KL Rocket Meter : Passengers Overcharged By Cabby Cheats

Maxus-MIFA9

Read a report in yesterday copy of New Paper on the incident of cabby cheats at KL. A reporter whilst travelling in KL for a 4 km ride was charged RM60 (S$26) about the distance of Tanglin Mall to Suntec City. The taxi driver apparently had rigged his cab with a "Rocket Meter" which caused the fare meter to change at a faster rate than usual. [:p][:p]

The reporter was riding with an official from Malaysia's Road Transport Department (JPJ) who flagged the suspected taxi for a ride. They notice a wire near the driver's seat running under a rubber mat on the cab floor. (see photo attach) The wire appeared to be connected to the fare meter at one end and the other to the button that opens the vehicle boot. How the wire work was not mentioned in the report. [sly]

So, beware when you are taking a taxi in KL. With the report made known in MY, I strongly believe that the taxi drivers with "Rocket Meter" will target the less suspecting tourist next. Especially Singaporean who will be going to MY during the year end school holidays. [nod][nod][nod]

Anyone who suspect that they had been cheated could report to JPJ, Complaints and Investigation Unit at 03-0420 2223 or after office hours = 03-4023 6470.

post-15-1190944062_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

most people will know the price from a to b. but its the tourist that really have to take note of. my way is to ask the sales people/cashier inside any shopping center on the average price from your current location to the next one. works like a charm. [;)]

This is nothing new, happens all the time in KL... the New Paper just looking for news to fill up their space. You can overcome that by driving around yourself... not too difficult or just take the LRT of possible. If you really must take a cab, better cross your finger or check the price with the cabbie first.

Like 'Comfy' I usually asked the hotel staff or shopping mall info desk about an estimate of the fare if it's going by the meter. After a while you will know roughly how much it will cost to get from point A-B.

rocket meter... very funny description laugh.gif

it happens in many countries. as others have said, if u r in a foreign land, ask around for an indicative price for taxi fares going to your destination.

normally the cab fare there is flat rate of 10 to 20 ringgit. very hard to find cab that use meter. but there was once i met a very nice penang guy working in kl. he saw that i have difficulty hiring a cab, in the end he give me a free ride to the same destination. wanted to pay for the cab fare, but he rejected and paid instead

taxis fleecing locals and especially tourists is common throughout the world.

other common tricks r:

1. taking u for a long ride

2. change to smaller wheels so that the wheels have to turn more rounds to cover the same distance eg change from a 15" to 14"

3. no small change

laugh.giflaugh.gif..this taxi driver deserves it lipsrsealed.gif...

JPJ is in the house laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

maybe should get our TPs to board taxis too sly.gif...

so when cabbies drive recklessly ...

TPs can summon them immiediately rolleyes.gif

↡ Advertisement