Using pressure washer - touchless car wash

Murphys33

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

I am exploring using a pressure washer from karcher to wash cars. I understand that one can attach a foam lance to it so that it can dispense detergent. Would washing a car this way, without the use of any mitts be clean?

Essentially, i use the high pressure spray nozzle to wash off dirt, then attach the foam / soap lance followed by another final spray down bia the pressure washer.

Appreciate any thots from enthusiast who may have tried this technique. thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

u mean using a pressure washer would strip off the wax? Groomworks typically use a prssure washer to wash cars. And i get the idea from there... they rinse and spray down car with pressure washer than run it over MF with car shampoo before using the pressure washer to give it a final wash before drying

after that they will apply the whatever product right?

thing is if u are washing in between waxing/sealants, i'd think u want to give it a gentle wash rather than a thorough wash which strips off everything u applied last time [;)]

there are some pple who never wax their car, only wash it.. then i'd say pressure wash might be easier and faster [nod]

or if u use it before detailing session, then washing everything off also nvm mah..

Neutral Newbie

Understand that one of the petrol station use to have such power jet wash. Think its under Caltex. But my friend have tried it and find that it does not clean up as good as normal manual wash. Morever if your car have certain paint chipped, not sure if it would actually cause the paint to peel off under such pressure? What U think?

(edited)

If you sign up package with Groomworks and if they throw in free 12 car washes , they also nvr apply anything after wash. I dun think using any pressure will remove any coating .

Jus my 1 cents worth .....

Edited by Chogokin

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Using pressure washer will not strip off ur sealant/wax unless u use it without any common sense. [laugh] No offence bro [thumbsup]

There are many types of setting that you can use with a pressure washer, with different spray width and the amount of pressure to use. Also, how far the head of the spray is from the paint makes a whole lot of difference.

Btw, i believe you will still need to use a wash mitt cos dirt that has dried on the paintwork will require some form of "scrubbing" to be removed. Most decent car shampoo is wax and sealant friendly, but not to the extend of being able to remove dirt without a medium.

Edited by Coltagious

(edited)

I've been using a Black&Decker pressure spray for my carwash. However I just use it to blast off loose dirt particles before I rub it with my washing mitt and then use the spray again to rinse off. The detergent attachment is fun and you get foam over the car, but I don't think alone without any contact is sufficient to thoroughly remove dirt or sticky stains.

It's pretty useful for blasting the alloy rims and getting the tyres squeaky clean.

Edited by Zerstorer

Can to share how much you paid for the B&D pressure spray?

is it a mess to hook it up and use it?

Cheers

The model is pw1400 and is now on offer at Homefix for $199, which seems to be quite a bargain considering the price of a comparable Karcher unit which delivers 120bar of pressure.

Well hookup is pretty simple, just secure the quick attachment adapter on your hose and u can just clip it on instantly. Basically it is more effective than a normal garden hose and uses much less water.

my common sense tells me if u want to use a LOW pressure washer, any garden hose with adjustable spray head will give good effect. we don't call that pressure washer

quite obviously, "pressure washer" means high pressure. [;)]

Neutral Newbie

Does the B&D pressure washer come with a detergent tank? or can you attach a foam gun attachment to the unit? The karcher moddel that has 120 bar pressure costs $498. the model is the K4.98 Alubest plus. This one comes with a detergent tank but no foam lance.

The B&D unit comes with 3 lances, one vario-spread lance, one rotating "dirtblaster" lance and the 3rd one comes with the detergent bottle attached. However, it doesn't seem to get very foamy...or perhaps its the shampoo I use.

↡ Advertisement