MIW rewards Spy Satellite accuser

Apollo

The Meritorious Service Medal was awarded to Sonthi in recognition of his contributions toward enhancing the strong ties between the Singapore and Thai armies, the defence ministry said in a statement.

"The two armies engage in a wide spectrum of activities," ranging from bilateral exercises to regular professional exchanges and attendance at each other's courses, boosting the comradeship between the officers and men, it added.

Sonthi led a coup on September 19, 2006, overthrowing the elected government of then prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Sonthi had previously angered Singapore when he suggested that the city-state could be using telecom satellites Thailand had sold Singapore to eavesdrop on private conversations of the Thai military.

He ordered military officials to give up their cell phones in favor of walkie-talkies to prevent any espionage, and suggested the Thai government should take back the four satellites.

Singapore had strongly denied the eavesdropping allegations.

Sonthi, who was scheduled to call on Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong later Friday, has met with Teo and other military officials during his visit which started on Thursday.

-----------------

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/08/17/hea...es_30045460.php

recollection

``Singapore is a very small country, but it is so rich that it can buy 140 billion baht of our national assets,'' said Sondhi Boonyarataklin, who led a September coup that toppled the government of Thaksin Shinawatra. ``I am thinking about whether we can take those assets back.''

``I don't know how to get those assets back, but that's my wish,'' Sondhi said. ``As a soldier, I need to recoup those assets.''

Sansern Kaewkamnerd, spokesman for the National Security Council, the self-appointed group of junta leaders that oversees security in Thailand, confirmed Sondhi's comments.

``It has been his wish to bring back any assets that are key to national security,'' he said. ``Satellites are a very important asset.''

↡ Advertisement

I taught our gahmen should sue him for slandering, according to Woody.

Instead, they chosed to honor him.

In other words, the Thai general is speaking the truth lah.

just imagine if sonthi does not win the next elections (i assume he i running) and his opponents (PPP) wins, then they will remember this incident and we cld be in for round 2 of "cold" treatment...

no nid imagine lah... we already lost multi millions when they siezed iTv. under this feller's hand one somemore.

anyway, thailand junta got more senior generals then this feller lah. like canto say, he got not enuff pok to receive a medal. he only outspoken and insubordinate to his minister who wanted to place him on court martial. tat's why he lead the junta in defiance.

where he got promote ties.... simple Qn. was he there to turn back protestors at the thai airbase?

you salah.. he on pension scheme.

pple on pension scheme when u reach certain age, can allow to continue to work subject to annual renewal but most dept heads will normally ask them to go/ let them go after a few years. to make way for promotion.

but once u go, Div 1 and above, benefit is 1/2 the pay you took in last appointment.

so imagine if ur monthly pay is $20K... , close 1 eye also no nid work, still got $10K spending $$

Oh yeah... Sorry...

So when is he taking his pension? Or it'll be auto converted to the corresponding "kim chua" value to be burnt when he kicks the bucket?

Pension is basically social welfare by another name. No work still get paid and some more insane amounts. If that's not welfare then what is ?

Old man don't believe in welfare for other except for himself and his herd*. [thumbsdown]

*Herd is the acronym for Highly Educated Running Dogs.

Edited by Darth_mel
↡ Advertisement