What if my new car battery has a higher Amp?

Yuan

Recently, I change my stock battery to a maintenance free battery.

I heard that my ride (Lancer 2006)'s battery needs 55-60 Amp but I install a MF battery of 70 Amp.

It was a direct fit in and replacement of my old stock battery.

Are batteries are higher Amp bigger in size?

Any side effect to the car if I use a battery of higher Amp?

I notice my car manual states the battery should be "55D23l" but my 70 Amp battery is "55D26L". What does this mean?

Hope bros can enlighten me.

Cheers and thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Do you recommend I replace back to stock specification?

What will happen if car cannot charge fully?

overworked alternator and longer to charge, short trips < 15km cant even charge enuff, if < 10km trip cant even charge wat was used to crank

unless u running heavy ice, just take stock ah and + 5 to it, more than enuff

For city driving it's good to have a bigger capacity battery. The extra amp/hr capacity will act as reserve. Most of the new battery are dry charge ( 100% Charge) once installed it can be used instantly.

There is no side effect at all , even yr alternator will not be subjected to working overtime. Yr battery shop mech and yourself have make a right and good choice.

[thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

A bigger battery is simply a bigger storage place, it doesn't make your engine use more power or make the alternator work harder... it's like a bigger fuel tank- it doesn't make yr car more powerful, just gives more reserve for longer trips before refuelling. If yr alternator fails to charge, it will hv more reserve to continue running the car for a longer distance.

• Praise 1

I heard that my ride (Lancer 2006)'s battery needs 55-60 Amp but I install a MF battery of 70 Amp.

I notice my car manual states the battery should be "55D23l" but my 70 Amp battery is "55D26L". What does this mean?

Cheers and thanks!

the battery primary use is for cranking the engine to start.... after that, the power supply to all ur electrical stuffs are from the alternator.... not much use for an ultra big capacity battery... if u r not running enuff supply, upsize ur alternator, not battery

For city driving it's good to have a bigger capacity battery. The extra amp/hr capacity will act as reserve. Most of the new battery are dry charge ( 100% Charge) once installed it can be used instantly.

There is no side effect at all , even yr alternator will not be subjected to working overtime. Yr battery shop mech and yourself have make a right and good choice.

[thumbsup]

Thanks bro for your advice. I felt uneasy about it after referring back to the car manual and changed back to stock specifications.

A bigger battery is simply a bigger storage place, it doesn't make your engine use more power or make the alternator work harder... it's like a bigger fuel tank- it doesn't make yr car more powerful, just gives more reserve for longer trips before refuelling. If yr alternator fails to charge, it will hv more reserve to continue running the car for a longer distance.

The physical size was much bigger than stock ones. Somehow it managed to fit into the bracket but super cramped.....Alongside the car's side walls. My mechanic say if kena impact there the battery may crack and leak battery water..... [sweatdrop]

So long it is within the capacity of the alternator, I think it is fine. It is more of the physical size of the battery and whether it fits in or not..... [nod]

on the whole, it doesn't matter...

Agreed with you. So long it does not exceed the maximum capacity of the alternator [bounce2]

Cheers and thanks!

the battery primary use is for cranking the engine to start.... after that, the power supply to all ur electrical stuffs are from the alternator.... not much use for an ultra big capacity battery... if u r not running enuff supply, upsize ur alternator, not battery

Haha! Bro, I think I will keep the alternator stock.... Thanks for your advice. [:)]

Believe you meant Amperehour(AH) and not Amp.

You might like to search the achives about battery & type and installation...written something answering your questions.