LEXUS RX400h

Higgsboson

hi. any one have any opinion on the new RX400h?
1. since it is new technology, can i get outside workshop to work on the parts?
2. any possible bugs or fault due to the new motor and etc in there?
3. the CC is 3.3L with electric motor, how much roadtax is it altogether to pay?
would like to find out more... thanks.

↡ Advertisement

1) When u buy a lexus, I think its best u service it with lexus, the service centre is great.

2) None currently

3) its the same as any 3311 cc car road tax, do ur own calculation.

Btw.. it only have 208bhp. =

thanks. i just check the previous thread on this 400h.

1. no body outside know how to handle it after warranty

2. battery technology is questionable

3. hp like u say sucks for a 3.3l

4. expensive and dont match the $ paid

Not true, road tax is higher than a normal 3.3L car.

"The only real problem is the extra road tax 'penalty' you rather unfairly incur.

The road tax structure for hybrids like the RX takes horsepower, rather than engine capacity into account, for fear that people might get away by paying relatively less tax for powerful hybrids with engine capacities smaller than their petrol-engined equivalents.

You therefore end up having to shell out about $900 more in annual road tax for the RX 400h over the RX 350, even though the former is cleaner, more frugal, and has a smaller engine."

Taken from: http://onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotor...n_a_bottle.html

i heard even if the petrol engine is a 3.3L car, the electric motor gives an equivalent of 1L engine, so u end up paying roadtax for a 4L car

That is d oxymoron of our roadtax. Basically, our roadtax system is outdated & it discourage d conversion 2 enviro friendly vehicle.

I think a lot of ppl forget that tis ka has 2 electric motor in addition 2 d engine.

Front motor

Max hp: 167hp

Max torque: 333nm

Rear motor

Max hp: 68hp

Max torque: 130nm

Combined max hp: 272

This is equivalent to max hp of petrol version.

Tis ka is suitable 4 us due to all d start-stop traffic. In low speed / stationery, only electric motor is activated. Look @ d city fuel consumption according 2 lexus USA:

RX350: 7km/L

RX400h: 13.2km/L

That is almost 89% saving in fuel consumption.

sorry to revive this thread but it has been a long time since.

Any bros here drove or driving the rx400h? Looking to purchase one but not sure what is the road tax, how reliable is the hybrid technology and whether it can be serviced outside. Can the two system work independently such as when hybrid system is down, the car can still work on its own? Any bro who have drove the Rx450h can help also? Thanks in advance

sorry to revive this thread but it has been a long time since.

Any bros here drove or driving the rx400h? Looking to purchase one but not sure what is the road tax, how reliable is the hybrid technology and whether it can be serviced outside. Can the two system work independently such as when hybrid system is down, the car can still work on its own? Any bro who have drove the Rx450h can help also? Thanks in advance

Sorry not sure abt the road tax, but if not mistaken abt the same as RX350.

Drove a 2008 RX400H almost daily for abt 11mths abt 2-3 yrs back - love the ride/good memories

- very quiet when just start the engine or idling (battery mode)

- fuel consumption abt 13-14 km/L

- power is more than sufficient to me, as good as old ES300 or latest ES300H but less powerful than GS300, accelerating at traffic lights better than most cars.

- mark levinson sound system is nice

- space at the rear is good

- rear LED lights and rear fog lights very bright and nice

Some negative points

- power tailgate/autoboot - unable to close from dashboard button inside the car

- slight vibration when the car switch to petrol mode from battery mode.

- no keyless

- small round front fog lights in hybrid seems less useful compared to the RX300 or 350 variant

- no reverse camera

- unlike new lexus, hybrid battery warranty only cover 5 yrs if not mistaken.

Before you get a used RX400h, see the dashboard battery charging system to assess that its functioning (play with the various mode, to see the charging pattern, battery level should be minimum 2 bar left and max 1 bar short between cycle. Range (from full tank to almost zero) should be around 600-700km.

Overall, its a better car (more powerful, more features, higher specs, better rear LED lights, quieter, better fuel consumption) compared to non hybrid RX, go for it!

Sorry not sure abt the road tax, but if not mistaken abt the same as RX350.

