Fresh Grad Need Help (IT sector)

Zhihao

looks like quite a few here doing v well in IT sector, so hopefully a few k give me some really gd advice...

am gg to grad in about 8mths time(NTU computer eng)...so feeling the heat liao [sweatdrop]

have dilemma, dunno whether to go engineering firm and do "really" IT stuff or join bank become backend technology...

really v confused, cause i dun think i'm suitable to be "pure" engineer (dunno hw to xplain) plus IT firms increment and starting pay like nt very attractive(correct me if i wrong) as compared to bank (although backend)...

but worry is if i go bank do IT i scared become 2nd class citizen...cause i heard b4 some bank the big big head for IT can even be ppl doing finance one, so it looks like they dun value IT ppl v well...anyone here doing Tech stuff in bank?? if its project and development of SW for some banking needs then nt so bad, but if ask me go service computer and troubleshoot then nt my cup of tea(no offence to those bros doing this,but i really dun like)...but when i see bank offering starting pay for back-end technology to be 3k+, sometimes i tink 3rd class citizen oso nvm...[laugh] also i scared go bank technology cannot learn much, am i correct?

another option which i was wondering is what the Big4 audits are offering...i tink its quite a new field, something like IT risk management, u go client place, audit, see their needs then deploy...i went for their talks, sounds super interesting and most impt k learn a lot...BUT as u know big4 like kiam ka nah...starting pay 2.4k...nt tat i asking for sky, but market rate for com eng easily above tat...those ppl doing accounting still ok since 3yr course...kns i study 4 yr then make me do one super xiong FYP then same pay...like a bit sian...think they do something like accenture but more focused on security side...

was thinking also do pre-sales, cause i really like the idea of prsale and most imply i like to do presentations and meet ppl, but heard tat its quite impossible for fresh grad to become one in an MNC, is it true? also heard pre-sales ppl k be easily replaced...

thanks for the long read...ur comments much appreciated... [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

starting pay 2.4k...nt tat i asking for sky, but market rate for com eng easily above tat...those ppl doing accounting still ok since 3yr course...kns i study 4 yr then make me do one super xiong FYP then same pay...like a bit sian..

i tink ur mentality is still a kid. with such a mindset, no matter wat u do also useless. forgive my blatantness. go think about it when u sleep

PM=project manager?

so u suggesting a line in SW development?

but the prob is where u do this SW also like v impt...in a bank?? in a It firm?? in oil industry??? diff thing is to decide which one...?? any advice?

have gt a v good link

http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/specialre...62003712,00.htm

scroll all the way down, ironically, u k see that the ppl who get the best pay are those doing IT in finance and legal...nt the IT companies, in fact the IT companies paid the worst! (provided this survey thing is accurate la)

Not exactly unhappy and not exactly pay-related. [;)]

With reasonable qualification, one should not be too worried about jumping ship if the current ship doesn't reward well. [:p]

If I had entered into banking/finance sector 10 years ago, I would be more investment-savvy today. I think it is a good skill set to acquire.

Edited by Albeniz

ic...

but i heard u go bank do wat oso v impt...

i HEARD(they say nt i say) if u do back office oso nt really learn much, just manually process jobs...

abt ur jumping ship thing, i gave it a thought b4...if jump semi related industry still ok...but if like electrical eng to bank after 5yrs, imho i think really hard...in fact if u die die wanna jump maybe be prepared to take pay cut, n nt many ppl willing to take lesser pay, unlearn and learn completely new things...

anyway, tink for ur case no need for regrets la...i'm sure u r doing pretty well now oso... [thumbsup] ...aiya investment nt hard one la, every wed sat sun then invest lor...how hard k choosing 4 numbers be [laugh]

Choose an area that you have passion and is good in it. It is a very competitive industry and if you try going into an area where you can't stand your head above all others, it's difficult to excel and get recognised.

Don't worry too much about starting pay, efforts to focus in grooming yourself in your strengths will pay off in time to come. Don't forget to give yourself as much exposure as possible as well as you may discover your untapped strengths along the way.

