know CarTimes fit most of their cars with Innovasia's 2 din DVD player

i am however reluctant to install this first because it's still a grey area where TP is concerned and I think 520 is a little steep to pay for something i am unlikely to use 90% of the time on the road

Neutral Newbie

But if compared the Smart-I from Innovasiatech and the China brand from AIMS then of course theirs might be better quality and back by strong warranty.

The one selling in AIMS is indeed very cheap as only cost around $160 exclude installation, maybe you can consider getting that if you think $520 is a little steep and if compared to VAV, it will cost your around $600-$700.

(edited)

are you guys able to get full digital reception 100% of the time? For me, it still depends on the area and the surroundings (although chances of losing reception is much beter compared to analog previously). Is it simply of case of adding more antennas to get 100% reception?

Edited by Beachboys

I bought at AV-one think they are the sole distributor for this brand.

Twin antenna 1 i tink in front bumper and another in the rear..both hidden.

When i first got the VAV tuner, i connect to 2 tv..one in the front,1 in the rear.

The rear reception no problem,front always disapear when on the move.I went back there and they manage rectify for me. So far i cant say 100% all the time la...ard 80-100%, even when waiting for my fiance in built up area.

I can watch tv w/o distortion,on the move there b slight distortion but onli once a while.

Neutral Newbie

Oh, does it mean that if get cheaper TV Tuner, the reception for CH5, 8 and CNA will be poorer when on the move?

I heard so far only TV Mobile has the better reception, I just want to find out is that necessary to get those expensive TV Tuner like VAV or Smart-I in order to get good reception for all the channels?

juz dun buy analog..or digital tuner with 1 antenna..now newer 1s comes with 2 antenna..

tis 1 u ask end users better..i using VAV..no complain.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks, brother.

Anyone using those China or cheaper brand of Tuner, can give me on your feedback on the reception on all the channels while you are on the move?

Neutral Newbie

Bro, I am using the tv tuner from Innovasia. So far so good. Speed of the car does not really affect the reception. I would say its the location of the car.For sure there will be no signals in basement carparks and sometimes mscp. there are also times when the reception in a particular area is weaker then elsewhere. There are also antenna boosters in the market to solve that problem.

Personally i dun see the need to get that yet but I must say its really great to have a mobile tv and not worry having to miss that show u wanted to catch.

For mine, I have two antennas placed at my last row seats (Stream). The placement of the antenna and whether your windows are tinted will also affect the quality.

I think its worth the buy esp to keep the CO quiet in the car.. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement