1.6 FSI engine to be replaced

Fluffy

New VW 122 PS TSI Engine In Detail

Text & Photos edited by Brian Potter

Source: Volkswagen AG

edited May 29, 2007

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/count...ngine-in-detail

Editor's summary:

In addition to the current twincharged (turbo + supercharger) 170hp and 140hp TSI engines, this third engine is the newest addition to the TSI lineup. It retains the same 1.4 liter iron crankcase as the larger TSI engines, however, it is not twincharged since it loses the supercharger but keeps the turbo. Set to replace the current 1.6 FSI engine (85 kW / 115 hp), the new TSI engine at 122hp (90 kW) makes 200Nm of torque, 30% more than the 1.6 FSI, and reduces fuel consumption by 6 percent. Torque curve is impressive by achieving 80% maximum torque at 1250 rpm and then holding 100 percent torque from 1500 rpm to 3500 rpm.

Full details in the press release below.

Overview

TSI Engine Offensive

New TSI with 122 PS: Economical and Powerful

Economical: New TSI consumes six percent less fuel

Powerful: Maximum torque of 200 Nm in reserve at a low 1,500 rpm

Maximum power with minimum fuel consumption

post-22-1180771081_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

so this is a 1.4l TSI ? 1.4L is good but I guess our insurance will be loaded since its TCed ... tongue.gif

at least it runs on 95unleaded.

Neutral Newbie

Sounds too good to be bought in by CA, even if VW decides to give the engine to Skoda. And they'll probably charge us a zillion dollars to buy one unit. HA ha.

But it is most impressive, I must say. Hoping VW SG will incorporate into the Jetta and import in s'pore.

different tuning and the GT has supercharger.

this new one tuned for economy and only has turbo no super

Neutral Newbie

Resale value has not much bearing nowadays. what the car dealers do is simply get ur paper value derived from the standard formula (would be easily available at LTA website) and plus a certain amount of the standard car body value (which goes fairly standard according to the overseas market - pretty standard that goes like eg. Corolla G9 gets $8k within 5 years, $6k after 5th years...Jazz get $6k within 5 years and $5k after 5 years bla bla bla...

Huh... I think re-sale value is no issue nowadays, most importantly, u must like what we want to buy and drive, also we must be able to afford it and not over commit ourselves.

This engine is one hell of technology, 1.4 TSI worth waiting for. I understand that its going to be around $85k or so.... a tad high for some. of course i guess its OMV is about the range of $25k or so, if i'm right.

For VW siaw people, there is one more Golf R36 that tops all which will be the end of the Golf range for MK V before it gets its replacement. I guess MK VI should be standard TSI & 7-speed DSG throughout the range liao. [:)]

Neutral Newbie

Ah so....funny isn't it? On one end (read - s, rs...) they're dumping forced induction for larger cubes while on the other it looks like they're dumping chargers into everything they can find... [dizzy]

from what I remember, our local FSI engines require 98ron ratings (Any VW FSI owners can confirm this).. even though the specs say RON 95.. it also says it requires Super Unleaded.. do we have that in Singapore?

maybe that's why they are replacing the 1.6FSI engine ..... idea.gif ?

its now 1.4L, TCed, running on 95 ... hence, more with less ..... thumbsup.gif

Neutral Newbie

hi guys.. actualli i'm thinkin of buyin VW GT 1.4.. but just call the sales centre todae the sales lady told mi no stock.. the stock will come in nov this year.. and the price will be $103,200.

any advice? hope to read up more review abt this car..

(edited)

The article might have miss somethings out....he paid the 6 percent saving and cost of engine etc....outfront. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Fortress

The trend of TC 1.6L is catching on ie. BMW & Peugeot/Citroen joint developed TC 1.6L.

The technology of European N.A. 1.6L engine seem to have gone past its peak.

This time smaller engine like the TC 1.4L is targeted to meet rising emission standards in future.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)
different tuning and the GT has supercharger.

this new one tuned for economy and only has turbo no super

GT is supercharge AND turbo charge.. so hopefully for the new engine, insurance and price will be ... lowered?

Edited by Fingerfood
↡ Advertisement