Anyone still enjoy windscreen cleaning by pump attendants?

Maroon5

Its only scratches.... why make a big fuss.. they are making a honest living...

I am thinking from business and management perspective.

While i agree they are making a living, in a long run it does not value add or aid to generate revenue to the organzation.

I cannot agree that it is only a scratch. It is reflective of the organisations attitude. If a person preparing food in Mcdonalds is not wearing a cap and hair gets into your fries? What happened if the car involved was a ferrari or bentley and if the owner is very "niao"? Can GG from the pump attendant all the way up to the Director.

↡ Advertisement

Dont mind i ask a pointed question - what is the role of pump attendant these days? Why not pump yourself?

My friends car was scratched by pump attendant's ring when he was fidgeting with the fuel cap. Lol

I suspect other than helping to pump petrol, their main role is to watch out for drivers who pump n go without paying. There are such low life in SG. I heard the cashiers will have to absorp such losses as they are suppose to monitor pump payment.

In 10 years of car ownership i always pumped my own car. The reason is because I find it very shiok to pump full tank into my own car. I always politely tell the pump attendent waiting by the fuel lid and they can go help those that genuinely need help.

An advice for those that like to pump, do stand away from the fuel opening while fuel is flowing as there are very toxic vapor. U can smell it. I always stand at the other side of the car while waiting for full tank.

Edited by Columbian78
  • Praise 1

I suspect other than helping to pump petrol, their main role is to watch out for drivers who pump n go without paying. There are such low life in SG. I heard the cashiers will have to absorp such losses as they are suppose to monitor pump payment.

Yes. It is probably true. I heard that from the cashier aunty before.

Why can't we be like Msia or US, pay first?

What is the history of our pumps?

While i agree they are making a living, in a long run it does not value add or aid to generate revenue to the organzation.

I cannot agree that it is only a scratch. It is reflective of the organisations attitude. If a person preparing food in Mcdonalds is not wearing a cap and hair gets into your fries? What happened if the car involved was a ferrari or bentley and if the owner is very "niao"? Can GG from the pump attendant all the way up to the Director.

can give detail and example?...

• Praise 8

please lah... i had more dents and scratches on my car from inconsiderate car owners who parked beside me than pump attendants

• Praise 5

I disagree. If all petrol cartels think the same way and cut all attendents. Yes. Savings. But how many job losses...

I believe theres a need for empthay than more profits.....

One reason why theres job cuts is coz of cutting reduncy works. But at what cost.

But if all similar industry player insist on not cutting the reduncy to keep jobs. So no competitors save and thus all still get to compete on fair ground.

Sadly this thinking is obselete and i fear more jobs are being cut..

Imagine your boss tell u your job is redundant. U are fired.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

I disagree. If all petrol cartels think the same way and cut all attendents. Yes. Savings. But how many job losses...

One reason why theres job cuts is coz of cutting reduncy works. But at what cost.

But if all similar industry player insist on not cutting the reduncy to keep jobs. So no competitors save and thus all still get to compete on fair ground.

Let's bring back lift attendants. It's helps to create jobs and ensure safety.
  • Praise 1

I agree with you principle of empathy but not the actual method of achieving it. 

Bro @mkl22 already cited an example of how it seem going backwards in jest. 

Let me give another example: food court/hawker center tray/dish clearing workers. Do we want to revert back to pre-independence state of civil consciousness and ask everyone not to clear their own table just so that jobs can be created for these group of workers? 

Just recently, I was stopped by an attendant while driving out of the petrol station. Turns out the cashier charged the wrong pump to me and they thought i didn't pay!

Dont mind i ask a pointed question - what is the role of pump attendant these days? Why not pump yourself?

My friends car was scratched by pump attendant's ring when he was fidgeting with the fuel cap. Lol

If car owner scare pump attendant scratch your car, can always pump yourself de la.

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Let's bring back lift attendants. It's helps to create jobs and ensure safety.

Lift attendants are still common in Japan. It's not a backward idea.

Didn't allow them to wipe the windscreen cos i have coating done. Don't know what is in their spray bottle so better don't take the risk.

This is true. My windshield cowl plastic got discoloured/stained after the spray dripped down and the attendant didn't wipe off cleanly. Last time I ever got my windshield cleaned at the petrol station.  

Agreed. There are other jobs for retirees that are more productive. Having a pump attendant only increases cost.

I happen to have a client that operate a few of these petrol pumps.

The role of pump attendant is to 1) drive sales at the mart 2) to help the lady drivers  pump, who would others wise pump somewhere else.

Anyway, they are paid less than 1k, so if they wipe windscreen, do give a small tip.

There are a few kiosks without petrol attendants one, don't think petrol is cheaper there.

The savings in these guys' salaries will never be passed on to consumers, so why worry about cost of these attendants ?

Only the oil majors make more, unless you are a shareholder, who cares.

• Praise 1

I will not allowed any pump attendant to touch my windscreen and they will not touch too.

Because if it is always cleaned, why need to clean?  :D

The role of pump attendant is to 1) drive sales at the mart 2) to help the lady drivers  pump, who would others wise pump somewhere else.

I am going to see myself as a pump attendant to my wife from now on.

I get pissed off with pump attendants taking their own sweet time wiping the windscreen of other cars and ignoring incoming cars that need to pump petrol. I once asked an attendant whether his main job as a pump attendant was pumping petrol or grooming cars.