Car Skidded and hit curb, Steering rod bent

Jayms

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Hi guys,

My car (Fiat Grande Punto) skidded when negotiating a bend on a rainy day. My left front rim hit the curb at the face with big impact casuing it to be slightly out of shape (wobble when rotating). I had the rim replaced. The steering rod was bent and I got a mechanic to straigten it back.

However when I drive above 70Km/h, I could feel vibration coming from the front and could hear wierd low vibrating noise.

Anyone knows what is wrong with my car? I am suspecting bent axle or damaged ball joint. Need some help to recommend a good workshop for inspection and repair. Roughly how much will such repair cost?

Thanks!

Edited by Jayms
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Bro..

When your problem is solve... please... please go and change to a set of good tyres, this time only hit kerb, next time maybe not so lucky liao.. [sweatdrop]

cheers.

Simple things first. Bring your car to a good wheel alignment or suspension place and get them to check the alignement. Its more than likely a control arm may be bent but still not visible to the naked eye.

I just realised you mentioned that you got the rod bent back. Even if its perfectly straight did you get a steering and wheel alignment done after??? You definately need to bring it to a wheel alignment or suspension place and get them to look at it.

I've experienced the same situation with you bro, skidded and my rim hit the curb. Rim is slightly deformed and the whole left wheel shifted backwards. Now car still awaiting repair and heard from the mech that besides bending back the rod/left wheel joint etc, also gotta check steering,alignment,suspension and under carriage too. Sian 1/2

Start with wheel alignment, it's cheaper.. then proceed with the rest of the checks..

and pray tell, what tyres are you on and at what speed?

Neutral Newbie

Where can I find a good wheel alignment and suspension workshop? Any recommendation?

I am on T1R and cornering at 70km/h. The bend is quite sharp though.

(edited)
Bro..

When your problem is solve... please... please go and change to a set of good tyres, this time only hit kerb, next time maybe not so lucky liao.. [sweatdrop]

cheers.

Sometimes, it's not entire the tyres' fault. It could be the speed too (cornering at 70km/h and the bend was quite sharp too, as thread starter implied).

When I was using the Yokohama Aspec A300, many claimed that this tyre is unsuitable for wet roads, but it served me well and I did not experience any skids even though I have driven on tricky bends & highway speeds many at times during wet weather.

Edited by Vit4wd

Due to the accident, now u have sound can be many possible reasons, can even be the wheel bearing pit-cha due to collision.

Neutral Newbie
Bro..

cheers.

Bro, I couldn't agree with you more.. i plead all fellow MCF-ers to invest money on really important stuffs that will enhance handling and safety instead of spending $$ on decals or bodykits etc.. it's important!

Where can I find a good wheel alignment and suspension workshop? Any recommendation?

I am on T1R and cornering at 70km/h. The bend is quite sharp though.

They're not the cheapest but South East Tyres IMHO are one of the better ones. There's one at Marine Parade and another at Ubi.

↡ Advertisement