Gear cannot engage from P to other mode

Curahee

Dear Bros, i have a problem recently. I cannot shift my gear from P to other mode. May i know what is wrong with the car? I drive a honda civic auto. Car abt a year old. Whenever i switch on engine, pull down handbrake, i cannot shift the gear from P to D. In the end, stuck in the car, cannot move. Need to try many many times and pray hard that it will engage. It become a headache esp in shopping malls when ppl waiting for my car to move off from the lot, i take 5 to 10 mins to move off, very inconvenient and pai sei. Any bro can en light me on this issue? Tmr gg to Kah Motor to rectify this problem. Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

They will tell u brake sensor problem, and change one for u nia. for now when u need to move and u cant get it to go to D rite, stop engine, insert key to transmission lock and shift to N then start ur car.

p/s: trans lock is the covered lid right on top of ur gear lever.

Turbocharged

are all your brake lights ok? did any fuse blow. for auto car, u need to press the brake to change gear and the brake is link to the brake fuse. if this fuse blow u cant shift.

Not mine. Anyway Civic FD is DBW. If sensor cannot detect that brake is being pressed then the P-lock will not disengage itself to allow the gear to be moved.

Hmmm seems like my one its sensor problem from what u describe. I need to keep on pressing my brake pedal repeatedly and some time press it very hard in order to engage. Damn it, only 1 yr old car got such problem liao.

Brother,same issue as mine.My civic FD also encounter this problem.Send back to AD to check,most probably brake switch spoil.My one is brake switch spoil,sometime on,sometime off.A brake switch cost around 65 to 80 dollars.

next time just press the shift lock button. then can shift already.

u keep trying and trying will only spoil the gear box even more.

Neutral Newbie

Yup agree, if it happen again, just use the shift lock button to engage to D. Its better to go for a check.

still warranty...send it for them to repair since its FOC....if not..just use a toothpick to stuck the shift lock button...that's it...disable the shift lock permanent liao...no point fixing this kind of things if it cost any single cent... [;)]

Brother,don't teach other the wrong thing.When shift lock is lock,the brake light shouldn't light up as well.As his case is similar to mine,i doubt is fuse problem.This is dangerous as when traveling at high speed,and you suddenly e-brake,the vehicle behind might not be able to see you slowing down as the light did not light up.This happen to me once.So pls send it for repair before any mischap happen.

that depends on what break down!! if you step the brake then brake light don't on...then you are right...but permanently depressing the shift lock button will not cause brake light not to lit up...the shift lock is just a safety feature for auto.. [;)]

Dear Bros, i have a problem recently. I cannot shift my gear from P to other mode. May i know what is wrong with the car? I drive a honda civic auto. Car abt a year old. Whenever i switch on engine, pull down handbrake, i cannot shift the gear from P to D. In the end, stuck in the car, cannot move. Need to try many many times and pray hard that it will engage. It become a headache esp in shopping malls when ppl waiting for my car to move off from the lot, i take 5 to 10 mins to move off, very inconvenient and pai sei. Any bro can en light me on this issue? Tmr gg to Kah Motor to rectify this problem. Thanks!

wow, one year old and got this kind of problem?

I know permanently depressing shift lock will not cause brake light not to lit up.Look at what he mention,he need to depress the brake pedal alot of times,and it might not work sometimes.This is the same issue as mine.So i guess,the brake light might not light up in the event of e-brake.and the car behind might come crashing up.

Yeah. Problem is brake switch spoil. Now change already. Working fine now. Hope dun spoil again. Kena window problem & gear problem within a year. Now i convince that i kena a lemon civic.