Qn about the centre hole adaptor of rims

Bulls_is_back

Is it alright to install a rim without an adapter to match the centre bore?

It is a bit*h to find the adaptor to fit BBS rims coz the outer diameter required 82mm.

I need 82mm to 60mm adaptor.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hi Bull_Is_Back, imo, if we are talking about safety concern, installing a wheel without a centre bore adaptor shouldn't be too much of an issue. With the reasoning that the stress is divided among 4/5/6 points per wheel. However, it is very important to use nuts/bolts with the right nuts/bolts seats(typically its 60-degree tapered or spherical) that matches the bolt holes of the rim. Some of the common issues (according to some car owners) derived from installing without adaptors are vibrations, bearing noise after prolonged usage, etc. On the other hand, there are also cases where installing without adaptor doesn't pose any problem for the driver at all. But its best to consult a experienced tyre-shop owner that u trust. [:)] Hope this help, happy driving! [thumbsup]

**PM me if u need a recommendation, cheers. [;)]

Found the Hub Centric Rings and got it done at TPY Ind park (around Lor 8) at $9 each ... machined from aluminum.

[inline Hub-Centric-Rings.jpg]

Actually it is 82mm to 60.06mm (~60.1mm) ... the uncle there seems very knowledgeable about different rims and fit to different cars.

They machine wheel spacers like these also,

[inline Spacer1.jpg]

How much do these usually cost?

thanks

post-7-1181143788_thumb.jpg

post-7-1181143789.jpg

$9 is quite good. My shop charge $15 each to fabricate the hub rings. Can share the exact address of your shop?

Is it alright to install a rim without an adapter to match the centre bore?

It is a bit*h to find the adaptor to fit BBS rims coz the outer diameter required 82mm.

I need 82mm to 60mm adaptor.

Bro Harry have practically answered your question. Generally it's safe but at certain speed, you might feel some vibration.

Which car are you fitting the BBS (which model) to?

Usually the one that sold you the rim should be able to provide the hub ring, esp for BBS which they might need to order if your car model is listed as suitable for the rim.

Another way is to frabricate it yourselves but not really cheap.

For mine, the workshop choses one that closely fit the rim and the center bore and then uses penknife to slowly scrap it to size. It took 4 of them 3hours to do it. [sweatdrop]

http://www.mycarforum.com/forum/gforum.cgi...=kudos;#1749393

For mine, the workshop choses one that closely fit the rim and the center bore and then uses penknife to slowly scrap it to size. It took 4 of them 3hours to do it.

That is crazy. For 4x3 man hours, you can drive down to a machine shop and make one set.

Everything sui sui and fit exactly.

Mine is outer diameter too small, how to expand?

lan lan had to fabricate.

I got my BBS 2nd hand, the previous owner drive different car from mine.

BBS RK had these huge 82mm outer diameter Hub Centric Rings.

Normal replica or Jap rims had 73mm at most, I think. Tyre shops normally don't carry the 82mm part.

I was advised to go to machine shop coz the real BBS stuff cost a lot and need time to arrive.

Anyway I got mine fabricated already, see pic.

$9 a piece and thanks to the nice tyre shop pple for fixing them for some kopi lui only.

I as quoted $18-$25 each by some other popular shops in Ubi area.[thumbsdown][rifle]

Nice find. $9 is really cheap. I got my weird size in Ebay coz too lazy to search around the shops physically. tongue.gif

Do share the name of the shop, will be good reference for folks here.

I know.. the manhours doesn't really make sense but then, it was goodwill from Hankook for the tyres brought.. [:)]

Frankly, no one expect it to take that long. [sweatdrop]

and i didn't have to pay extra for it.

A1 for effort ...

At the price they charge for rims and tyres, and their rates for trade in, they better do everything sui sui and don't charge extra.

nah.. rims was BYO... imported from US.

only tried their tyres since so many say good. and it's quite affordable..

↡ Advertisement