Benefit to those who travel NORTH but always wanted to know

Meecar

Turbocharged
48 minutes ago, Wildfaye29 said:

Since can drive to JB now, which is the best VFM data sim and where to buy?

For whatsapp and waze use.

TIA!

TPG free 1GB every month, if just for a day trip should be enough unless u watch videos. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

16 hours ago, Wildfaye29 said:

Since can drive to JB now, which is the best VFM data sim and where to buy?

For whatsapp and waze use.

TIA!

I use starhub 3 days overseas data for $5 1gb

• Praise 1

VIVIFI is $5 for 1 GB but for only 7 days... I going 2 weeks... so not sure if $10 is expensive or not compared to buying a Digi SIM card? I don't need so much data... only for Google Maps + surfing the internet for places to eat... that's about all... mostly it's for Google Maps... I sometimes don't bother with data and use offline maps but when you're out and your plan goes awry, you need internet to change plans... 

Anyone got advice?

24 minutes ago, Extremme said:

What is the ideal map to use? I think WAZE needs data. Only Google map has the offline map function?

If you don't care about being stuck in jam, just download map.me.

2 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

If you don't care about being stuck in jam, just download map.me.

Maps.me I think is a good backup then. 

Is it worth to get AA membership as I plan to drive up often beyond JB

My car has no spare tyres etc. I think its quite common these days so trying to prepare ahead.

Turbocharged
3 minutes ago, Extremme said:

Maps.me I think is a good backup then. 

Is it worth to get AA membership as I plan to drive up often beyond JB

My car has no spare tyres etc. I think its quite common these days so trying to prepare ahead.

AAM was almost bankrupt a few years ago. Not sure what happened since. 

their assistance now is chargeable. Used to be free. And claim limited to rm50/year? lol

https://www.aas.com.sg/worldwide-reciprocal-service/destination-listing.html#malaysia

MALAYSIA

Head Office
Automobile Association of Malaysia (AAM)

AAM BREAKDOWN HOTLINE

If you are using a Malaysia registered number, you can call the toll free number 1300 226 226. Otherwise, please call AAMCarfix directly at +60 379 890 351.

Alternatively, you may call Singapore at +65 6748 9911 for assistance. 

AAM BREAKDOWN SERVICE

Breakdown service covers only vehicles with system failures and does not cover accident vehicles. Members must present their AA Singapore membership e-card to the AAM crew or its contractors for verification. 

Service is chargeable and payment must be made on-the-spot in order for service to be rendered. 

AA Singapore members enjoy a one-time maximum reimbursement of RM50 per claim, per year if they utilize the services of AAM-appointed workshops, mechanics and towing contractor. The original receipt must be submitted to AA Singapore within two (2) weeks of the incident. 

If towing back to Singapore is required, members have to liase directly with the AAM tow operator to bring the vehicle to Singapore where AA Singapore tow operators will take over the towing.

Members are required to pay all necessary charges required by the Malaysian Customs. These charges are not claimable from AA Singapore.

Terms and conditions

Breakdown service only covers vehicle breakdown due to mechanical problems.

AAS membership e-card must be presented at the breakdown site.

Towing of vehicle involved in an accident is payable.

Vehicle recovery service rendered by AAM will chargeable 

AAS members will have to use AAM appointed workshops and towing contractors for breakdown service to be entitled to the reimbursement of RM50/year by AAS. The original receipt must be submitted within two weeks for the claim.

Service is payable and payment must be made on the spot.

If your vehicle breaks down along the North-South Highway, you are advised to call Toll Plus expressway operator at 1800 88 0000 or 03 780 16603. They will tow your vehicle free-of-charge to the nearest exit or resting area. From there, you may contact AAM for roadside assistance service. 

Please note that Toll Plus expressway operator does not render roadside assistance services to vehicles involved in accidents. You are to contact your motor insurance insurer. 

Turbocharged
12 minutes ago, Extremme said:

Man...thks for sharing....

I thought can just get AA for a peace of mind sigh

I saw some workshop providing such service though...not sure if trust worthy

what exactly is your concern? 

tyre puncture when u don't have a spare? if very long trip, better BYO spare. If your car has TPMS, it will help give early warning. Or is your tyre size quite rare outside of big cities?

Just now, Shibadog said:

what exactly is your concern? 

tyre puncture when u don't have a spare? if very long trip, better BYO spare. If your car has TPMS, it will help give early warning. Or is your tyre size quite rare outside of big cities?

