Radiator Fan Running When Engine Off

Ommph

Oh....now i learn 1 more thing abt my car......thumbsup.gif

Thanks to all the bro (and sis) here!

Kam siah kam siah~~~!

Oh..by the way...could it be also due to the fact dat i turn on only the electric before dat? coz my CD was stucked in the stupid player so i turned on the electric only, trying to salvage the CD out. The duration is abt 3 mins...then i turned everything off.

↡ Advertisement

either the convection flow or water pump must be circulating something. These cars are designed to run in both tropical and temperate climates, so there must be some benefit of the fan running. Maybe we only notice the fan, unaware of what else is still running inside.

the fan will be on, even if you lock the car and walk away. Just like the boot handle. Did you realise that whenever you open the boot, it's not a mechanical switch. It's an electrical switch that senses the touch and activates a servo to open the latch. These cars are very electronic nowadays, even the throttle is a fake one with a sensor. There is no direct connection from the pedal to the engine.

I know abt the boot but i din know dat abt the throttle....wow~~!thumbsup.gif

Think i must really go for the meet-up to gain more knowledge on the ride.....provided i got no class....unsure.gif

Most of the folks here are right. THe fan will keep spinning for about 1min after ur engine is off. it is normal.

Just don't put your hand in!! n don't put ur face too near the engine.

jut my newbie 2cents.

So it is normal that the fan continues to run after i off everythin n took the keys out la???!!!

I tot my car haunted or the carpark haunted loh!!!!!!!!!!!! wah biang.....nearly die from scares....dead.gif

Then wat caused it to stop?? since stepping on the accelator is not the one.....confused.gifconfused.gif..A5 got turbo-timer meh?

Does this often happens? coz this is my 1st time encountering this.

N i m glad to know dat there is a sound when one opens the door.....coz i was abt to ask dat too...wahahah!

Edited by Conned

"..even the throttle is a fake one with a sensor..." ....I think this applies only to A5 aka e-throttle/drive-by-wire.

The A4 still uses the good old belden throttle cable.

Yeap .... remember reading somewhere in the manual to keep your hands off the fans when you open up the bonnet as the fans might "mysteriously start" & causing injuries sly.gif ... even if you've switched off the engine & removed the keys.

I perferred the A4 pedal, if you screw up, it'll kick back at you.sly.gif for manual to prevent a stall. I remember once when i was slowing down and forgot to put to neutral, the pedal was furiously kicking my foot.

that's right. When I open the doors, there's a faint 'bzzzz' sound for abt 3 seconds. Only audible if the surrounding is pretty quiet or else you wouldn't even notice it.

Still wondering what's starting up during that period .... tongue.gif

I always assumed it was like an inducter or something charging up in prep for starting the engine. Or fuel pump. Never figured it out and was suprised that the A5 also has that.

I'm not sure if superb has this as well.

Acutally, this is very common...

but if your car is having it's fan on always when u switch off.... then some problem might be coming up... the fan will continue to be switch on if the water temperature/engine oil temperature remains at a high level.... your fan should only be on after spirited driving....

the sound when u unlock the car or open the door is common... happens on all continentals especially citroen with hydractive suspension...

think the petrol pump increased it's pressure and getting ready to start with internal checks on it's sensors...

citroen cars are even weird.. the suspension sometimes will auto increase/decrease... there's once when we are resting after a soccer game and one guy sat on my boot, it auto compensate the increased weight and he got a shock...

cheerio

Edited by Chweech

That normal, my fabia is got such experience. At first i so dumb to think that the Turbo. Haha, it just the fan taking a long time to turn off due to the engine heat!

hmmm..this thing happend to my bread and butter pica just now...parked at my MSCP higher floor. Engine off and key plucked out, then when locking the car and hear somesort of fan whizzling...go around and listen and saw that it was my radiator fan... :wacko:

Tried cranking start the car again and stop engine again and pull out key. The fan is still spinning... [:(]

Tot usually wun happened...let it run for more than a minute, scared that it will drained off my battery, so quickly opened my fuse box and unplugged the radiator fuse. Then the fan stop spinning.

Any bros have this scenario happening? the car din show any overheating symptoms leh...izzit normal? or the thermostat faulty?or fuse blow? Tot this thing usually happen to conti cars only when I went do some research just now...[:(]

one time i tried to be patient , nvm i give it a chance to off itself so i timed , ccb after 2 min still blowing?? just like dell shlt pc from sleep mode wake up

Sounds like turbo timer to cool down turbo. My friend mini got something like this [:p]

No leh...my ride has been stock since day 1...just now went to take a look...fan has stopped and bonnet slightly cooled...not sure whether wana put back radiator fuse anot scared wait the fan auto start again when I am away then tomorrow will face a dead battery... [:(]

↡ Advertisement