Many people make the mistake of choosing the highest starting pay and ended up without a focus in their career.

looks like quite a few here doing v well in IT sector, so hopefully a few k give me some really gd advice...

am gg to grad in about 8mths time(NTU computer eng)...so feeling the heat liao [sweatdrop]

have dilemma, dunno whether to go engineering firm and do "really" IT stuff or join bank become backend technology...

really v confused, cause i dun think i'm suitable to be "pure" engineer (dunno hw to xplain) plus IT firms increment and starting pay like nt very attractive(correct me if i wrong) as compared to bank (although backend)...

but worry is if i go bank do IT i scared become 2nd class citizen...cause i heard b4 some bank the big big head for IT can even be ppl doing finance one, so it looks like they dun value IT ppl v well...anyone here doing Tech stuff in bank?? if its project and development of SW for some banking needs then nt so bad, but if ask me go service computer and troubleshoot then nt my cup of tea(no offence to those bros doing this,but i really dun like)...but when i see bank offering starting pay for back-end technology to be 3k+, sometimes i tink 3rd class citizen oso nvm...[laugh] also i scared go bank technology cannot learn much, am i correct?

another option which i was wondering is what the Big4 audits are offering...i tink its quite a new field, something like IT risk management, u go client place, audit, see their needs then deploy...i went for their talks, sounds super interesting and most impt k learn a lot...BUT as u know big4 like kiam ka nah...starting pay 2.4k...nt tat i asking for sky, but market rate for com eng easily above tat...those ppl doing accounting still ok since 3yr course...kns i study 4 yr then make me do one super xiong FYP then same pay...like a bit sian...think they do something like accenture but more focused on security side...

was thinking also do pre-sales, cause i really like the idea of prsale and most imply i like to do presentations and meet ppl, but heard tat its quite impossible for fresh grad to become one in an MNC, is it true? also heard pre-sales ppl k be easily replaced...

please do not take offence on what i'm going to post.

firstly, many IT fresh grads always expect to be paid the so called 'market rate' but without experience (only with a degree), many companies (especially local), are not too willing to pay what you expected.

i've interviewed many fresh grads and they all gave me the impression of "i'm an IT grad and i deserve to be paid that much". these people i normally put their CVs aside. firms take in fresh grads as they understands that these fresh grads need experience and they have to start somewhere, but they're not worth to be paid that so called 'market rate'. also, every company has their own starting pay/grade scale for different qualification/experience employees.

so start somewhere low, find out what you're good at, and change when necessary.

You are a fresh grad. Unless you have a good honor degree and gets your self a Intern Management program, be prepare to work your socks off for the first 4 to 5 years.

IT isn't second class citizen. Just because of what you've heard that head of IT can be your CFO or Financial Controller. (Which is true). Because what many IT practitioners failed to understand is that at management level, having a sound business mindset is more important than a technical one.

You might not like to go into management but stick to being a technically inclined. which is fine if that is your passion. But the limit in terms of how high you can go will come much sooner then you expect.

Most importantly is whatever route you choose, go in with a learning mindset. Learning as much as you can for the old birds. Don't expect to be paid "market rate" because fresh grads lacks the skills to command such salary.

1) Do you know what ITSM is and how to effectively deliver and measure it?

2) Tell me what ITIL is and how a lack of an effective configuration management can result service failure.

3) Technical question - What is the primary consideration in building a server farm? Power, Cooling, Ingress/Egress or Environmental.

Can you answer those questions. Because if you want to be paid market rate these are the questions to need to convince people like me that you know your stuff.

I started as a Poly grad in Yr2000 drawing $1600 per month. Now, I make many times that in IT management. But then 70% of my time are not spent in technical areas but in business areas. I believe I am qualified to set your mindset correctly.

Edited by Kyousuke

Hmmmm...... Why should I pay you to train you since your are a freshee ?? How about you pay me $2.4k so that I will teach you when you graduate.

Relax friend.. just take it as a challenge for siong job when u are young. Don't think/worry so much abt the starting pay.. u will gain more experience later and can negotiate for better pay.

my friend went into IT audit or network audit after at big 4 for 3 years...after he had his acca,he continue take course for IT to suit his work in the IT audit..

btw starting 2.4k in big 4 consdier high liao imo..but their increment is [sweatdrop] one...his starting only 1.8 but after 3 years..coming to 3-4 [sweatdrop]

starting pay 2.4k...nt tat i asking for sky, but market rate for com eng easily above tat...those ppl doing accounting still ok since 3yr course...kns i study 4 yr then make me do one super xiong FYP then same pay...like a bit sian..

i tink ur mentality is still a kid. with such a mindset, no matter wat u do also useless. forgive my blatantness. go think about it when u sleep

I second that base on current job market. [nod] You Rocky 4 fan is it? The training montage is timeless gem right? [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement