Patched up tyre safe?

Beanoyip

Hi guys,

One of my tyre had a 2" screw stucked in it yesterday. The guy at the shop managed to patch it back by stuffing some rubber piece into the puncture. (Not sure whats the term used)

My question is, is this process safe for the tyre. My tyres are only 1 year old, quite a waste to change just 1 tyre.

Thanks alot!

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Very safe, dont worry. Thats the technique they use this days, I've experienced a few times. Continued using the tyres for a good couple of years.

If its the internal patch (meaning they will remove the tyre from the rim and patch the puncture from inside using a rubber patch) then its the proper and recommend way.

The insert that is used to patch puncture is not recommended but I use it as a stop gap measure when patching is not possible (like when you are on the road and nobody to help you...or the shop does not do patching)

The reason for this is because insert might be blown out from the hole resulting your tyres losing air very fast (as when plugging, they usually enlarge the hole slightly to allow the plug to go in). Imagine this happening on a high speed (like 80-90kmh) drive.

safe lah.Worry then go pump station and pump again.wait a while then pump again,see if there is a drop in air pressure.If not quite safe.as long as the sidewall not punctured,you still can use it.if not better don't try your luck.

Like what another poster said, it's ok if it's an internal patch but nevertheless do watch the pressure closely.

If unsure of the patching method done, have a reputable tyre shop to verify.

Depending on what is your mileage, changing tyres once a year is not unacceptable. I do change my tyres once a year after clocking a mileage of 40k as I'm not irresponsible drivers who think they can use their tyres safely till they are bald.

Hi guys,

One of my tyre had a 2" screw stucked in it yesterday. The guy at the shop managed to patch it back by stuffing some rubber piece into the puncture. (Not sure whats the term used)

My question is, is this process safe for the tyre. My tyres are only 1 year old, quite a waste to change just 1 tyre.

Thanks alot!

should be no problem.

my 1 month old tyres kena puncture by screw also.

tyre workshop say its ok to patch.

anyways is that a toyota soarer in your avatar ? hehe twin turbo or the v8 model ?

huhuhu! ive always wanted that car in australia. if u've got the 5 speed manual twin turbo model....that will be uber rare.. and bloody fast 2.

anyways ive seen one in SG @ parkway parade not sure if its the v8 model or twin turbo one.

Neutral Newbie

A good tyre shop will be able to assess how bad the damage and whether patching would suffice.

If it's ok to patch, the method used is to remove the ryre from the rim, locate the puncture from the inside, that surface cleaned and then sand down a tad, patch applied with industrial glue, dried with heat gun [thumbsup] Tyre is as good as without puncture.

I've driven patched tyres to NSH and on the track [sly]

A good tyre shop will be able to access the damage.

Rule of thumb is, replace the tyre if puncture is at sidewall.

Always opt for the more expensive "internal koh yok" patching, its more reliable than the rubber slug.

Hi Carkis,

Just bought a new car this year, already kena 2 solid SCREWS Puncture.

Noted a Coincidence for Me, Puncture always happens within 1 or so Kilometer radius of Tyre Shops.

How come got so many Loose Screws on the Roads.

How About Your Puncture Experiences ?

Cheers,

Lawrento

Most shops uses the worm plug method which is the quick and easy method as no need to take out the tyre from the rim. The only shop I know uses internal patching is south east tyres at kaki bukit...kudos to them! [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement