BMW 3 series or Lexus IS250

Fivegear

which engine is more refined? the bmw or lexus one?

If you are comparing local versions of 320, 323 325 against IS250. The IS250 engine beats the BMW engines hand down.

Alot of people don't know this but European models and local models are using different engines. Take the 320i for eg. Local 320i from PML is rated at just 150HP and 200Nm and 10.5:1 compression. The Euro models are producing 170HP and 210Nm and 12:1 compression.

↡ Advertisement

BMW 3 series any day over the Lexus (aka Toyota)......its not just whats under the hood, theres a refined understated elegance about the 3 series that makes it even more desireable then the Mercedes contractors car....

I am different from you. I would avoid all the new BMWs. They are a total dissapointment compared to past models. I have own old E30, E36 and E39. Its not the most comfortable car around. Its not the fastest. But it delivers sheer driving pleasure. You can call it a driver's car. Thats the magic of BMW. The ultimate driving machine.

I was a BMW enthusaist and I love BMWs. Sadly those good old days of BMWs are gone...... I test drive the latest 320 and 523 and I was terribly dissapointed. Its very comfortable, its quiet and its filled with the latest gadgets etc..... But it does not deliver that magical driving pleasure associated with old BMWs. It feels just like any other car out there except a little more refine. thats about all. I don't have to talk about electronic problems associated with BMWs.... just check out bimmerforums and other forums.

I have never tried IS250 before thus I can't really comment on it.

If you are comparing local versions of 320, 323 325 against IS250. The IS250 engine beats the BMW engines hand down.

Alot of people don't know this but European models and local models are using different engines. Take the 320i for eg. Local 320i from PML is rated at just 150HP and 200Nm and 10.5:1 compression. The Euro models are producing 170HP and 210Nm and 12:1 compression.

how come PML so stingy with the specs?

bmw 3 series definately....i like the car....but then again its a bit boring....and what do i need the status of driving a bmw for? :)

Aiiyoooooo this weekend so test drive at the showroom laaaa now sale so bad - they will treat you like king ..... :wub:

how come PML so stingy with the specs?

I think it has sumting to do with our SG import tax being higher, so better bring in the basic model then try sell cheap for better profit. [cool]

bmw 3 series definately....i like the car....but then again its a bit boring....and what do i need the status of driving a bmw for? :)

if you can afford one, you would not be saying that.

sour grapes?

I am different from you. I would avoid all the new BMWs. They are a total dissapointment compared to past models. I have own old E30, E36 and E39. Its not the most comfortable car around. Its not the fastest. But it delivers sheer driving pleasure. You can call it a driver's car. Thats the magic of BMW. The ultimate driving machine.

I was a BMW enthusaist and I love BMWs. Sadly those good old days of BMWs are gone...... I test drive the latest 320 and 523 and I was terribly dissapointed. Its very comfortable, its quiet and its filled with the latest gadgets etc..... But it does not deliver that magical driving pleasure associated with old BMWs. It feels just like any other car out there except a little more refine. thats about all. I don't have to talk about electronic problems associated with BMWs.... just check out bimmerforums and other forums.

Whats your definnition of the "new BMs"? I suppose u include the E90s....which is what i am driving although its 4 years old now. I still like the way she handles and the lay-out of the car is still driving oriented. By that i mean the interior is not like a christmas tree with all the fancy lights, the dashboard is clean and simple compared to the IS250, and yet everything is where it needs to be.

I have not driven the old BMs but i have test driven the IS250, its like any jap car. The steering is so light there is absolutely no "feel" of the road and no sense of control that i get with the BM. And other then the Mark Levinson speakers i dont fancy anything else in the car.

With the Bm they dont need fancy speakers to sell the car...the car is sold on its own merits.....but i agree with u 100% on the electrical problems and the reliability of the BM...

bro

must compare apple with apple mah. IS250 compare with C280 la

That is still not apple with apple.

The C280 is a 3L V6, developing 230+ BHP and 300 Nm.

0-100 in 7.2 secs.

The IS250 cannot even touch.

I was a BMW enthusaist and I love BMWs. Sadly those good old days of BMWs are gone...... I test drive the latest 320 and 523 and I was terribly dissapointed.

+1 ... agree with you on this.

Personally, I don't like the current BMW Valvetronic N52 (6 cylinder) and N46 (4 cylinder) engines either and have stayed away from them.

My last BMW had the M54 ... that engine was a classic beaut of a 6-pot.

Whats your definnition of the "new BMs"? I suppose u include the E90s....which is what i am driving although its 4 years old now. I still like the way she handles and the lay-out of the car is still driving oriented.

3-er models have been compared many times in British BMW mags, re their handling prowess.

The best handling 3-er is still the E36, followed by the E46 and then the E90 and E30 (in that order).

Chronologically however, the models came out in the following order E21 (1975-1983); E30 (1982-1992); E36 (up to 2000); E46 (up to 2006) and now E90 (to-date).

Thus the older 3-ers do actually handle better than the current E90 (with the exception of the first 3-er models, the E21 and E30).

Now is this a result of BMW having lost its chassis tuning touch, toward achieving a higher level of comfort? Don't know .....

+1 ... agree with you on this.

Personally, I don't like the current BMW Valvetronic N52 (6 cylinder) and N46 (4 cylinder) engines either and have stayed away from them.

My last BMW had the M54 ... that engine was a classic beaut of a 6-pot.

I too dislike the valvetronic engines. I still like the older M50/M54 engines. They are simply awesome. For 4 potters, I love the M42 (it has lots of potential) and S14 (a true bred racing engine).

Aiiyoooooo this weekend so test drive at the showroom laaaa now sale so bad - they will treat you like king ..... :wub:

Lol.... But I don't think I want to test it out. The only thing I like about IS250 is its 4GR-FSE engine. ITs because its one of the most advance engines in the market. Drop in a Supercharger and power will be yum yum.......

But now, I have put BMW behind me already.... Sold my E39 and bought a Celica ST185. Its a piece of Rally history.... Fell in love with rally cars now.

Edited by Nmnhnlm

Lol.... But I don't think I want to test it out. The only thing I like about IS250 is its 4GR-FSE engine. ITs because its one of the most advance engines in the market. Drop in a Supercharger and power will be yum yum.......

But now, I have put BMW behind me already.... Sold my E39 and bought a Celica ST185. Its a piece of Rally history.... Fell in love with rally cars now.

The Tom's Supercharged Mark X (3L, 06/07 model) is essentially a supercharged up-sized 4GR-FSE. It is fricking awesome on the RWD platform; I know a dude in Sg who actually applied for special permission to import it (required as it doesn't means LTA emission standards) successfully and paid upwards of $16xk for it.

One hell of a car.

the IS250 is a crappy car, high cc but under powered, cramp, outdated styling, is essentially a toyota , and worse of all, it has no resale value unlike bmw. verdict, only people who doesnt enjoy driving go for it. and you can tell who are the ones in the forum.

↡ Advertisement