Drove a 2008 RX400H almost daily for abt 11mths abt 2-3 yrs back - love the ride/good memories

- very quiet when just start the engine or idling (battery mode)

- fuel consumption abt 13-14 km/L

- power is more than sufficient to me, as good as old ES300 or latest ES300H but less powerful than GS300, accelerating at traffic lights better than most cars.

- mark levinson sound system is nice

- space at the rear is good

- rear LED lights and rear fog lights very bright and nice

Some negative points

- power tailgate/autoboot - unable to close from dashboard button inside the car

- slight vibration when the car switch to petrol mode from battery mode.

- no keyless

- small round front fog lights in hybrid seems less useful compared to the RX300 or 350 variant

- no reverse camera

- unlike new lexus, hybrid battery warranty only cover 5 yrs if not mistaken.

Before you get a used RX400h, see the dashboard battery charging system to assess that its functioning (play with the various mode, to see the charging pattern, battery level should be minimum 2 bar left and max 1 bar short between cycle. Range (from full tank to almost zero) should be around 600-700km.

Overall, its a better car (more powerful, more features, higher specs, better rear LED lights, quieter, better fuel consumption) compared to non hybrid RX, go for it!

HI Alphard96

Thanks for your help. Out of curiosity, why you only drive it for 11mths? My main concern is the replacement cost for the hybrid battery. I drive only about 10k/year so the fuel saved might be less than the cost for the replacement battery. Some of the newer model of RX450h seems like having problem at around 4-5 years old only. Main reason i looking at this because i think it look must better than the normal Rx and also better specs.

I should be test driving one soon but quite hard to test the range of 600-700km per tank. I roughly know the battery indication showing when it is using petrol, battery etc.Have you experienced any errors before?Thanks a lot!

True, make more economical sense for hybrid for those who drive more, 10K a year is only half expected for most SG drivers. However, for my personal preferences, the hybrid specs/refinement more than enough to justify getting it.

Not sure abt battery issues but yes, shd be costly if need to replace not under warranty.

Drove the RX400H for less than year only as the new car arrived!

For latest RX450 (drove the facelift version), actually find it to be much a heavier car and of slower acceleration, not as responsive really. Also not sure why the mark levinson system not as good, seems to lack base too, even my kids notice it. And the moonroof cannot be open - just glass roof. But the HUD is nice - can see speed and navi.

True, make more economical sense for hybrid for those who drive more, 10K a year is only half expected for most SG drivers. However, for my personal preferences, the hybrid specs/refinement more than enough to justify getting it.

Not sure abt battery issues but yes, shd be costly if need to replace not under warranty.

Drove the RX400H for less than year only as the new car arrived!

For latest RX450 (drove the facelift version), actually find it to be much a heavier car and of slower acceleration, not as responsive really. Also not sure why the mark levinson system not as good, seems to lack base too, even my kids notice it. And the moonroof cannot be open - just glass roof. But the HUD is nice - can see speed and navi.

I am in a dilemma now. Actually i was thinking of buying it and extend COE if it is really reliable. I believed you changed to a Alphard?

Servicing wise, did you go back to Borneo? Do you know if the car can work independently if the hybrid system is not working? From what i understand, the GS450h can be done but there will be still some minor inconveniences

I am in a dilemma now. Actually i was thinking of buying it and extend COE if it is really reliable. I believed you changed to a Alphard?

Servicing wise, did you go back to Borneo? Do you know if the car can work independently if the hybrid system is not working? From what i understand, the GS450h can be done but there will be still some minor inconveniences

Both alphard and vellfire sold already.

In my opinion, servicing at authorised agent can be relatively expensive but worthwhile to enable the car to be covered under warranty.

Once warranty over (eg 3 yrs, or 5 yrs, or 100 000 km), perhaps just go to any good shops for servicing - Japanese car esp toyota, not v difficult to service/get parts etc.

But hybrid battery - no idea but possible costly.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

Any idea how much to replace the hybrid battery for RX400h and where to get it replaced?

Thks in advance

AJ

Hi,

Any idea how much to replace the hybrid battery for RX400h and where to get it replaced?

Thks in advance

AJ

Is it still under agent warranty?

↡ Advertisement