Just want to prepare for certain situation in advance

Travelling with kids so the  boot will be full load. I did prepare those pumping appliances just in case too.

Anticipate in case of break down etc...

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Extremme said:

Travelling with kids so the  boot will be full load. I did prepare those pumping appliances just in case too.

understood your concerns, esp when travelling with kids.

good to prep and do research prior to trip but sometimes gotta accept it's part of the adventure and learning opportunity for the kids too.

i guess u already asked your workshop to do a thorough check of the car before your trip? This should alleviate some concerns.

Perhaps search online for good workshops that are along your trip route and save the numbers in your hp. They should be able to help arrange a tow if needed.

on NSHW, there's PLUS emergency service which can help in certain situations, otherwise they will just tow to highway exit and you arrange the next leg, but i think they can usually recommend a lobang (at your cost)

just to share a personal story - i was in Chiang Mai with my car and about to leave the next day for a 700km drive in the mountains (Mae Hong Son loop) when i noticed one tyre was losing pressure relative to the other 3. Went to a big tyre shop and asked them to check. Found the TPMS valve was leaking as it was loose. So they simply tightened it and i was good to go. I do carry a full size spare, tyre plugs, air compressor but i'm glad this happened in a big city not in some ulu area. 

• Praise 2

On 5/23/2022 at 11:07 AM, Extremme said:

I also going on long road trip to Malaysia next week and have 2 little kids too... my mechanic just checked my car also... I think on highway not too bad cos every 250 m got emergency phone, can call the various emergency services via the phone... and basically I think most towns would have a mechanic, and if they can't solve your problem, they would be able to arrange for a mechanic in a larger town to come take your car to the larger town... it's more the ulu villages or off-the-beaten-path that is a concern... if you're not going there then it's ok...

Just share one of my experiences in the past... driving up in convoy of 2 cars to Fraser's Hill... I was the lead car, and my friend was a rather slow driver. We entered the Gap (one way traffic alternate hours) and after a short while, my friend's car was not in sight... my mum who was in the front seat commented that she hadn't seen the car through the wing mirror for a while. So my dad and I had to run downhill (thankfully) for about 2 km to reach my friend's car. Turned out he had run his tires to close to being bald and then had hit the kerb along the way and the tire burst! Good thing his car carried a full-sized spare and we had to rush to change the tire, cos the traffic direction would change soon, and we would be holding up everyone... that was one heck of an experience... after we changed the tire, we also realied the spare was an old cast-off... in the end, my dad and I had to walked back uphill to our own car instead of loading in the fully loaded friend's car for fear that the spare tire would also give up... we then went to the main town in Fraser's Hill (can't remember its name now) and managed to get a full set of new tires for my friend... the town up there is like really small and ulu, and this took place many years ago, at least 15 years... so I guess for tires, not much of a worry...

Another occasion, even further back in time, my dad's car (secondhand) had a radiator leak which was discovered while we took at break at a layby... managed to limp to the nearest tiny town and they were able to fix the leak temporarily till we got to a bigger town to replace the radiator.

Malaysian mechanics quite 'zai' one lar... so you should be ok...

• Praise 2

Anyone knows next Tue got any special event in Malaysia or not? Thinking of going on a day trip cos it's school holidays in Singapore... but I also found out online that Malaysia school holiday in Johor... what's the situation like at the Second Link? Must cross before 6 am so that don't need to queue or not? Anyone can help? Thank you!

4 hours ago, teomingern said:

Anyone knows next Tue got any special event in Malaysia or not? Thinking of going on a day trip cos it's school holidays in Singapore... but I also found out online that Malaysia school holiday in Johor... what's the situation like at the Second Link? Must cross before 6 am so that don't need to queue or not? Anyone can help? Thank you!

Coming Tuesday iirc is just a normal wkday in my, barring e 1 wk sch holiday.

Use monday as a gauge on when e jams start.

Tuas side best to chk google map on e jams b4 u start ur drive up.

Edited by zipping
  • Praise 1

9 hours ago, teomingern said:

Tue will be ok, most are entering thur to today or tomorrow. go before 7 or 6.30 will be fine. 

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, zipping said:

Coming Tuesday iirc is just a normal wkday in my, barring e 1 wk sch holiday.

Use monday as a gauge on when e jams start.

Tuas side best to chk google map on e jams b4 u start ur drive up.

Thank you! Very helpful! I stay West side so always enter via Tuas...

Edited by teomingern
↡ Advertisement