Project U or Brembo?

Ehonda

Neutral Newbie

i am on WRX 4/2 pot, need to change my front rotor and brake pad, price for both is abt the same ..have anyone on the below set-up? any commend? which hv better stopping power, less dust ... etc [sly][sly]

01. Front Project U slotted rotor and 0-500 degree brake pad --> $7++

02. Front Brembo slotted rotor and HAWK brake pad --> $7++

↡ Advertisement

You said "need to change". Or do you mean "want" to change?

Is your rotor worn out and now it is time for replacement? What is the OEM cost of rotor and pad? If only just marginally more then there is only little risk in "upgrading" to option 01 / 02.

If you have no real need to (ie your rotor and pads have a long way to go before replacement), then take your time and wait for someone with the same setup to let you test drive. Maybe you can sniff around in the Subaru forum? That is a better way to compare and find out for yourself.

Unless you are willing to take a gamble to just fit the rotor and pads and see for yourself, and write off the $700 if the change is not up to your expectation, there is no good way to confirm by just asking for comments.

If the workshop is any good they will have someone with the above mods who will let you test drive the above setup to assure and convince you.

But what actually are you looking for? If you just ask for comments it looks like you have no objective / no actual problem to resolve. If your brakes fade to nothing after a fast drive down the NSH near the Ipoh tunnel section, then yes there is a reason to change.

Since you want to keep your caliper, you can take a lower risk by changing to the pad first, see if you like the result, then change the rotor if you want more improvement.

But if you are just a rice boy and fit things without any idea what they do then go ahead it's your money.

how do we know if the rotor is worn out and time to change?

yesterday i went to rotate my wheels and the mechanic told me my front rotors already due for change.

I look at it and yes the rotor is no longer "flat", ie got a rim around the rotor about 1mm high.

but i don't feel any braking performance loss leh??

the mech recommended to me a set of TRW rotors for 340 incl installation. is this ok price? I driving wrx also btw.

how do we know if the rotor is worn out and time to change?

Your car manual should have this info, if not, the OEM workshop manual definitely will have the minimum thickness limits.

yesterday i went to rotate my wheels and the mechanic told me my front rotors already due for change.

I look at it and yes the rotor is no longer "flat", ie got a rim around the rotor about 1mm high.

Looks like they are visibly worn, but the question is whether it is worn to the limit. I don't know what the actual textbook limit is for your car.

but i don't feel any braking performance loss leh??

Then use some more until you feel a "performance loss", if that is your personal threshold of when to change rotor. For example, if you use your brake pads until they are almost worn through, they will groan loudly because there is a built-in metal finger that scrapes on the rotor to remind you loudly that it is time to change. There isn't any such reminder for rotors. If you track regularly, maybe it is more likely to crack because it is thinner? That should fit your definition of "performance loss".

the mech recommended to me a set of TRW rotors for 340 incl installation. is this ok price? I driving wrx also btw.

I don't know.

try getting 2nd opinion.

once, autobacs told me my kangoo rotor need to change. went to my regular mech and all i changed was pads and had the rotor skimmed and can liao.

could be they wanna make a quick buck. skimming cost me $30 or so. dunno cheap or ex but confirm much less than new rotor

(edited)

Tarox is another good brand for the rotors. Think selling at $580 for a front pair.

If you don't mind the OEM stock ones, you can get them ~ $250 for a front pair. (Mintex brand I think)

I am on TRW front pads.... ok lah...moderate dust, but the same pads on slotted/cross drilled rotors gives much, much better braking. How I know is because before I took over the brakes set, these pads were matched with the Tarox slotted disks and the braking power was demonstratedto me.

(I very frugal lah... kept the almost new Tarox disks for later use... wanna fully deplete my stock rotors first before changing to it [rolleyes] )

So I guess lousy pads + good disks = still good braking performance? [sweatdrop]

Edited by Dwoon

Being accompany my cousin to a work shop in Ubi..??? can't remember the name well..

There are many subaru customer there... saw the AP Racing brake disc rotor and caliper... very nice and look very robust...!

But, me did not ask the $$$$...

Me can't afford REX.. [lipsrsealed]

I think some brothers knows AP racing pricing...? [lipsrsealed]

here is it,

http://www.apracing.com/info/history.htm

Neutral Newbie
You said "need to change". Or do you mean "want" to change?

Is your rotor worn out and now it is time for replacement? What is the OEM cost of rotor and pad? If only just marginally more then there is only little risk in "upgrading" to option 01 / 02.

If you have no real need to (ie your rotor and pads have a long way to go before replacement), then take your time and wait for someone with the same setup to let you test drive. Maybe you can sniff around in the Subaru forum? That is a better way to compare and find out for yourself.

Unless you are willing to take a gamble to just fit the rotor and pads and see for yourself, and write off the $700 if the change is not up to your expectation, there is no good way to confirm by just asking for comments.

If the workshop is any good they will have someone with the above mods who will let you test drive the above setup to assure and convince you.

But what actually are you looking for? If you just ask for comments it looks like you have no objective / no actual problem to resolve. If your brakes fade to nothing after a fast drive down the NSH near the Ipoh tunnel section, then yes there is a reason to change.

Since you want to keep your caliper, you can take a lower risk by changing to the pad first, see if you like the result, then change the rotor if you want more improvement.

But if you are just a rice boy and fit things without any idea what they do then go ahead it's your money.

need to change my rotor and brake pad .. rotor think worn out and brake pad left maybe 20% to 30% ..

Subaru forum being down for like almost 2 weeks ...

need to change my rotor and brake pad .. rotor think worn out and brake pad left maybe 20% to 30% ..

Subaru forum being down for like almost 2 weeks ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK that forum is a useful source but since no access then boh pian.

Some other bros have shared their experience regarding the same car so they are a good starting point for info. However, the best way to find out if you like something is to drive someone's car with the same mod. Maybe you can PM them to try their car?

↡ Advertisement