NSF with rifle, ammo in Orchard Road

Osiris

Nabbed in Orchard Rd after hunt: NSF with rifle, ammo

By David Boey & Jermyn Chow

A 20-HOUR manhunt for a full-time National Serviceman, who went missing on Sunday night with his rifle and several rounds of live ammunition, ended in the heart of Orchard Road last night.

The 20-year-old NSF, Corporal Dave Teo Ming, had the weapon - believed to be an SAR-21 assault rifle - and the bullets on him when he was nabbed on the third floor of Orchard Cineleisure mall.

He was discovered missing from the Mandai Hill Camp at 11.59pm on Sunday night, sparking off an islandwide manhunt that involved more than 200 police officers.

Last night, witnesses to Cpl Teo's arrest at the mall, which is popular among the young for its mix of fast food, fashion, music and sports shops, said everything happened quickly and without fuss - so much so that even the security guards there were unaware of the drama that unfolded.

Ms Aisah Abdullah, a 46-year-old cashier at World of Sports on the mall's second floor said: 'At about 8pm, I saw men running up the escalator to the third floor. Soon, more police arrived and they cordoned off the whole floor for about an hour.'

Other witnesses said they saw a brief stir.

Police did not say how Cpl Teo managed to conceal the weapon, which is about 80 cm long, slightly shorter than an umbrella.

The Ministry of Defence and police said Cpl Teo was trained as an infantryman wth the 1st Battalion, Singapore Infantry Regiment.

His full-time NS stint was to have ended next month.

Cpl Teo had been assigned the rifle and ammunition for guard duty at the camp.

The Singapore Armed Forces, strict about accounting for all firearms and ammunition, requires soldiers to sign for weapons and to count every bullet that is issued.

Even empty bullet casings are recovered from the rifle range after practice firings.

In a similar case in 1986, a soldier who stole an American-made AR-15 rifle and 30 bullets two years earlier was charged in the High Court and given five years in jail and 12 strokes of the cane.

Cpl Teo will be investigated under the Arms Offences Act, which carries a jail penalty of between five and 10 years, and caning for unlawful possession of arms or ammunition.

[email protected] http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_154490.html

ROD or ORD soon. what's got into him? unimpressed.gif

Edited by Osiris
↡ Advertisement

maybe the supervisor everydae F him until he buay tahan liao so went bersek.

Shld be a case of e officer went crazy. If not who so stupid wan to ORD already go do this kind of ting and get charged? [hur]

Bro, one more month. assuming he have some leave to clear less than that. supervisor f me i oso lun.

but it may be as you say, everyone got different breaking point.

i believe the blow on his ex-gf who broke up with him 5 mths ago, then she turned to a les prompted him to go bersek + some other external pressure

post-15-1188873968_thumb.jpg

Everytime i was doin guard commander duty in a infantry regiment,im always so scared to pass rounds & rifle to the guards whom some look bit loony to me....

Dun understand y need to give live rounds 4 patrolling around army camps..so high risk meh..

That's why must learn not to be guai lan to your prowlers.

Who noes, one of them might get mental and unleash one round at your head while you are feeling groggy at the desk. [sweatdrop]

There is this saying that,

Whenever a man is troubled, it is because of 2 reasons:

1. Money

2. Woman

Maybe he kena troubled by both that made him go bersek!