Benefit to those who travel NORTH but always wanted to know

Meecar

Neutral Newbie

I knew lots of friends who travel often to places like china or thai on business purpose putting in efforts to learn the basic of those country regional language. Never heard them complaining saying those country are stupid for not putting up signs in english to make things easy for tourist. Afterall, dun think any country is that stupid to be more concern about making things easier for others rather than their own people.

As a true blue sillyporean, one should be able to converse in simple malay since this region is originally know as the 'malay' archipelago. The fore fathers of malaysia and singapore is none others than the malays. The early leaders which lead us to success is malay. Our national anthem is in malay, military drill command is in malay, most of the original streets name we roam today is in malay include the island name around us. Why nobody is complaining about that? Cos that is our tiny singapore heritage. Lets be realistic, if a primary school dropout able to realise this, why can't the supposedly highly educated individual do? [;)]

↡ Advertisement

unfortunately, i'm not that true and blue singaporean... but i don't really have much chances in knowing malays.. so my malay is private limited to the drills and streets names so its really kachang of what is really needed to talk to people around... i believe that malaysian are also taught english as a subject, now use across a few subjects.. most chinese in malaysia could understand malay but still quite a portion that doesn't.. those attended english schools know nuts about it... but it seems that generally speaking, most can't even hold up a simple road directional conversation.. [:(]

Most chinese in malaysia could understand malay but still quite a portion that doesn't.. those attended english schools know nuts about it... but it seems that generally speaking, most can't even hold up a simple road directional conversation..

4 ur info, most of malaysian can talk Malay quite well irregardless of who u r. In There is no more English Schools in Malaysia anymore unless u r talking about international school. Previously English Schools has become Malay School wif English name.

My ex company, my frenchie colleague rode up to Ipoh for holiday...he came back and told us that he saw the longest road in M'sia....I ask him what road was that...he told me its call "Ikut Kiri" and we roar out laughing....then we told him...its Malay for Keep Left.

Maybe they should include new sign....see the sign "Polis" means standby RM 50.00 for "toll" fee.... tongue.giftongue.gif

i think they should change the words to english.. how on earth will the tourist driving know WTF they implying on the signboards... if not malay/english signboard...

tak boleh la... Bahasa Melayu is their offical/national language. Even the Chi, Indians and other races must noe how to speak basic Malay language in order to survive.

There was once i went to this Petronas station wanted to pump. Petronas super troublesome, alwaes need to ask the fella inside to activate e pump.

But the dam cashier couldnt understand basic English. [shakehead]

i think they should change the words to english.. how on earth will the tourist driving know WTF they implying on the signboards... if not malay/english signboard...

Learn malay lah. Very easy language. It's always good to know another language. You can already read it, only need to know the meaning. Unlike chinese, thai, tamil, japanese, know how to speak also very difficult to learn to read.

Easy? I dun tink so. Only to ppl who are gifted. Try asking a Indian, Arab, Malay etc to learn Chi, i believe they will have a hard time too.

If start from young with ppl ard u speaking Malay den it's easier to pick up.

Wad i feel is that, if one doesnt understand or speaks Malay, he or she will have difficulties moving ard in MY.

That Petronas incident really made me look like a fool.

Maybe next time someone speaks u to in Malay, just tell that fella that "saya tak cakap bahasa Melayu. Saya orang Spore, cakap bahasa Inggrish." [laugh]

↡ Advertisement