OPC Cars can be kept for how long?

Slayer666

Neutral Newbie

Hi people, after 10yrs(when the loan is finally settleD) can we keep the car for another 10yrs(as long as we pass the yearly inspection?) Or, do we have to scrap no matter what?

I've seen a few old cars that are OPC still driving around.

Pls enlighten me... thanks [angel]

↡ Advertisement

Actually, OPC can convert to normal plate anytime. Just have to pay the proportional amount of the rebate and can convert liow.

I think what lesser known is what's the pricing of the 2nd COE gonna be like

Neutral Newbie

u mean after the 10yrs we have to pay normal COE?

But there are several cars on the road with SBP/ SB_ something red plate still driving around leh. They should be 10yrs old right?

Or am i wrong?

1.My dad's SBJ will be reaching 20yr mark in 3 yrs time so yes, SB** plates are reasonably >10yrs old

2.2nd COE for OPC at full COE or with $17K rebate BOTH sounds wrong to me ....

Hmm, good question. 17K rebate is for 10yrs, so annually 1.7K. If you need to convert to normal plate, just top up whatever rebate not yet used. So after 10yrs by right, $17 all given to you, owner would have paid car price - 17K at 1st.

So for 2nd COE, if less than 17K COE, get $$ back? [laugh] . Donkey years ago, COE has never thought to reach such low levels, better check with the authorities.

(edited)

If really is $17K rebate, I renew my car now (1yr old only). Can stretch till 2017 and still get $ back .... hehehe

Just want to point out.

We don't really buy a 2nd COE. We renew our existing COE at the Prevailing Quota Premium when we want to.

Looking at it that way, it may be inferred that there is no further 'advantage' of keeping the OPC (heck, it becomes 'disadvantageous' to have OPC after Yr 10) Unless it means that on that renewal, it is also converted to be a normal use car. Any thoughts?

Edited by Scoots

COE for private vehicle can renew >20 years as long as it's a 10 yr COE renewal not 5.

Else how can u explain 1970 VW bettle on the road?

(edited)

no nid to dream. wink.gif

http://www.lta.gov.sg/motoring_matters/mot...mes_offpeak.htm

New cars registered as an OPC will enjoy:

arrow.gif

An upfront rebate of $17,000 to be offset against the following items:

(a) COE Quota Premium

(b) Additional Registration Fee (ARF)

The rebate is first offset against the COE premium payable. Any excess is then offset against the ARF payable.

arrow.gif A flat discount of $800 on annual road tax, subject to a minimum road tax payment of $50 per year.

Edited by Osiris