Toyota unveil Valvematic.. the nextGen VVTi

Apollo

WOW! so good [thumbsup]

more impressive sentance [mad]

'an improvement of 5% to 10% can be seen with fuel efficiency'

'an improvement of 10% with the power output on a similiar engine displacement comparison'

'as well as improved acceleration responsiveness'

if really like that, VVT-i will win over Honda Vtec liao [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Guess Toyota R&D is sleeping all this while cos the company concentrating on expanding the company and reducing cost on manufacturing their parts. thumbsdown.gif

Only Honda is working hard and putting efforts on their engine technology and design for their cars! thumbsup.gif

This Valvematic is similar to the upcoming Honda's Advance VTEC, A-VTEC.

Just have to see how the mechanism they employ for the variable lift works for Valvematic.

Neutral Newbie

Will wait and see how effective it is cos it does not mean new technology, it is good.

You must be aware that all Toyota engine parts are all made in China including items like valve, cylinders, pistons.

Take a look at the new technology for gear box like CVT, the Japanese are having a major problem now on the maintenance on their CVT gearbox and all CVT gearboxes have to send back to Japan to repair.

WOW! so good [thumbsup]

more impressive sentance [mad]

'an improvement of 10% with the power output on a similiar engine displacement comparison'

if really like that, VVT-i will win over Honda Vtec liao [thumbsup]

i would be very cautious with all these claims. why? here's an example:

a particular car maker depicts its fuel-economy claims as 25% improvement in FC every year since 2001.

year 2000 FC is say 1x.

year 2001 it's 1x + 0.25x = 1.25x

year 2002 it's 1x + (1.25x * 0.25) = 1.3125x

year 2003 it's 1x + (1.3125x * 0.25) = 1.328125x

year 2004 it's 1x + (1.328125x * 0.25) = 1.33203125x

year 2005 it's 1x + (1.33203125x * 0.25) = 1.333007813x

year 2006 it's 1x + (1.333007813x * 0.25) = 1.333251953x

so u can see, they are not wrong in making such claims. it follows a geometric progression that gives marginal gains that tapers off as the years go by. this is based on the improvement in FC compared to the previous year's FC.

Hmmm, seems to read this from some publication...isn't that what Hxndx has claimed?

Anyway, whatever FC improvement they so call claimed...my friend's 1.8FD is doing just over 10km/l for 70/30 highway/city usage and he is those super miser kind that seldom ram his car...

So where is the claim of "FC similar to 1.5L engine" ??? [:/]

your calc seem flawed.

lets say a base car model consume 10L/100km and the company improves FC by 10% for each new model compared to the previous one.

Model 1 use 10.0L/100km

Model 2 10*0.9 9.0L/100km

Model 3 9*0.9 8.1L/100km

Model 4 8.10.9 7.3L/100km

yes the gains in FC is diminishing from model to model, but the gains are hardly insignificant.

tat's y all take all these values with a pinch of salt.

seldom ram does not 100% equate to better FC. u have to see what is the optimal engine rpm at what speed, and in the process of reaching that optimal savings, is it slowly reaching there or aggressively reaching that desired speed.

Are you sure?a civic FD can easily goes up to 12km/l for mine.i accelerate until 2.5 or 3rpm.think he didnt send for servicing?

(edited)
WOW! so good

more impressive sentance

if really like that, VVT-i will win over Honda Vtec liao

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i would be very cautious with all these claims. why? here's an example:

a particular car maker depicts its fuel-economy claims as 25% improvement in FC every year since 2001.

year 2000 FC is say 1x.

year 2001 it's 1x + 0.25x = 1.25x

year 2002 it's 1x + (1.25x * 0.25) = 1.3125x

year 2003 it's 1x + (1.3125x * 0.25) = 1.328125x

year 2004 it's 1x + (1.328125x * 0.25) = 1.33203125x

year 2005 it's 1x + (1.33203125x * 0.25) = 1.333007813x

year 2006 it's 1x + (1.333007813x * 0.25) = 1.333251953x

so u can see, they are not wrong in making such claims. it follows a geometric progression that gives marginal gains that tapers off as the years go by. this is based on the improvement in FC compared to the previous year's FC.

hmm.. isn't 25% improvement in FC 1.25 x the previous claimed economy figure?

Regardless of how I interprete it, 25% improvement every year for 5 years is not as small as your sums have shown.

Edited by Sturtles

i would not know in time to come how efficient are these engines are, but up til now, it's still a fact that gasoline engines are still very inefficient despite radical technological improvements.

(edited)
Hmmm, seems to read this from some publication...isn't that what Hxndx has claimed?

Anyway, whatever FC improvement they so call claimed...my friend's 1.8FD is doing just over 10km/l for 70/30 highway/city usage and he is those super miser kind that seldom ram his car...

I'm doing 11km/l for 50/50 highway/city usage with average rpm of 2.5, so was my previous 323. Thus I am having no complaint, same FC but more power.

Edited by W2K_83

Got lah... same as my 1990 1.5l toyota [laugh]

To be frank though, if you look at the FC for the 1.5 vs 1.8 in the civic, lancer, corolla etc class (the 1.5 petrol versions can be found in the commercial versions of these vehicles), the FC for the 1.8 is better simply because it has to work less hard to maintain normal drivability.

(edited)

I didn't say that. I am just saying that your calculation might be off.

3L/100km ... can on a gasoline radio control car.

On a more serious note,

http://ruby.inquirer.net/roadtrip/display....t=0426news4.php

They achieve 22.1km/L for a Golf 1.6 FSI (manufacturer spec 14.3km/L).

http://paultan.org/archives/2007/06/11/hon...nomy-challenge/

The winner hit 26.2km/L on 1.3L Honda City.(manufacturer spec 16km/L)

Moral of the story, with the right driver/journey/car combination, 33.3km/L might just be possible today for gasoline car.

Edited by EventH

Turbocharged
Guess Toyota R&D is sleeping all this while cos the company concentrating on expanding the company and reducing cost on manufacturing their parts. thumbsdown.gif

Only Honda is working hard and putting efforts on their engine technology and design for their cars! thumbsup.gif

ya lor..tot honda has this technology in their agenda long time back? just the question as to when they are going to release it in their car..

↡ Advertisement