TestDrive Report: Civic FD1 MT: 06July2007

Ilmw

The first time I drove an Alfa Romeo, it was a 1.6 147 manual (not selespeed). It was mind-blowing. I've never encountered an engine that respond like that. I am not an Alfa owner, so the word I'd use is only a technical one - it is soooo freaking FREE-REVING.

With a foot only slightly heavier than that used for highway 100km/h cruising, I was at 5000-6000 RPM when I thought I was at 3000 RPM to change from 1st gear to 2nd. The RPM is ... gravity-defying! (in a rush to get off traffic light sprint, i accidentally hit the RPM limiter of 7200). And the engine note as the RPMs go up... it's heaven.

When alfa owners say 'passion' and 'soul' of driving abt their cars, i think i can understand, i think i know what they're talking abt.. and i can only dream.

on Fri 6 Jul, i went to test drive the Civic 1.8. i've heard Honda's MT gear is slick as butter, so i opt for MT first.

It is soooo freaking FREE-REVING!! OMG! Exactly like an alfa. i thought i would never feel such an engine outside of alfa.. i was wrong. and the short-shift gear stick .... my gooodness... short, precise. it is better than the alfa! i can rest my elbow on the armrest and it won't affect my gan-cheong "racing" mood.

after all the passion has died down, i believe i know what is the secret. (i'm no mechanic) - it is drive-by-wire. See here.

[ol][*]the throttle wire tells the ECU[*]ECU takes other aspects into consideration [*]ECU tells engine what to do[/ol]In "normal" cars, step #2 is missing. hence, RPM is limited by "gravity".

SE tells me the clutch is also drive-by-wire. it's benefit is that when you clutch-in for a gear change, yr RPM does not drop, it is held there for the 1-2 seconds while u shift the stick. u do not lose speed, u do not lose RPM! ... wah cool! ...

Has any alfa owner driven a Civic MT lately?

↡ Advertisement

"SE tells me the clutch is also drive-by-wire. it's benefit is that when you clutch-in for a gear change, yr RPM does not drop, it is held there for the 1-2 seconds while u shift the stick. u do not lose speed, u do not lose RPM! ... wah cool! ..."

No, it's call rev hang and it sucks.

So that's the new excuse KM is giving to ppl now regarding rev hang.

Well done Kah Motor [thumbsup]

The US Civics gets a ECU reflash to solve the issue instead of an excuse.

Twincharged

clutch drive by wire? ask SE dun talk cxxk la. dunno say dunno. dun anyhow smoke smoke. clutch is actuated by hydraulic fluid. on some older cars or other designs its via a cable. using fluid makes the clutch lighter, via master and slave cylinders. calculation is the the same as what was studied in secondary school on pressure.

(edited)

I tried the civic FD it is indeed free reving, too bad it does not have an 8000rpm cut off coz hit redline too easily. sweatdrop.gif

Actually DBW enables electronic throttle which gives the flexibility for further tuning. The FD may have aggressive throttle response programming. Not every DBW is programmed as such though.

I actually prefer just non-DBW for a more linear and predictable response in throttle.

Edited by Falc

Having driven the 1.8M during that fateful test drive, and now that I own the 2.0M, I can attest to the "somewhat" free revving feeling (not too happy about the rev hang though). It feels smooth and you never want it to end.. but it does, and abruptly at 6800rpm frown.gif....

However, my previous 16 year old Presea (DOHC 1.6M), before and after a recon 2.5 year engine, was similarly "free revving" all the way to 7200rpm (rpm cut)... albeit less powerful. And that was without DBW and rev hang.

Neutral Newbie
"SE tells me the clutch is also drive-by-wire. it's benefit is that when you clutch-in for a gear change, yr RPM does not drop, it is held there for the 1-2 seconds while u shift the stick. u do not lose speed, u do not lose RPM! ... wah cool! ..."

Actually i agree...the rev hang is makes u look stupid when u high rev....the rev just stays there for a second......

Makiam like you cant control the acc.... [:(]

I is only good when u try 0-100 timings i presume.....

When u change gear from 1-2nd, the throttle still open!!! Then u gear in 2nd and release clutch....a mild wheen spin... [nod][nod]

But when semi agressive drive,,, [:(][:(]

i tk the rev hang also eat petrol [shakehead]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)
The first time I drove an Alfa Romeo, it was a 1.6 147 manual (not selespeed). It was mind-blowing. I've never encountered an engine that respond like that. I am not an Alfa owner, so the word I'd use is only a technical one - it is soooo freaking FREE-REVING.

With a foot only slightly heavier than that used for highway 100km/h cruising, I was at 5000-6000 RPM when I thought I was at 3000 RPM to change from 1st gear to 2nd. The RPM is ... gravity-defying! (in a rush to get off traffic light sprint, i accidentally hit the RPM limiter of 7200). And the engine note as the RPMs go up... it's heaven.

When alfa owners say 'passion' and 'soul' of driving abt their cars, i think i can understand, i think i know what they're talking abt.. and i can only dream.

on Fri 6 Jul, i went to test drive the Civic 1.8. i've heard Honda's MT gear is slick as butter, so i opt for MT first.

It is soooo freaking FREE-REVING!! OMG! Exactly like an alfa. i thought i would never feel such an engine outside of alfa.. i was wrong. and the short-shift gear stick .... my gooodness... short, precise. it is better than the alfa! i can rest my elbow on the armrest and it won't affect my gan-cheong "racing" mood.

after all the passion has died down, i believe i know what is the secret. (i'm no mechanic) - it is drive-by-wire. See here.

[ol][*]the throttle wire tells the ECU[*]ECU takes other aspects into consideration [*]ECU tells engine what to do[/ol]In "normal" cars, step #2 is missing. hence, RPM is limited by "gravity".

SE tells me the clutch is also drive-by-wire. it's benefit is that when you clutch-in for a gear change, yr RPM does not drop, it is held there for the 1-2 seconds while u shift the stick. u do not lose speed, u do not lose RPM! ... wah cool! ...

I confirm that the clutch is normal type one....not electronic DBW....becoz when engine off, i also can clutch in change gear and also u can see from the engine bay when u play with the clutch [;)]

Also the rev cut should be 6,800rpm....i tk when u see rev cut the needle was slightly towards the 7k liao....but rev cut is 6.8k....when u change at this rpm, u clutch in, the rpm will shoot abit higher....towards 7k....but timing, leg, hand must fast lah/... [:)]

Edited by Randall

Wouldn't you want the Revs to drop more quickly in between gear shifts? From what it sounds like, this Rev Hang thing sucks...

But I guess a simple Idle air restrictor would solve this.

Oh... so the term is rev hang. Yea, it really sucks. The only solution is to install sprintbooster rite? Any other solutions?

sounds like the solution for those that dunno how to do heel and toe driving.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Perhaps you might wanna test drive a Euro R or JDM Civic Type R.

To me, they are the benchmark for truly free-revving stock engine setups in this kind of price range. [nod]

Edited by Ferrari7
↡ Advertisement