S'porean slashed, carjacked at JB petrol station

Gadgeter

Aug 24, 2007

S'porean slashed, carjacked at JB petrol station

Chopper attack took place next to police station; captured on closed-circuit TV

By Khushwant Singh

THE petrol station's closed-circuit TV camera showed it all - how a regular Singaporean visitor to Johor Baru was viciously attacked by a chopper-wielding robber.

For employment agent Wong Chin Chye, Wednesday should have been a typical trip across the Causeway with his wife.

They had driven across at about 3am in his eight- month-old Honda Civic.

After a car wash elsewhere, they stopped at the Mobil petrol station next to the police station, just before the immigration checkpoint, to top up the petrol tank.

There, Mr Wong, 42, was pounced upon by two men who then made off with his car.

The dramatic scene - captured on CCTV - happened as he was walking back to his car after making payment.

His wife, Madam June See, 43, had gone to a shop across a side road to buy some magazines and tidbits. She was about 40m away and had her back towards him.

This was what the CCTV showed:

As Mr Wong was about to get into his Honda, a black car pulled up.

Out jumped a man with a chopper and another with a baseball bat. The chopper-wielding robber aimed his weapon at Mr Wong's head.

He dodged the first blow but the second came immediately and Mr Wong threw up his hands to deflect it.

The blade sliced into the tendons of eight fingers and the third and fourth blows struck him on the neck, causing deep gashes.

Covered in blood, Mr Wong staggered backwards. The two robbers then jumped into his Honda and sped away, with the black car following.

Only then, cued by the roar of engines, did Madam See turn around - to see her husband on the ground, looking at his bleeding hands.

She and seven other people ran to help him. They used some cloth to stem the bleeding on his neck and fingers.

The station's 34-year-old counter attendant, who wanted to be known only as Miss Amy, told Malaysian reporters she and other customers at the station at that time were too shocked to react.

'The attack took less than 30 seconds,' she said.

An ambulance took Mr Wong to a JB hospital for preliminary treatment. He then made a report at the police station next to the same Mobil station where he was attacked, before he was taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

There, he underwent six hours of surgery. He received more than 20 stitches for the wounds on his neck alone.

Madam See said that her husband would cross the Causeway at least once a week for work and she would sometimes accompany him for a late night supper.

They knew of the crime situation in JB and purposely filled up at the petrol kiosk next to the police station.

She said: 'We never realised that the robbers had become so daring.

'Because of my husband's work, he still has to come over so we must be more careful and hopefully the police can control the criminals.'

Malaysian police called Madam See at 3.30pm yesterday to inform her that they had arrested two suspects.

She said: 'As the CCTV images are not very clear, they needed us to identify the suspects.

'I hope that they are the guilty ones for they should pay for this horrible crime.'

Actually, they dun just aim sillyporean..... Locals too. Just that our news will only report if a fellow silyporean is the victim.

Neutral Newbie

Not true. My ex-colleague's friend in Malaysia got her brand new proton wira stolen in broad daylight. What else is not possible over there? That's one of my main reason I don't want drive or going to Malaysia. Even if you walk there, may have high chance to get robbed also. [shakehead]

the robbers are crazy!!!!!!!!!!! furious.gif

just to steal car why have to use chopper, this people must be high on drugs lah. somemore they're disregard for the law is unbeliveable, don't know whether it is plain stupidity or bravery or craziness to commite such a violent crime next to police station, but i guess they also know how incompetent ther own policenmen are.

Singapore should set up police station in malaysia to protect singaporeans who go in man.

yep...i am sure of that.

but i also think malaysians driving newer cars probably will only pump petrol at the suburbs whereby the robbers are not so rampant.

singaporeans, because must pump at JB stations closer to singapore, are cannon fodder for these robbers.

Neutral Newbie

"They had driven across at about 3am in his eight- month-old Honda Civic."

What the hell they are doing at 3am in JB?

that's true... unless you are driving a brand new proton. then you will be safe..

You sure? My relative's neighbour had their brand-new-Malaysian-plate Proton driven right off their front porch. My relatives have since put up CCTV and alarm system to their gate and porch.

Not true. My ex-colleague's friend in Malaysia got her brand new proton wira stolen in broad daylight. What else is not possible over there? That's one of my main reason I don't want drive or going to Malaysia. Even if you walk there, may have high chance to get robbed also. shakehead.gif

the robber must be desperate. Or mine was too 'outstanding' that they didn't want to rob. laugh.gif

Well, at the end of the day. Regardless where we go, we should not take it for granted that it will be safe.