How much your parents really loves you!

Nus24

Neutral Newbie

Khushwant Singh

Fri, Aug 31, 2007

The Straits Times

REMITTANCES made to banks are credited instantly to beneficiaries, and the only way to freeze the account the money has been sent to is with a police or court order.

While this is standard banking practice, a couple, victims of conmen who led them to believe their 30-year-old son had been kidnapped, found this out too late.

They had remitted $52,000 of their life savings to Malaysian Maybank accounts specified by the fraudsters, and by the time they realised they had been conned and called the police, an hour had ticked by.

The police said they would issue an order to freeze the flow of funds, but the Lims still lost their money.

This is because, by the time the bank was alerted, the money had been transferred and withdrawn.

The couple, who wanted to be known only as Mr and Mrs Lim, spent Friday afternoon running to several Maybank branches selected by the conmen to deposit 'ransom money' they were told would get them back their son, Mr T.C. Lim.

The conmen convinced the couple their son had been kidnapped for standing guarantor on a loan that went bad.

Fearing for his safety, the couple obeyed instructions not to hang up their cellphones or call the police.

All this time, their son, a real estate manager, was in his office, safe and sound.

Mrs Lim only found this out when she called his girlfriend, who works in the same office, at 6pm.

Shortly after, the police were called in and the family was told the police would contact Maybank to freeze the receiving accounts.

Maybank spokesman Priscilla Loke said the police called its 24-hour call centre after 1am the next day, by which time the money had been withdrawn.

The gang of conmen struck elsewhere, using the same method - but not with the same success.

Retiree S.M. Heng, 58, who remitted $2,000 in 'ransom' for his 'kidnapped' son on Monday, got his money back.

Asked why the transfer could be foiled in Mr Heng's case, Ms Loke said the bank would not comment on specific cases.

But she added: 'If the bank is notified only after the funds have been withdrawn, obviously there isn't much that can be done.'

Mr Heng remitted the money to Maybank accounts in Malaysia as he had been told, but disobeyed the conmen's order not to call anyone else.

Using a public phone, he called his wife, who called his daughter, who in turn called her brother and found him safe.

His daughter then called Maybank swiftly and was on time to stop the remittance from reaching the account named by the conmen.

On Ms Loke's statement that banks would freeze a receiving account on police instructions, other banks -United Overseas Bank and OCBC Bank - confirmed this as standard practice.

Ms Phang Lah Hwa, OCBC Bank's head of distribution, said banks did not act unilaterally on one's customer instructions to debit another customer's account.

'However, under police orders, the bank may hold the account of the recipient pending investigation,' she said.

The police declined to comment on an ongoing investigation.

↡ Advertisement

This one for U....Bro. [laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

Lyrics for: Never Ending Story

Turn around

Look at what you see....

In her face

The mirror of your dreams....

Make believe I'm everywhere

Given in the light

Written on the pages

Is the answer to a never ending story...

Ah....

Reach the stars

Fly a fantasy....

Dream a dream

And what you see will be....

Rhymes that keep their secrets

Will unfold behind the clouds

And there upon a rainbow

Is the answer to a never ending story...

Ah....

Story...

Ah....

Show no fear

For she may fade away...

In your hand

The birth of a new day...

Rhymes that keep their secrets

Will unfold behind the clouds

And there upon a rainbow

Is the answer to a never ending story

Ah....

Never ending story...

Ah....

Never ending story...

Ah....

Never ending story...

Ah....

(fade)

Neutral Newbie

My point exactly....the parents could likelyy get 'scolded' for being naive and stupid....but all they did was out of TRUE love for their kid.

At least the son knows how much his mother loves him after this event.

Now....for discussion sake....could the police get the telco to trace the origin of the phone call? The report was saying that the 'kidnapper' knows where she is and when she is crossing the road.

Meaning to say the kidnappers is also calling from a HP? Easy to track down right? I am sure this case will be cracked very quickly.

Not forgetting that the bank account in malaysia SURELY someone will be there to withdraw the money right, and that someone surely has a name right?

I remember during the WTO one year ago...the police claimed that they tracked down the two sexy protester location via their HP!

Your post title should be : "How stupid are your parents in not knowing the type of children that have brought up"! [sly]

Kenna con , don't blame the society or con man,... just blame your own brain! (rhytme doesn't it) [laugh][laugh]

==================================================

Wah, so long ah!.....'that's my tail you stupid bitxh!

Neutral Newbie

Well, my dear, it not as easy as you think [sly]

1. HP can be pre-paid, in Malaysia, some of the card are not registered, even it is registered can be a foreign Indonesia maid or worker which is totally innocent. They just paid the poor fellow some money and use his/her name

2. Bank transfer can be a foreign account in any of the world, they did not mention the account is in Maybank, they just use Maybank to transfer money, the money is tt to that account.

Hope it you get it! [thumbsup]

Do you know how much I love you too? [kiss]

remit $2mil into my accounts and i will believe you [laugh][laugh]

will even let her marry you, ok? but no guarantee [laugh][laugh]