Marine Aquarium

Contax

I'm getting interested in the marine aquarium however I don't know where or how to start.

Any master/expert or sifu around to kindly guide me ?

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Maintaining a marine aquarium, the essential items as follows; -

1) main tank with Overflow,

2) another tank about the same size the main tank to compensate the overflow.

3) Chiller (hp depend on your tank size)

4) lighting (10,000k) -like HID

5) skimmer (like filter)

6) pumps - at least 2 large one (one for chiller)

The thickness of glass depend on the size of the tank.

Fishes and corals can get from fish farm.

Now can buy seawater instead of the salt.

I give up years ago, due to time and most importantly, marble floor at current flat.

Cheers,

wah... marine aquarium not simple leh... must check the salt level, temperature etc.

So more, with chiller, cannister filters, lighting etc.... your electrical bill sure [jawdrop]

I started a marine tank abt 3 to 4 yrs ago. Yeah, alot of time n money wasted. U rellie got to be patient and the initial set up is quite tedious.

Salt content doesn't change tt easily, its the PH, KH levels that change. So u gt to add some powdered formula to keep it in check. Then marine rocks aren't cheap and u gt to add calcium powder to it.

Initially, i was quite kan cheong to add fishes before my tank stablised. So in less than 3 months, I had lots of fishes, and one day, almost the whole population was wiped out, due to overcrowding. My foolishness. Be patient n wait for 6 months or more before adding the more expensive fishes.

Now i almost giving up my tank, the water conditions has stablised so much, tt i dun even bother abt it and my 2 fishes are still remaining. I can't buy any more new fishes as these 2 seems to eat anything smaller than them, and they have grown quite huge.

My lighting gave problems, my water pump ever broke down, abit sian. If u always meddle with ur tank, the floor around the tank will be a lil sticky also.

But i am juz a novice, u should visit the forums and see wat they say. And i only keep marnine fishes without corals. If u throw corals into the picture, its going to be way more tedious.

I have kept fishes since young, and i got to agree, marine fishes though the nicest to look at due to their vibrant colours and cute species, they are expensive n delicate fishes to keep.

visit the sgreef forum and buy a 2nd hand tank maybe only $50 whole set.

read the newbies thread to start off.

easy setup

1. set tank up

2. ready water pump and light

3. run water

4. if using salt mix, mix with e plain water (make sure u measure salinity)

5. if not, just add seawater

6. let it circulate for 1 day

7. add live rocks. these either u buy from the forum, or from the shop/farm

8. add sand if u want, some people live bottom bare

9. by now u shld have a running tank with water and lights

10. wait 1 month for cycling

11. add 1 new fish. cheap n strong. eg. damsel.

12. add 1 new fish every month. go slow.

13. depending on size of tank, think add around 5 small fish in a 2ft tank is enough

thats for simple setup for fish only.

the costs go up once u want corals and more fish. u need chiller, protein skimmer, good set of lights, maybe a calcium reactor and what not.

estimated around 500-600 for 2nd hand ones (soso quality, not the best). mthly elect bill around $50-100.

my advice is be realistic with your budget. for elect. stuff please buy the good stuff and dont save on that. equipment must invest. so smelly smelly also around few hundred dollars. when you have the equipment, then you can invest in nice fish and corals. else u will just be killing the livestock, waste $. and livestock not cheap either, can be #5 cheap one to few hundred for gems.

Edited by Metalslug

[nod] I'm one lazy bugger who kept a huge circular tank in the office lobby but I left the maintenance to the professionals that comes in once a month for $400 (per trip) to replace dead fish and corals and to clean the tank. Each time they change the tank it will look nice only for a couple of weeks and then algae will grow and fish start to die (esp. during weekend or power failure to the building). Then the salt also causes corrosion to the cabinet that holds the huge circular tank (2 meters in diameter). Then the last straw came when the water was contaminated by a dead fish and I have to start the whole tank all over again after 4 yrs...I finally removed it [nod]

Luckily I nvr start one at home cos at one point I was crazy over lion fishes (Pterois Volitans).

But if one have the time and money to spare, it is definitely a wonderful view to look at to destress a little bit [thumbsup]

too tedious.. involve too much $$. better not venture into this.

It's really nice to look at especially with all those colourful corals and fishes....but behind all these are the $$$$$ [sweatdrop] and time..

Maintaining a marine aquarium, the essential items as follows; -

1) main tank with Overflow,

2) another tank about the same size the main tank to compensate the overflow.

3) Chiller (hp depend on your tank size)

4) lighting (10,000k) -like HID

5) skimmer (like filter)

6) pumps - at least 2 large one (one for chiller)

The thickness of glass depend on the size of the tank.

Fishes and corals can get from fish farm.

Now can buy seawater instead of the salt.

I give up years ago, due to time and most importantly, marble floor at current flat.

Cheers,

thanks bro. [thumbsup]

wah... marine aquarium not simple leh... must check the salt level, temperature etc.

So more, with chiller, cannister filters, lighting etc.... your electrical bill sure [jawdrop]

I think easily another $50-$100 more .... [:p]

if u cant find a setup to buy then have to build from scratch. tank makers quite alot.

for fish accessories can try petmart at serangoon north, my personal favourite.

for livestock, try the farms at pasir ris.